#PittvsGT Postgame

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Jeff14, if you recorded the game, there is one play you have to see. We have the ball near the goal line. Sims runs to the right and is immediately under pressure. Running full stride he throws a quick sidearmed dart into the end zone. The receiver is covered well, but the ball slips into the one place it could go for a TD.

Agree with Lee on Rutherford. He is going to be a factor at some point. Tiny but lightning quick.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Overall I thought Sims played a good game. Saw a few flashes of really good. Pitt schemed to keep him bottled up and we did not seem to make any adjustments to get him loose on the outside. The first interception was a mistake on the Oline. However the second interception, while also a breakdown in the Oline, was on Sims. Two Pitt rushers were in his face. He had no chance to get that throw off but he tried anyway. This is bothersome because it is much like several of his many turnovers last seasons, trying to throw too late and getting an unnecessary turnover in the process.

Sims has the capacity to make big plays. The coaches have to scheme to give him those opportunities. He has to offset the likely hood of continuing to make these types of turnovers, until or if he progresses.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
where was our TE. I was back and forth to another game but I don't recall us using our TE at all while I was watching. was he being kept in to block or just not in the game plan this week. at some point in short goal line situations just go with 2 TE, QB under center, and Mason to pound it with Gibbs in the slot. Big boy football. So far our goal line offense is sorta random with a lot of read option. Maybe P doesnt trust the OL. This was a tough loss with several scoring chances not converted.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We have got to figure out the red zone and stop running Gibbs up the middle when our line isn’t getting a clean push with at least 1 lane opening up for him.

That alone would have made the game more competitive and less embarrassing. I know it’s not the case but sometimes I feel like our O is being called to NOT score. Like we either score from beyond the 20 or nothing. Then we get into down and goal situations we penalty ourselves to get back outside the 20.

A few times yesterday I feel like Gibbs tried to get something going by returning a kick we normally would have let bounce into the end zone just to have the ball while not sandwiched between 4-5 OL and DL dudes.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
That's just not true. Under Collins we have lost every Pitt game by double digits. Every CPJ loss was a 1 score game, and when we beat them in 2014 and 2017, it was not close.
A loss is a loss. Pitt has owned this team and it’s mainly due to the trenches.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This was nothing more than boys playing against men! Pitt lined up and punched our O-line and D-line in the mouth! They showed Tech how the game is played.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This was the game I was expecting last week.

I am relieved to see Iceater's post about the number of starting O linemen out. Maybe we aren't as bad there as we looked today with the starters in. Today's blocking looked like Collins' first year again.

What puzzles me the most is what went wrong with the defense. I know the two early scores killed us, but I had the sense that they didn't matter as to whether we could win this one. Pitt could have put up any number of points they needed to win. Last week we got some pressure with our rush, but also our pass coverers managed to stick to the receivers so that we often got to the quarterback because he couldn't find a receiver open. This time the rush was dang near non existent, and there was always someone open eventually. He missed a few or it could have been worse.

Was UNC's line and blocking scheme much worse than Pitt's? Were Pitt's receivers harder to cover than UNC's? Did the Pitt coaches study last week's film and find weaknesses?

Or maybe we just weren't able to play three good games in a row?

I'm pretty low right now, but this year I at least have seen us play well. I know we can do better than today.

Several things gave pitt advantage-- --- really weak warm-up game--they saw what happened to unc and PREPARED---we were over-confident----they had a 6th yr QB---maybe the coaches blow-up was motivation---CG and his coaches are recruiters basically ,not game directors

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's rare to see such an extreme contrast between boom vs. bust:

Good - 3 touchdown drives

Bad
  • 2 INT
  • 4 3-and-outs
  • 3 turnover on downs
  • 1 missed FG

1633276441936.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Can't dismiss the first 2 picks, but looking at this on the whole ain't bad on an individual performance basis.

Some drive killers stick out like the sacks and strange 4th and goal play to McCollum, but it's hard to put those on Sims.

1633276750119.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't watch the game (just as well), but I did see the condensed version. Impressions:

1. I said this once before and got all kinds of flak about it. MOVE GIBBS TO WR. AND START SMITH AT RB. Gibbs has always reminded me of the great Bama WRs; fast, elusive, and able to find a seam with th best of them. But … he doesn't run as hard as Smith or Mason and that's what we need at RB, given the state of the OL. Get Gibbs out to the borders and target him 10 - 15 times game.

2. RUM SIMS MORE. Last weekend we did that and got great results. Yesterday we didn't and, while Sims had a good game, imho he could have been more effective if he had run more. The designed runs worked just fine. More of that, please.

3. Any team that gives Pickett that much time to throw is asking for it and will get it. The guy is a premium QB and you just can't give him that kind of leeway. Of course, the Pitt OL had a lot to do with that.

4. Our OL didn't tear up the pea patch yesterday, but they looked about average. Btw, I now think it is clear why Saban was willing to see Key leave without a counter offer.

5. A technical point, The first Sims interception was not his fault and shouldn't be counted against him. I hav long thought that tipped balls should be counted against the entire O as a tip interception. He should have eaten the ball on the second one, however.

6. And a major gripe against the Tech football site. Used to be that you could easily find the box scores for each game. Now they are buried so deep you need a backhoe to find them. I don't know why this happened, but it needs to stop. Hard to analyze a game without the stats ready to hand.

Well, enough.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
where was our TE. I was back and forth to another game but I don't recall us using our TE at all while I was watching. was he being kept in to block or just not in the game plan this week. at some point in short goal line situations just go with 2 TE, QB under center, and Mason to pound it with Gibbs in the slot. Big boy football. So far our goal line offense is sorta random with a lot of read option. Maybe P doesnt trust the OL. This was a tough loss with several scoring chances not converted.
You must have missed the TE motioning toward the QB, stopping, making a "U" turn, and returning from whence he came. Rinse and repeat. Maybe we should have put him behind one of the guards so that there was another blocker for the Pitt players to run over. Seriously we could have used them better in protection since we rarely throw to them anyway.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I couldn't watch the game (just as well), but I did see the condensed version. Impressions:

1. I said this once before and got all kinds of flak about it. MOVE GIBBS TO WR. AND START SMITH AT RB. Gibbs has always reminded me of the great Bama WRs; fast, elusive, and able to find a seam with th best of them. But … he doesn't run as hard as Smith or Mason and that's what we need at RB, given the state of the OL. Get Gibbs out to the borders and target him 10 - 15 times game.

2. RUM SIMS MORE. Last weekend we did that and got great results. Yesterday we didn't and, while Sims had a good game, imho he could have been more effective if he had run more. The designed runs worked just fine. More of that, please.

3. Any team that gives Pickett that much time to throw is asking for it and will get it. The guy is a premium QB and you just can't give him that kind of leeway. Of course, the Pitt OL had a lot to do with that.

4. Our OL didn't tear up the pea patch yesterday, but they looked about average. Btw, I now think it is clear why Saban was willing to see Key leave without a counter offer.

5. A technical point, The first Sims interception was not his fault and shouldn't be counted against him. I hav long thought that tipped balls should be counted against the entire O as a tip interception. He should have eaten the ball on the second one, however.

6. And a major gripe against the Tech football site. Used to be that you could easily find the box scores for each game. Now they are buried so deep you need a backhoe to find them. I don't know why this happened, but it needs to stop. Hard to analyze a game without the stats ready to hand.

Well, enough.

You should’ve stop typing at point 1. That’s horrible. GIBBS IS NOT A WR!!!!