Pitt

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Had to love JO's playing without a sneaker for a while...

He lost his left shoe near the Georgia Tech basket late in the first half. As the action went the other way, JO stopped to pick up the shoe and then changed his mind, tossing the shoe out of bounds and running back up the court with just a sock on the foot.

''If I tried to put it on, I couldn't leave them five-on-four on defense,'' Okogie said of his teammates. ''I just had to leave it off.''

I'm really surprised the refs didn't call an officials time out when Pitt started to get into a set on offense. Usually they will let a fast break go on something like that but not let the other team slow down. It was even worse when they didn't stop play after we got the rebound.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm really surprised the refs didn't call an officials time out when Pitt started to get into a set on offense. Usually they will let a fast break go on something like that but not let the other team slow down. It was even worse when they didn't stop play after we got the rebound.
Are you really surprised with Teddy on the whistle? I actually surprisingly thought TV Teddy called a fairly consistent game for once.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Pitt loses to Georgia Tech in familiarly inconsistent fashion
“If the coach says run a play, how about just run the play?” Stallings said. “How about just don’t come down and charge before you give the play a chance to unfold? It’s a lot of things. It’s staying in your stance on defense. It’s staying between your man and the goal. It’s seeing the ball when you’re away from the defense. There are a lot of things that go into it. I get it. I get where they’re at. I get where we’re at in the season. It’s kind of a pride thing at this point. I just had hoped we would play a little better.”

Gotta say I like the Stallings era so far :cigar:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Are you really surprised with Teddy on the whistle? I actually surprisingly thought TV Teddy called a fairly consistent game for once.

Can't you see it. Running in like a football ref stopping a scrum, slapping his foot and pointing at Josh. And then moonwalking back to his station.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
Had to love JO's playing without a sneaker for a while...

He lost his left shoe near the Georgia Tech basket late in the first half. As the action went the other way, JO stopped to pick up the shoe and then changed his mind, tossing the shoe out of bounds and running back up the court with just a sock on the foot.

''If I tried to put it on, I couldn't leave them five-on-four on defense,'' Okogie said of his teammates. ''I just had to leave it off.''

New nickname "Shoeless JO"

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Defense was fantastic tonight. So many shot clock violations on Pitt because of our defense.

Offense has been a struggle lately. We're not getting as many open looks off cuts, and backdoor screens like we have earlier in the season. 3's have not been kind for us outside of Tadric's crazy run to close out the ND game.

Big Game was his usual self, and other guys played well enough (though not spectacular) on the offensive end for us to win. Defense is where we won this game as we all saw.

REALLY going to need Okogie and Tadric to be on, and Big Game to be his usual self if we're going into the Carrier Dome and upset Syracuse. Tough place to play.

I'm going out on a limb and calling it now.. Q is going to have a BIG game for us on Saturday.

He's been in a horrid shooting slump and call me crazy, but I think that he bust out in what is the biggest game for GT in quite some time.

A win secures a first day bye and more than likely puts us into the dance!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since we won, I can ask this question without sounding as if I'm crying, but was it just me or was the officiating horrible? We all know that Teddy is Teddy and his antics, but it seemed as if they were trying to send Coach Pastner a message.

There were several times that we hit on drives that weren't call, only to be called for touch fouls on the other end. I saw at least 5-6 calls obvious fouls or out of bounds calls that I thought were missed.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It was an ugly game to watch...but very happy we got the win. Finally got the offense working when it counted!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Since we won, I can ask this question without sounding as if I'm crying, but was it just me or was the officiating horrible? We all know that Teddy is Teddy and his antics, but it seemed as if they were trying to send Coach Pastner a message.

There were several times that we hit on drives that weren't call, only to be called for touch fouls on the other end. I saw at least 5-6 calls obvious fouls or out of bounds calls that I thought were missed.

I lost my GD mind about this on twitter about ten days ago. JOk and Jax hit the floor a ton and it seemingly never gets called.

By comparison we don't shoot a lot of threes yet we don't seem to get the line very much. I don't know the numbers. Might just me being a bias fan

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I don't think it was horrible because I reserve that strong a word for games where the officiating was really lopsided. I saw some of what you were talking about. I also saw some the other direction where I was surprised we got away with some contact/surprised we got a call. I wouldn't say they were good, but I don't think the net impact of them was all that much this game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lot of good articles in the AJC on the game and the team today.

If you haven't listened to it Pastner's post game audio for this game is fantastic.
He made his case for the NCAA
He thanked the media who came out to cover the team every game.
He mentioned that after the NC ST game last week he felt they looked tired so he changed the schedule for this game, with just a light walk through, no film study. He thought it helped last night.
also mentioned he made sure to get the guys a few minutes rest, even mentioned he took a TO just so Okogie could rest for a minute because he knew he was tired and Pastner was not going to take him out of the game later.
Mentioned how great the fans and the students were and how he wants it to be the hardest arena in the ACC to play in.
Mentioned again he learned this season how important a good team is rather than good individuals.
Gave alot of credit to the players and to his assts (who he said he hired a great staff).

“The crowd’s been great,” Pastner said. “I think what it shows is what the city, people at Georgia Tech, fans – they appreciate teams that move the ball and play hard and give a great effort. I think Georgia Tech’s all about being a blue-collar work ethic type of school. And we’re not ranked, we’re not in position to win the regular season of the ACC, but for people to keep coming like they’re doing, in year one of a rebuild, it says a lot. And the fans that helped us so much to win us games, and I really hope this ending, people will really get on board next year.”

From Ken,
Lammers played one of his better offensive games of the second half of the ACC schedule, when his heavy minutes have likely sapped his energy level. He scored 20 points on 8-for-13 shooting and was 4-for-4 from the free-throw line. His efficiency was aided by having more uncontested shots than he has been getting of late, either by gaining excellent post position or by being set up with effective passes. Five of his eight baskets were assisted.

He hit a jumper from near the elbow that broke a 44-all tie with 5:41 to play, a score noteworthy because he has been struggling of late with his jump shot.

“It felt pretty good to finally see that go in,” he said. “My legs are getting a little tired – it’s the end of the season – but I’ve started to learn to adjust. I actually bend my knees more than normal, so hopefully I can continue making those shots in the future.”

It may have helped that he played 35 minutes, which for him is practically a night off. In Tech’s previous five games, he had played 197 out of a possible 200 minutes. Pastner gave backup Sylvester Ogbonda five minutes, three more than he had played in the previous five games combined.

Announced last and accorded the loudest ovation, Stephens was off his game in the first half, finishing with five points on 2-for-7 shooting with no rebounds. Pastner said he challenged Stephens at halftime, telling him that he would be sick to his stomach years down the road if he continued to play like that in his final home game.

In the second half, Stephens came up with four points, six rebounds and three assists to help bring the Jackets home. He made an off-balance layup with 4:53 to play that gave Tech a 48-47 lead that it never relinquished.

“Boy, did he come through for us that second half,” Pastner said.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see the game last night because

A-9pm start and I'm an ancient 33 y/o
B-4 fingers of Basil Hayden's when I walked through the door doesn't help

Just finished the first half. We were lights out in the first 6-8 mins. Same old song, we need shooters so badly