Poll: Do You Think We Will Be Better or Worse Off in 5 Years?

Over the next 5 years, do you think GT will do better, worse or about the same as under Johnson?

• Better

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Worse

Votes: 63 40.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I waited a day to post so everyone could take a deep breath.

The sky is not falling. Nor are we going to perennially be a top 20 team. I think we get more of the same from who ever the new coach is. I trust TStan to do his job and believe he has GT's best interests at heart.

People asked me today whether I was happy or upset that CPJ retired. Neither I guess. Just time to get on with the transition.

There have been a lot of studies that show that regardless of coach, a school's performance stays about the same. It has been that way for GT with the last three coaches; O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson. I'll update the chart below after the bowl game since it was done before the season started, but Johnson will still be just a bit less than O'Leary or Gailey.
image.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what you mean. Comparing to the overall picture of Johnson's tenure? Probably initially worse. Transition doesn't look like it will be as smooth as the last time because the defense isn't nearly as good or nearly as talanted as the one Johnson took over, so any sort of transition on offense will also be compounded with likely a mediocre defense.

Comparing to recent results? Probably similar and likely a bit better. We're .500 the last 4 years. I expect to be better than that over the next 4 with pretty much any name I've heard batted around.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If the school doesn’t commit more to football, it will play out like this:
On the high end, Tech will become Virginia. A program that does OK some years and poorly others, but never beats their rival.

On the low end, Tech will become Vanderbilt south.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The same. Johnson despite his hot start basically proved the Chan Gailey Equilibrium is the Georgia Tech Equilibrium.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a silly question before knowing who we bring in. The answer to the question hinges 100% on the hire.

So my answer is yes and no. Worse and better. Up and down. Fast and slow.
The question is not silly. It requires an assumption of the capability of a coach we could and would hire.
I am afraid there is low probability of hiring a better coach, although I sure hope we get an outlier on the positive side of the curve!

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
No way we get worse, will probably be around the same or maybe better. If you seriously think it’s going to get worse why continue to waste your time supporting something you don’t believe in?

“No way we get worse.” Dude, I know you hate the triple option, but it could definitely get worse.

Why continue to “waste my time” even if I think it might get worse? Cause I can still be entertained and enjoy something I care about even if I don’t think they are going to win a National Championship.