Penn St- ACC/B10 Challenge

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Why go hard to the paint if you get blocked everytime if you could consistently knock down a shot from 4 yo 6 feet out?

If he has a better chance to develop a j, then do that. he just needs to add some thing that's not a blocked layup.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moore and Okogie both need either a floater or a pull up jumper from 10 ft. Big hole in both games.

Thought this game would be similar to ohio and it felt very similar. Just don't have enough to get over the hump against mediocre teams.

Much like Ohio, Josh had a horrible offensive night. Aggression is good, uncontrolled aggression not so much.
Against Ohio Okogie and Q were a combined 3-22. Against Penn St it was Okogie and TJ a combined 7-30. We simply can't win with those kind of offensive numbers.

TJ may be the most maddening player i've followed at GT in some time. There are times he looks like an All-ACC player and there are other times - like the last 2 games - where he looks like he doesn't even belong on a court with ACC players.

Corey doesn't believe in himself or his shot enough.

2 good games in a row for Q. He would be extremely valuable as a 5th starter or top reserve but we need him as like a top 2-3 starter and that is not what he is.

Still hoping we get to 12 wins, still know it will be a long season. Really want Jon Rothstein to be wrong.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of Heath's failure to quadruple his career scoring output, I'm really happy with the enormous improvement in Lammers and the better than expected output of Okogie (inconsistency is part of being a frosh and should improve as he gets more games under his belt). Tadric has shown an improved shot and some better decision making, but is still a defensive liability. I'm hoping he continues to improve as the year rolls along. The team overall is enjoyable to watch and is playing hard, which is great to see. I also like seeing Corey back in the rotation. Kind of a feel good angle on the season. Q & Heath are what they are. No different than prior seasons. That's not a slam on them. They so some things well and others not as well. Their strengths and weaknesses are established, known and not likely to change suddenly

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moore and Okogie both need either a floater or a pull up jumper from 10 ft. Big hole in both games.

Thought this game would be similar to ohio and it felt very similar. Just don't have enough to get over the hump against mediocre teams.

Much like Ohio, Josh had a horrible offensive night. Aggression is good, uncontrolled aggression not so much.
Against Ohio Okogie and Q were a combined 3-22. Against Penn St it was Okogie and TJ a combined 7-30. We simply can't win with those kind of offensive numbers.

TJ may be the most maddening player i've followed at GT in some time. There are times he looks like an All-ACC player and there are other times - like the last 2 games - where he looks like he doesn't even belong on a court with ACC players.

Corey doesn't believe in himself or his shot enough.

2 good games in a row for Q. He would be extremely valuable as a 5th starter or top reserve but we need him as like a top 2-3 starter and that is not what he is.

Still hoping we get to 12 wins, still know it will be a long season. Really want Jon Rothstein to be wrong.

You have to admire Corey's heart. He's fought through a lot in his career, and he gives us 110%, but the fact that we are relying on him for production tells us all we need to know. Thing is, he is a decent 3pt shooter, when he pulls the trigger.

Tadric's game is 100% about confidence. When he doesn't see it go in early, he's usually in for long night. Last night, nothing was falling for him, but I thought he continued to be aggressively offensively, but his defensive effort was consistent.

Few other thoughts:

How many shots did we miss from within 5ft last night? ESPNU kept showing the stat of offensive rebounds vs. second chance points.

At one point, we had 15 offensive boards and 2 second chance pts. That is hard to do! Still love the fight that we showed last night.

We had a chance to win, but the back-to-back possession at about the 3:00 mark killed us. First we fall asleep on an inbounds play, and then the open court turnover. Tie game / four point swing.

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Here's the frustrating part. We are supposedly a young and inexperienced team but here’s what happens down the stretch:

We cut it the lead to 1pt.
Tadric falls asleep and lets an easy dunk
Q with a dumb turnover allows an easy dunk. Lead is now 5.
We cut it back down to 2 but takes another 2 minutes off the clock. Play good D but they hit a good contesting 3.
Lead is 5 but still a shot. Tadric another lackadaisical turnover for easy layup. Lead 7 game basically over.

If we’re going to make stupid mistakes to lose down the stretch I would hope it would be the younger guys. Not the guys who have been here 3+ years and have had significant playing time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We will have to lean on Ben, but we're going to need some production from our guards.

It will be interesting to see how Okogie and Tadric play against better competition.

Getting both of them going in this one will be a major key to victory.

Can Heath get his first triple-double of the season?

you called it-their shooting was abysmal

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Went to the state game tonight to get over the frustrating L to Penn State....GSU could put up a real right fight against GT behind Indiana transfer Hollowell, Alabama transfer Devin Mitchell, and 4 star Simonds...The hammer would work them down low which is the only reason I think tech would win but barely.
P.S. everyone on this board needs to go to a GSU game to see high flying dunks and the best looking college basketball dance team in the HISTORY of the sport (There is a reason all the rappers rap about GSU girls)