Phil Steele: GT 14th Most Difficult Schedule in the Country

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This will be the second game to have ACC refs against UG since 1987. The first game was two years ago and we lost in double overtime.
This is always confusing. Is football played by different rules in the SEC? There is a bias there? You know, even in the worst sports scandal ever, nobody ever accused even one umpire of involvement in the Black Sox affair. Bias is getting the credit due bad officiating.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
You must not have read my other comment back to him, I said I wasn't being literal with my first statement.
Moving on....
That's what I'm referring to - giving you credit for circling back and acknowledging you yourself were over the top. I appreciate that. Water under the bridge. Back on topic now...
i see, I misunderstood you sorry.
Back to gt football lol.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like some Tech fans are not comfortable with the idea of us being good, and expect it to end so they hedge their bets on us. Unfortunately these same fans tend to only see the positive in our rivals, so they look at us as a big underdog. Yes, we are losing a lot, but then again so is everyone we are up against. It's the nature of the beast in college football. I look at our team and see less questions than I do on FSU/Clem/UGA. Why does everyone give those teams the benefit of the doubt but not us? Recruiting hype, plain and simple

Jeez man, you act like I'm saying our bowl streak is in jeopardy. If you don't think we're in a different position than teams like UGA and FSU, you are just a homer.

FSU went 12-2 in 2012 and had 3 guys drafted in the first round, along with a million other guys. They went on to go undefeated the following year. Then, in the 2014 draft, they had another million guys drafted and proceeded to go undefeated again. Teams like FSU and UGA are loaded with talent every single year. We have good players but from top to bottom, we aren't on par with those programs. It doesn't mean we can't beat them and compete with them from time to time (see last year).

Last season, to me, was our most talented team since 2009, with most of those guys being seniors. I've heard people say "The whole was better than the sum of its parts.," referring to the 2014 team. Screw that. We had a talented team. If Smelter didn't tear his ACL, I think we would have the most guys we've had drafted since the 2010 draft. I hope the guys we have waiting in the wings (Jeune, Allen, Skov, Searcy, Lynch, etc.) can step up.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
No problem. It's not like I think our guys are a bunch of bums lol. I think we have a pretty talented team.

To me, I have a hard time seeing our team this year being as good as last season. I just feel like that was such a special group. Maybe they'll surprise me. Just because I don't think we'll be as good as last year doesn't mean that I don't think we'll have a good squad. We could be 8-4 and have a good team. Our schedule could be one of the toughest in the country, especially if some of these teams are as good as many think. Like you said, if Hunt-Days is eligible (even though he hasn't played a collegiate snap at the position), he will be the key to our defense if he is as good as advertised. He could make a world of difference. Our offense was historically good last season. A big reason of why we were so good last season on offense (Mason, Smelter, Waller, Perkins, Days, Laskey, Bostic) are guys that are gone. The good news is we still have Justin Thomas and Freddie Burden and new guys will emerge. Will they be as good as the guys before them? It's yet to be seen and I'm a tad skeptical in that area. Again, doesn't mean we won't be really good on offense. Just maybe not historically good like last season.

I see us playing 7 or 8 teams that have as much or more talent than we do. If we went 6-2 against those teams, I'd be excited. Most FBS teams lose to one team they shouldn't lose to so I expect that to happen to us along the way. 9-3 would be a heck of a year.
I agree with this 100%. on offense I think we have the potential/ talent to be as good as last year, but it all depends on if the guys step up it could honestly go either way, up or down. On deffense though I don't see us being as bad this year as we were last year imo we were only good at creating turnovers, and we were decent in redzone. I see us truly having a better run d and pass d.I see our d line controlling the line of scrimage this year way better compared to last year, which is imo the most important thing on a deffense. I think the biggest question is having so many questions lol.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Jeez man, you act like I'm saying our bowl streak is in jeopardy. If you don't think we're in a different position than teams like UGA and FSU, you are just a homer.

FSU went 12-2 in 2012 and had 3 guys drafted in the first round, along with a million other guys. They went on to go undefeated the following year. Then, in the 2014 draft, they had another million guys drafted and proceeded to go undefeated again. Teams like FSU and UGA are loaded with talent every single year. We have good players but from top to bottom, we aren't on par with those programs. It doesn't mean we can't beat them and compete with them from time to time (see last year).

Last season, to me, was our most talented team since 2009, with most of those guys being seniors. I've heard people say "The whole was better than the sum of its parts.," referring to the 2014 team. Screw that. We had a talented team. If Smelter didn't tear his ACL, I think we would have the most guys we've had drafted since the 2010 draft. I hope the guys we have waiting in the wings (Jeune, Allen, Skov, Searcy, Lynch, etc.) can step up.
Haha, man I think everyone misunderstands everyone on this site. I sure am guilty of doing it myself as you can tell from our messages lol. That or they just are oblivious to the fact we have so many questions and anything can happen.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
This is always confusing. Is football played by different rules in the SEC? There is a bias there? You know, even in the worst sports scandal ever, nobody ever accused even one umpire of involvement in the Black Sox affair. Bias is getting the credit due bad officiating.

I think this is largely true but it does occur. I have a good friend who was a big ten official for years and his position was that bias does occur even at high levels but it is usually lessened as refs work their way up the "food chain". Refs who make little and live in the same neighborhood with the kids they are officiating naturally struggle with objectivity differently than he did when he flew up to officiate a big ten game. He said the pressure he felt was making sure his call wouldn't be news the next day and that in difficult situations most refs think a non-call is a safer strategy.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I have seen bias as well as arrogance demonstrated by sec officials.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So does reload equal immediate success? I don't care who you are, replacing 4/5 of your Oline and all of your DL (a position Clemson and FSU find themselves in) is really hard.
This right here. We have the framework of a successful offense already in place with JT and our OL coming back (yes Shaq was our best lineman but everyone else on the 2 deep will be back and better), and same on defense losing only one player per level (and DL could even be a slight upgrade with Jabari vs Green). FSU is replacing Jameis and Green & O'Leary, aka their entire passing offense, and now has to ask Dalvin Cook to be the focal point behind a brand new OL. In effect they are completely starting over on offense. Clemson loses basically their entire defense and has a new OC. I'm not trying to say these games are going to be easy or anything, just want to acknowledge we aren't the only team with questions to answer.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
So does reload equal immediate success? I don't care who you are, replacing 4/5 of your Oline and all of your DL (a position Clemson and FSU find themselves in) is really hard.

Reloading to me is when a team has backups who are thought to be of the same caliber as those leaving. While it should certainly increase the chance of success , it doesn't guarantee it. I hope we are reloading at b-back and wr and upgrading on dl.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think this is largely true but it does occur. I have a good friend who was a big ten official for years and his position was that bias does occur even at high levels but it is usually lessened as refs work their way up the "food chain". Refs who make little and live in the same neighborhood with the kids they are officiating naturally struggle with objectivity differently than he did when he flew up to officiate a big ten game. He said the pressure he felt was making sure his call wouldn't be news the next day and that in difficult situations most refs think a non-call is a safer strategy.
That would certainly explain the four-yard pushback mistaken for forward progress against Georgia. I never thought officials tried to fix it, but maybe letting it all go was the safer way.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This right here. We have the framework of a successful offense already in place with JT and our OL coming back (yes Shaq was our best lineman but everyone else on the 2 deep will be back and better), and same on defense losing only one player per level (and DL could even be a slight upgrade with Jabari vs Green). FSU is replacing Jameis and Green & O'Leary, aka their entire passing offense, and now has to ask Dalvin Cook to be the focal point behind a brand new OL. In effect they are completely starting over on offense. Clemson loses basically their entire defense and has a new OC. I'm not trying to say these games are going to be easy or anything, just want to acknowledge we aren't the only team with questions to answer.
It seems true that as one poster noted, the Bad Guys will fix their problems but Tech cannot. Pessimism is kind of understandable, it being safer that way. But I think if our WR and AB positions fill in as anticipated, and Skov is a competent B back, Justin Thomas might have a season for the ages. Some players appear not to have a ceiling, and he is one of them, I think.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to admit, in years past, I have begrudgingly involved myself in pre-season prognostications from time to time on this board, but never with any sense of conviction really. Look folks, here is the bottom line: none of us really know what we will have next year. To make matters worse, we really have less of an idea what other teams will have either. The whole season is a crapshoot and we are just going to have to play the games in order to sort it all out. To be truthful , I don't see the value in trying to obsess over it now. Support your guys but, never, never, ever, underestimate the enemy.

Just as I do every year, I expect pretty much every game to be a war, in which we will be fortunate to come out on top. I know some find this kind of thing to be fun, but really, the complexity of roster change-over every season combined with player developement and team chemistry issues makes the whole thing unpredictable. Just check EXPERT publications in the preseason if you want to verify my opinion. They won't be close and never are.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Reloading to me is when a team has backups who are thought to be of the same caliber as those leaving. While it should certainly increase the chance of success , it doesn't guarantee it. I hope we are reloading at b-back and wr and upgrading on dl.

I agree with this definition of reloading.

That being said, it's pretty far-fetched to think that Clemson is going to reload on the DL without some drop off. No way were their backups close to those guys they're losing. As for their OL, if they reload there we'll be in good shape.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
You would think that Clemson's defense will be worse but If their QB is back and healthy, they could easily be improved there. Should be another great game!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You would think that Clemson's defense will be worse but If their QB is back and healthy, they could easily be improved there. Should be another great game!
I gather the folks at Clemson figure on a strong defense again and if Watson stays healthy Swinney seems convinced he will win the Heisman before he's done. Thought that when he showed up at camp as a freshman. He's certainly one of the most watchable runners out of the read option. Not as quick as Thomas, but nobody is, but moves very fluidly. It should be great. Check and double check your VCR; this will be one you want.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's just me (and yes i know that ugays roster is loaded top to bottom with 4-5 stars) but at no point in last years game did they appear to me to have an overwhelming talent/strength/size/speed or coaching advantage over us. Are you saying they are going to reload and be way more talented this year? It kinda looks like they are iffy at qb for the next two seasons.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Aren't they losing 10/11 starters on Def? That doesn't equal getting better

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am mainly with Boomer and I really don't bother getting involved making predictions. Rather, I try and kind of work out a probabilistic 'range" (to use a term Tech alums would understand) based on the "domain" of data points. I like to keep things pretty abstract or impressionistic.

Last year was a very special team with incredible senior leadership. Let's just look at the regular season. Of the 10 wins, 3 were decided by 6 points or less (one in OT and two in last minute) and both losses were decided by 6 points or less, 1 lost in the last minute (more or less). Some will try and be an optimist with that set of data points and say "we could have easily been undefeated." Others will be pessimistic and say "we easily could have been 7-5."

Next, I look at the evidence of CPJ as Tech coach and the offensive output of his system over the years (always excellent). Then looking at the loss of 5th year seniors, etc., I assume that the offense might be as or just about as efficient as last years (which was historically good) but is not highly likely to perform better. On defense I think the lack of turnover and possible addition of new pieces , etc., suggests that it is fairly or pretty likely to improve. These two aspects combine to in my mind mean a net stability/equivalence to last year's performance qua "team" is decently likely. Especially when I also think the special teams units stand a good chance of improvement.

Then I look at the schedule. Notre Dame on road replaces Southern at home (net tougher-but maybe only slightly?); Clemson on road tougher than in ATL; FSU at home instead of NC State on the road is net tougher; UVA on road after playing FSU at home is net tougher; Miami on the road but after a bye . . . ehh; UGA week after trip to Miami makes it a tougher home game; and the others are net wash or easier in my opinion than last year's games/equivalents. Overall, net slightly tougher to tougher schedule. I can see how it can be considered a top 15 in difficulty as of today.

Ok, now I put it all together. Last year's team played 42% of their games "close" (5/12) and blew out the competition in the remaining 58% of games. This year's team seems to me to be as good to almost as good before playing a snap. The schedule seems slightly tougher at least. So I think a probable range could be something like 50-58% close contests and 42-50% blowout wins. That means 6-7 close games and 5-6 blowout wins. Last year's team won 60% of the close games. So this years could equal that or do slightly worse, meaning 3-5 wins in this category.

Result: I am expecting Tech, at this point, to play out next season in the range of 8-10 wins and 2-4 losses. I will be mildly disappointed in the lower end of results and very pleased at the higher end.

But, again like Boomer, injuries, midterms, kids stepping up, kids fizzling out, "lucky" bounces and turnovers, officiating, and all sorts of other unknown variables will determine how the games actually play out. Which ones are close wins and which ones are close losses and how they end up that way will also color the perception of the season.

However, anything in my range no matter who against or how the games were played, will be a good follow-up to 2014 in my book.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To follow up, I think we will be a good team. Don't get me wrong. Personally, the overall quality of the spring game leads me to believe the program is headed in the right direction. It was by far the best feeling contest on both sides of the ball, in my view. I have a confidence in the team and in the program. With that said, I am compelled to admit that I know very little about what is happening in the other camps. I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of the marketplace, so to speak.

Look at it this way: who, from the outside looking in, would have guessed that GT would have a breakout type season last year? What fan, from, say, Miami, would have thought in May of 2014 that they were destined to handled by us in the fashion they were? By the same token, what do we really know about the young players coming of age on their football team this year? What do we know about the progression of Kaaya in practice? If you are like me, which most of you probably are, the answer to that question is pretty much bumpkus. We don't know and we have no way of knowing.

Consequently, I have no idea what our record will be next season and I have no idea how tough the schedule will actually play out to be. For me, that notion, the unknown of it all, is what makes it fun. I have no idea what record I expect us to have next year and I have no number in mind that would make me satisfied generally ( zero losses might be nice). All I know is that every time we tee it up, I really want and expect us to find a way to win. When December rolls around I will base my opinion of the season partly on the record, but also just generally how we played.