Phil Steele: 2015 Preseason All-ACC Team

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wait...2 QBs from GT under paul johnson first team all-acc (potentially)? No way...we don't even have qb's. And forget about his ability to put any valuable WR out there or in the NFL in this offense.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a ton of talented DB's on that list, but there is still no excuse for leaving off DJ White. IMO you could make an argument that he's our best player, although he obviously could never have the impact that JT does.

That's not the first preseason snub of DJ that I've seen, though. I think he will really surprise a lot of people this season.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Phil's Preseason Top 40 came out http://247sports.com/Article/Preseason-top-college-football-teams-ranked-by-Phil-Steele-37770929

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. USC
4. Alabama
5. Baylor
6. Georgia
7. Stanford
8. Florida State
9. Michigan State
10. LSU
11. Oregon
12. Notre Dame
13. Wisconsin
14. Auburn
15. UCLA
16. Virginia Tech
17. Clemson
18. Oklahoma
19. Penn State
20. Ole Miss
21. Miami (FL)
22. Arkansas
23. Boise State
24. Missouri
25. Tennessee
26. Nebraska
27. Utah
28. Oklahoma State
29. Arizona State
30. Georgia Tech
31. Marshall
32. Texas A&M
33. Texas
34. Arizona
35. Toledo
36. Minnesota
37. Louisville
38. San Diego State
39. Mississippi State
40. Cincinnati

thwgjacket

Phil's Preseason Top 40 came out http://247sports.com/Article/Preseason-top-college-football-teams-ranked-by-Phil-Steele-37770929

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. USC
4. Alabama
5. Baylor
6. Georgia
7. Stanford
8. Florida State
9. Michigan State
10. LSU
11. Oregon
12. Notre Dame
13. Wisconsin
14. Auburn
15. UCLA
16. Virginia Tech
17. Clemson
18. Oklahoma
19. Penn State
20. Ole Miss
21. Miami (FL)
22. Arkansas
23. Boise State
24. Missouri
25. Tennessee
26. Nebraska
27. Utah
28. Oklahoma State
29. Arizona State
30. Georgia Tech
31. Marshall
32. Texas A&M
33. Texas
34. Arizona
35. Toledo
36. Minnesota
37. Louisville
38. San Diego State
39. Mississippi State
40. Cincinnati
Penn State, who went 2-6 in the Big 10 last year is at 19? Devalues the whole list.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Penn State, who went 2-6 in the Big 10 last year is at 19? Devalues the whole list.
I only care about Tech ...which I just throw up my hands with this knucklehead..his picjs matches the recruiting rankings...but Miss State 39? Isnt their qb back?

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
There's a lot of things that on their own devalue the whole list.
1) Miami at 21 or anywhere in the top 25 without Johnson
2) uGA at 6 enough said
3) VT at 16, who do they have on offense?
4) Stanford ahead of Oregon

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
You can't have another 11 win season without some bulletin board material being provided by the Great Phil Steele. After all, the option is only effective when a team doesn't have time to prepare for it during the regular season. Just ask Dan Mullen and Mississippi State.

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
lets be thankful that we are not getting respect, and lets be honest we would complain if we were too high also. and its always nice when the preseason "experts" pat the perennial preseason top 25 teams that have not finished in the top 25 in the last 5-10 years on the back because hey they need that. they can be happy in August and if we can be happy in December

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
lets be thankful that we are not getting respect, and lets be honest we would complain if we were too high also. and its always nice when the preseason "experts" pat the perennial preseason top 25 teams that have not finished in the top 25 in the last 5-10 years on the back because hey they need that. they can be happy in August and if we can be happy in December
I have to disagree with this most vehemently. We need to be respected. We need to start the seaon in the Top 10 every year. We need to be the media's choice for the ACC every year. We need to be in the discussion with Florida State and Clemson about the best in the ACC. We need to be in the Playoff discussion every summer. Until this happens, we will have to have a perfect season to even sniff the playoffs or a (formerly) BCS bowl.

If Florida State isn't in the Playoff last year, where would we have bowled last year? Who would we have played? We would likely have been in the Russell Athletic Bowl (against the Big 12 #3) or the CapitalOne Bowl (only if the Orange Bowl takes a Big1G team, which they didn't last year). Clemson got the Russell Athletic Bowl last year. We probably get that against a weak Oklahoma, but we could have fallen to the next level quite easily.

Until we are looked at and respected as a legitimate national program year after year, we run the risk of being shat upon. How many remember finishing the 1989 season 7-4 after beating uga (6-5) in the final game only to see uga invited to a bowl game (the Peach Bowl) and us stay home? I'm tired of people saying that we snuck up on teams. That BS. The only teams we've snuck up on is the team of talking meat puppets in the media and the teems of idiot fans who disregard us every year.

It's time to shrug off the yoke of perpetual disrespect (you like that?) and show that we're one of the best programs in the nation and that we can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. To do that, we have to have have the opportunities and take advantage of the opportunities when they arise. Too many times GT has stumbled just when it looks like we're about to turn the corner. I'm tired of being the surprise, the darkhorse. I want to be the favorite, and then to play like we belong as the favorite.

I will never be thankful for not getting respect. I will never complain that we're rated too high. I want to be in the Top10 from preseason to final poll. If we hang around the Top10, then the Playoffs and MNC games will take care of itself. It will always take a special season to be there, but we're good enough, or could be good enough, to be Top10 start to finish. There is no reason we should be lower than uga, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Missouri, Arkansas, Notre Dame, USCw or many other teams should be ranked above us. I'm not even talking about Steele's list. He's out of his mind. We were Top10 last year and didn't lose as much as many of these teams. My God, uga lost their starting QB and their starting TB and they're Top5/Top10. I could go on and on, but here, I'll stop.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Strange that he thinks an option team with the All ACC 1st team QB returning behind a deep veteran line is going to drop off so far from last year. Classic "hedge your bet" move...if we do well he can point to picking JT, and if we struggle he points to his ranking.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This isn't surprising. I don't think Phil Steele has ever thought highly of us in any of the stuff he's put out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Imo, most preseason rankings are based first on recruiting ranking and then the previous year, the coach, etc.

Heck, some fans are expecting a major drop in O with our lack of returning starts. If you combine that with a D that hasn't been average or above for six seasons, his prediction is defensible.

He's wrong, but taking a safe bet.