PFF Week 1 Grades

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pro Football Focus https://www.pff.com/
They have scouts grade the plays and players, just like pro scouts. It started with NFL teams subscribing
It’s a paid service

Also, Quick started
According to the stats at Ramblinwreck.com Williams, Vaipulu, Franklin, Fusile and Robinson were the OL starters.
Quick did play as did Tchio and Leftwich had a few snaps.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Having Eley on ST is a BAD mistake.We have little depth at LB and having him tired out in the 4th qtr is very critical to def. ---See clem # of pts in last qtr. !!!
This gets back to recruiting at that position.btw--not having Thomas for a half this week may be a problem.
You no longer sit half the next game when ejected for targeting until you hit your 3rd infraction.

Not making any excuses for Weston, as you need to hustle on EVERY play, but dude was a warrior during the Clemson game. He had the best player on either team, and one of the top 10 best players in college football, Bresee lined up over him all night and he also played every snap on offense.

Weston is a true sophomore. He's going to be All ACC one day for us...we just asked a LOT out of him first game of the year. His trajectory is headed upward...just gotta keep working.
No offense but if you're about to be gassed you ask to come out if the coaches haven't figured it out yet. If you can't get to the sideline you reach down and gut it out one more play. That's what makes you all ACC, the heart of a champion.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You no longer sit half the next game when ejected for targeting until you hit your 3rd infraction.
Are you sure? I haven’t kept up with rules changes this off-season but the announcers said this several times during the broadcast. Not to say broadcasters are never wrong but I hadn’t heard this. Also it’s WCU so not real worried if we did miss him for the 1st half.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@gville_jacket Thought I was until you asked & I tried to look it up, now I'm not so sure.

Think it was the UF-Utah game they kept flashing a graphic saying you had to get the hook 3 times, but search on internet says you can appeal and get out of it. They just need to get rid of the damn rule. There's seemingly no way to enforce it.

slugboy

Staff member
According to the stats at Ramblinwreck.com Williams, Vaipulu, Franklin, Fusile and Robinson were the OL starters.
Quick did play as did Tchio and Leftwich had a few snaps.
My mistake—I saw him in on the early series, and he was one of the first linemen I identified. I’ll trust RamblinWreck’s official list.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There total combined snaps was less than 1 full-time OL starter. (roughly 3/4 of a starters snaps).
Yea, not sure what that says when our former 4 star, upperclassmen OL from Bama and Clemson are playing very little, while two R-Freshman, a walk on and a guy from GA that we didn't even offer out of hs and was not expected to play this year at his previous school are starting and in most of the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yea, not sure what that says when our former 4 star, upperclassmen OL from Bama and Clemson are playing very little, while two R-Freshman, a walk on and a guy from GA that we didn't even offer out of hs and was not expected to play this year at his previous school are starting and in most of the game.

Maybe it says that the two R-Fr and the walk-on have had more time in our system to be developed by Key? Not everything has to be an indictment. Sometimes guys just get beat out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll have to wait how the season plays out but one potential answer is that 247Sports transfer ranking for them - mid-to-high 3 star players is more accurate than their HS ranking for them - mid-to-high 4 star.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Pro Football Focus https://www.pff.com/
They have scouts grade the plays and players, just like pro scouts. It started with NFL teams subscribing
It’s a paid service

Also, Quick started
They have people grading every single person, watching every play and perhaps rewatching many plays, playing in a DI game? How many people do they employ doing this?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it says that the two R-Fr and the walk-on have had more time in our system to be developed by Key? Not everything has to be an indictment. Sometimes guys just get beat out.

Ok, but after all that "404 recruiting" overhaul chatter thats pretty sad for year 4.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
@gville_jacket Thought I was until you asked & I tried to look it up, now I'm not so sure.

Think it was the UF-Utah game they kept flashing a graphic saying you had to get the hook 3 times, but search on internet says you can appeal and get out of it. They just need to get rid of the damn rule. There's seemingly no way to enforce it.
And as I was watching some other game where a targeting call was being discussed, the announcers also commented that a change was made regarding which part of the head making contact with the ball carrier. I think sole contact with the forehead was taken out of the requirements.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Is it? Guys we recruited out of HS are playing more than the transfers and you blame recruiting? Seems disingenuous.

I'm more meaning why is a walkon ahead of their "recruiting prowess" guys. I have no issue with walkons, but this staff was fairly snide in the past about previous staff's weights/recruiting abilities. That comes off hypocritical to a lot of people. People would be more forgiving if Collins and Key hadn't been so cocky coming in.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Robinson doesn't have more time in our system than Tchio and Quick, and it's oft claimed around here that it takes several years to develop OL out of high school, yet the these two are R-Freshmen.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm more meaning why is a walkon ahead of their "recruiting prowess" guys. I have no issue with walkons, but this staff was fairly snide in the past about previous staff's weights/recruiting abilities. That comes off hypocritical to a lot of people. People would be more forgiving if Collins and Key hadn't been so cocky coming in.

Sometimes walk-ons turn out to be exceptional athletes. Baker Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy. Stetson Bennett just won a national championship with the mutts. Clay Matthews was an NFL All-Pro. Sean Bedford was All-ACC. It seems as if you are more interested in taking shots at the staff than discussing football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Robinson doesn't have more time in our system than Tchio and Quick, and it's oft claimed around here that it takes several years to develop OL out of high school, yet the these two are R-Freshmen.

It does (generally, there are exceptions) take several years to develop quality OL. Having a team start a bunch of R-FR and So OL doesn't negate that. It is entirely reasonable for both to be true. As for Robinson, true, he arrived at the same time. He obviously performed better in camp/practice than Quick and Tchio to warrant more PT in the game. Since I wasn't at those camps/practices I, like you, am at the mercy of the coaches decision on the matter. It's no secret that OL is still our weakest point on the team. Several of us said that prior to the season starting.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'm more meaning why is a walkon ahead of their "recruiting prowess" guys. I have no issue with walkons, but this staff was fairly snide in the past about previous staff's weights/recruiting abilities.
Well, Fusile is 6-6 315 so he ain't exactly small. As a PWO he technically WAS recruited (although link below makes it sound like HE recruited us, so maybe we just got lucky). His coach said many schools wanted to recruit him but he told them he had already chosen GT. Sounds like a bright individual...they say he doesn't make the same mistake twice and he is very strong.

Link

Jordan Williams said Robinson is going to be a star. He was also very high on Fusile in the same interview conducted during camp.

I have no issue with Robinson outcompeting Tchio and Quick. We recruited all of them from the portal. I don't care we didn't recruit Robinson out of high school or if he wasn't a projected starter at KU. I am glad we have him. He is green and will take his lumps but he looks promising.

Also note Tchio was hurt in camp and is probably catching up.

Main issue with OL is youth and inexperience. I too am disappointed Green and Leftwich aren't in there yet. Green is/was a project though. Leftwich apparently is not far off per J. Williams...he said Leftwich was going to be good.

Line has potential. IMO Nick Pendley was going to be good...too bad he had to take a medical. Line has a chance to be a strength next year, but definitely huge question mark for this season.