Pittsburgh game week

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what he means by "overall defense," but we are #68 in yards/play defense. That's why Total Defense is such a great stat for saying our defense has improved. By decreasing the number of plays through our offense, we decrease the yards/game ... especially when teams like UNC and LOLvle are increasing plays/game.

I think he's saying that your reference to strength of schedule fails to appreciate the distinction between the team on the one hand and the offense or defense on the other. I think that he's suggesting that we've played some highly regarded defenses which makes the team more difficult (tough strength of schedule) even though the offenses aren't as strong.
fair nuff.

Jmonty71

Banned
No, we're #28 in total defense.

Our SoS is #23 so that contradicts your other point I highlighted. This is important because the first number is relative to other teams around the country whose competition has been worse than ours according to this ranking.
Yeah... and we played 2 inept offenses, one FCS school, Clemson and Miami. I would only focus on the stats from the last 2 games, as they are more telling. Sorry.. I cannot poke my chest out and claim how great the defense is, when over half the games were against low caliber teams. That #28 or #28 will rise and quickly. St. Roof isn't all that and a bag of chips. We should be proud that Mercer controlled the clock the way they did. We should not be proud that BC controlled the clock. We should not be proud that Clemson only score 26, when they clearly let off the gas. Dabo isn't dumb, he knew he had to save things for Louisville. I will say, after the end of the season our "D" will be ranked in the 50s, maybe 40s, if we're lucky. UNC will light us up. Pitt will score plenty of points. VT looks better on offense, so I don't expect a low scoring game, as in the past. Not being a negative nilly. But, there has to be some realism put into place. Still think Pitt will put 30 on us. Or close to it. Our offense needs to be polished, so we can score 30 as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ummmm....If we end up with a top 45 D.....that will be an improvement from where we have been. I want to see us in the top 30 but so far we are improving. Let's see how it plays out.

On a couple of side notes.

Almost everyone at this point has played a couple of pasties so national ranks are fairly equivalent.

Give me a break with the Clemson let off the gas BS. :banghead: Very little of what went down in that game shows this to be true. Most of what happened points to the exact opposite.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah... and we played 2 inept offenses, one FCS school, Clemson and Miami. I would only focus on the stats from the last 2 games, as they are more telling. Sorry.. I cannot poke my chest out and claim how great the defense is, when over half the games were against low caliber teams. That #28 or #28 will rise and quickly. St. Roof isn't all that and a bag of chips. We should be proud that Mercer controlled the clock the way they did. We should not be proud that BC controlled the clock. We should not be proud that Clemson only score 26, when they clearly let off the gas. Dabo isn't dumb, he knew he had to save things for Louisville. I will say, after the end of the season our "D" will be ranked in the 50s, maybe 40s, if we're lucky. UNC will light us up. Pitt will score plenty of points. VT looks better on offense, so I don't expect a low scoring game, as in the past. Not being a negative nilly. But, there has to be some realism put into place. Still think Pitt will put 30 on us. Or close to it. Our offense needs to be polished, so we can score 30 as well.

Fwiw, I wouldn't be surprised if our Total D (yds/game) ranking doesn't hang in there. A lot of the teams ranked ahead of us haven't played a lot of Pwr5 teams yet. Granted Vandy and BC Offenses, but we're currently #18 in Total D vs pwr 5. Also, as the season goes on, we have a good chance of our offense doing a better job at controlling the clock and limiting possessions, which will help keep our defensive yds/game down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your logic assumes everybody else in the ranking is playing better teams. Guess what... They're not.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ummmm....If we end up with a top 45 D.....that will be an improvement from where we have been. I want to see us in the top 30 but so far we are improving. Let's see how it plays out.

On a couple of side notes.

Almost everyone at this point has played a couple of pasties so national ranks are fairly equivalent.

Give me a break with the Clemson let off the gas BS. :banghead: Very little of what went down in that game shows this to be true. Most of what happened points to the exact opposite.
Agreed. The only thing that happened was the tiggers punted on 4th and short (twice I believe) from around mid-field in the second half. In a tight game, or a game where the opposing offense had been successful, I think they would have gone for it. Besides that, they pretty much ran their offense.

Jmonty71

Banned
Your logic assumes everybody else in the ranking is playing better teams. Guess what... They're not.
Yes, the rest of the games, minus maybe UVA are all better team than Vandy, BC and Mercer. Maybe not as good on defense. But, a hell of a lot better on offense. If Duke wasn't so good, why have we lost to them the last year or so? Comparing Pitt to who out of those 3 teams? UNC? VT? Go ahead... I'll wait.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

(in response to a question about Antonio Simmons' pass rushing ability, said he is most impressed with Pat Gamble on the DL)

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, the rest of the games, minus maybe UVA are all better team than Vandy, BC and Mercer. Maybe not as good on defense. But, a hell of a lot better on offense. If Duke wasn't so good, why have we lost to them the last year or so? Comparing Pitt to who out of those 3 teams? UNC? VT? Go ahead... I'll wait.

and I guess I watched a different game bc Clemson clearly let of the gas. Dabo could have hung 60 easily.
why would he do that when he had a much, much tougher team the next week.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

We pound our chest that we beat an SEC school and 3-1 before last week.
Some of us here act like we play the toughest schedule and everyone else has cupcakes.
We beat the worst team in the SEC, an FCS school and a mediocre BC team. I wouldn't beat my chest too hard until we beat a *few of the rest.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Defensive coordinator a couple days ago

Does anyone else get the impression that there was a party to discuss us?

We've seen the same formations (some of them new to me) from Vandy CU & d'oh U. Now Pitt is talking about talking with folk.

Smh, combine that with the scheduling and we've got a conspiracy so vast you'd think we were Clintons.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone else get the impression that there was a party to discuss us?

We've seen the same formations (some of them new to me) from Vandy CU & d'oh U. Now Pitt is talking about talking with folk.

Smh, combine that with the scheduling and we've got a conspiracy so vast you'd think we were Clintons.
Josh Conklin is getting paid by the Clinton Foundation ;)