Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Tucker Gleason

Votes: 19 6.7%
  • Jeff Sims

Votes: 51 18.1%

• Total voters

LibertyTurns

Banned
Anyone that had JT ahead of Vad is suffering from revisionist's history. Vad was clearly the #1 until he got his clock cleaned in that one game (think it was UNC but not sure).
That was the personal opinion of one of our coaches at the time. Same guy made the comment about the player’s opinions.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yates, then Sims or Gleason. The more I read the boards and talk to knowledgeable fans (yes, there are some out there. Subjective and definitely few and far
between ;-) ) the more I am solidifying on Yates being the starter. Ironically, it wouldn’t surprise me if graham was the safe #2 to start. Obviously using “safe” loosely.

Someone had a really good point about starting the season against Clemson. That’s a wildcard in that they are so much better than anyone else we will face except Uga at seasons end (by which time new qb and new ol should be good to go experience wise). Will the coaching staff have an extreme game plan like last year that skews to a different qb just for this first game? Was last year more because it was the first game in this transition? I think so but with this staff who knows (I view that as a positive by the way).

Surprised that graham leads this poll. Just don’t see it.
Serious question, what knowledgeable fans or info have you read that makes you think Yates? This is nothing against Yates, because he’s a good athlete, but to me he’s just that, an athlete playing QB. If you watch his film you don’t see him making all the throws you’d like to see being made. I’m not saying he can’t make those throws, but he didn’t show that he could so I don’t know why people are thinking he will be the starter without evidence of what he can do. Out of all the film on the QB’s from high school, Gleason is a good bit above all of them. That’s why the staff offered so early and why he had an offer from UGA imo. This isn’t a hit on the other guys because all of them are talented. It’s just my opinion that Gleason is on a different level.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t be the first time. Wasn’t Justin Thomas widely viewed by the team as the top QB but sat behind Vad?

Very different scenario. Both were in an active competition, and both had burned their shirts. JT got a lot of PT. The 4 game RS rule wasn't in effect. And we were actually trying to be a competitive team overall at that time. There where a lot more opportunities to get Yates some reps this year with nothing of consequence on the line, and it didn't really happen. I think one of his 4 games he was in for 1 play (2pt conversion rushing attempt).

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think transfers will happen at the QB position this year. With the new redshirt rules I think everyone knows they will get in 2-4 games. Sims nor Tucker are expecting to start, they expect some PT at points in the season but I think they both know they have to learn first. Graham will start and with LJ transferring Yates will be the back up and see the field often. Tucker or Sims, if not both, eventually redshirt. The real question of who stays and goes will come in 2021.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
So I was told after the temple game by a player’s dad that he was hearing all the kids thought Yates was the best QB on the team and that they didn’t want to waste a year of him last year.

IF that’s even remotely true (big IF) and IF Collins says the best players play, then Yates would be the starter, right?

I picked Graham.

I've got one of the team trainers that works at our office. Hearing the same thing about Yates (of course this is before Simms), that he's the best. By far.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got one of the team trainers that works at our office. Hearing the same thing about Yates (of course this is before Simms), that he's the best. By far.

I don't believe it but I'm happy to be proven wrong. This isn't the NFL, we don't get draft picks for tanking. Yates was only used in the Duke game (and for a meaningless two point conversion they probably could have ran Oliver out for) VT, and UGA (which were both slaughters). If Yates could have helped Tech beat the Citadel, we would have seen him especially as QB depth was thin.

If he was the best by far you'd have to think he'd be given a chance to win the job outright.

Then again - maybe the coaches thought we'd move the ball better with what we had.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That is the reason he is a trainer and not a coach. Just can't seeing any coach thinking I'll blow off this year and not play my best player. That would cause problems with the team chemistry ( like the B** L**** years) the players know who is the best players.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
That is the reason he is a trainer and not a coach. Just can't seeing any coach thinking I'll blow off this year and not play my best player. That would cause problems with the team chemistry ( like the B** L**** years) the players know who is the best players.

He/She is not making their own analysis here...

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Yates could very well be a lot better than graham. He had the disadvantage of starting school in the fall and often times the college game is too fast for the freshman at the start of the year. At least both our true freshman QBs this year are EEs.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't take the fact that Yates took a RS to mean he's not better than Graham. Really, from the way we jammed the shifter from triple option into traditional spread the way we did last year, I think the coaches cared more about establishing the culture and the offense that they wanted to have into the future. I think it's pretty plausible that Yates could be better than Graham, and that the coaches wanted to make sure they had 4 full years with him.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If Yates has been better than Graham this whole time and the plan was to work him in in 2020 then I'm not sure why he didn't get a bit more playing time in 2019. Even if you wanted to redshirt him, he could have played as much as we wanted in 4 games yet he only really played in one game. Considering how much we were getting blown out last year it seems we could have gotten him more playing time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take the fact that Yates took a RS to mean he's not better than Graham. Really, from the way we jammed the shifter from triple option into traditional spread the way we did last year, I think the coaches cared more about establishing the culture and the offense that they wanted to have into the future. I think it's pretty plausible that Yates could be better than Graham, and that the coaches wanted to make sure they had 4 full years with him.
The counter-argument to that is that they had 4 full games they could have played Yates last year. They didn't do that. One game he had 1 play. Two games he came in after it was a blow-out. If they really thought he was better than Graham last year, he would have played 4 full games, or at least large chunks of 4 full games.

This has no bearing on whether Yates surpasses Graham in the offseason and heading into next year.