Pelton is out . .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He's our DB coach. That should tell you all you need to know. Lol
Do you remember the kick and the pick? A db made that pick that saved our bacon. We had quite a few picks that year if I recall correctly. Who was our DB coach?

A little bit from his GT bio:

In 2016, Speed’s starting cornerbacks, Lance Austin and Step Durham, combined for 85 tackles and 21 passes defended in their first seasons as starters. Austin was particularly impressive, leading the ACC and finishing tied for 15th nationally with 15 passes defended (including a team-high-tying three interceptions). He was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week in back-to-back weeks to close the regular season, the latter of the two accolades coming after he intercepted a pass near midfield to set up the game-winning touchdown drive in Georgia Tech’s 28-27 win over archrival Georgia.

In four seasons since moving to the secondary, Speed’s pupils have recorded 32 interceptions and scored five touchdowns. In 2014 alone, his secondary racked up 15 touchdowns and scored three times.

Additionally, Speed has mentored three all-ACC honorees and four student-athletes that have gone on to play in the NFL during his tenure at Tech.

Other highlights from Speed’s time at Georgia Tech include:

• coaching a pair of all-conference selections in 2014, Jamal Golden (third team) and D.J. White (honorable mention), as well as the Yellow Jackets’ all-time leading tackler in the secondary, Isaiah Johnson (283 career tackles);
  • plugging senior Jemea Thomas into the starting lineup at safety in 2013 due to injuries to projected starters Golden and Johnson and watching Thomas lead the Yellow Jackets in tackles (88) and pass breakups (8), paving the way for his ascension from likely backup to a sixth-round pick by the New England Patriots in the 2014 NFL Draft;
  • overseeing the emergence of inside linebacker Julian Burnett from a backup in the first month of 2010 to one of the most prolific tacklers in recent Georgia Tech history. Burnett led the team in tackles in both 2010 (89) and 2011 (120). His 120 stops in ‘11 were 42 more than anyone else on the squad.
  • having his starting inside linebackers, Burnett and Brad Jefferson, rank one-two on the squad with a combined 173 tackles in 2010.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Once the db and dl are aggressive and the lb make the right reads se will be fine. I like the talent that we have at db.
Too bad that pelton seemed to be coming around. I was hard on him in 2015 and 16. Hope he continues to improve where ever he goes.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you guys are placing way too much on speed and pelton. They have units to coach within a roof scheme and design. Enough said.

Pelton IMO was let go because woody is bringing in his staff and wants someone who already knows his front calls and can teach them. If you watch what woody does on D, his fronts are very active and have alot of stunts, twists, slants etc, and woody doesn't want to have to teach pelton while teaching the kids. Thats a big point.

As a result, I believe you could see the same type of logic for the LB coach. So we will see. As far as secondary, I like how woody system runs the DBs, but its not magic. You could see a guy like speed taking that spot and simply coaching the secondary to woody's scheme. Our players are going to have to unlearn all the dumb bail technique roof taught. And we will need to find a FS high with bigtime range....

In my view, speed, pelton and mccollum should all go. Woody needs to hire coaches who know and fit his system from day one. If Paul chooses to keep one of those guys then he can do so as the 10th coach. But I can clearly see the DL and the LB spots needing to be woody's guys....

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m thinking Woody is bringing in his own d-line and corners coach. Speed could move back to safties and Andy Mac is definitely staying but could move back to linebacker coach

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
you guys are placing way too much on speed and pelton. They have units to coach within a roof scheme and design. Enough said.

Pelton IMO was let go because woody is bringing in his staff and wants someone who already knows his front calls and can teach them. If you watch what woody does on D, his fronts are very active and have alot of stunts, twists, slants etc, and woody doesn't want to have to teach pelton while teaching the kids. Thats a big point.

As a result, I believe you could see the same type of logic for the LB coach. So we will see. As far as secondary, I like how woody system runs the DBs, but its not magic. You could see a guy like speed taking that spot and simply coaching the secondary to woody's scheme. Our players are going to have to unlearn all the dumb bail technique roof taught. And we will need to find a FS high with bigtime range....

In my view, speed, pelton and mccollum should all go. Woody needs to hire coaches who know and fit his system from day one. If Paul chooses to keep one of those guys then he can do so as the 10th coach. But I can clearly see the DL and the LB spots needing to be woody's guys....

McCollum is staying and should stay. It would be foolish and very short sighted to can your BEST recruiter!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
McCallum is not only a great recruiter but he is one of those guys you want in the locker room. Good sense of humor and is fun to be around.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He's our DB coach. That should tell you all you need to know. Lol

Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to the discussion.

For the record Im not claiming Speed is good, great, terrible, or mediocre. I don’t have any reasonable way to know. And none of y’all do either unless you are at practice or are very close to someone who is regularly.

But if you want to establish a coach needs to be fired. You should have more than “on field results!” to bolster your point.

I also dont put much stock into relating a player’s success to “good coaching” unless said player vouches for it.

I agree the new DC should be able to bring in or let go anyone he wants on that side.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Careful on the misspell, you'll get called out for it
I thought it was spelled “mispell ” and was going to call you out on it, but looked it up, so never mind.

Anyone who thinks “McCullum” :)needs to go should talk to any of the guys who have been recruited or coached by him, and they will find out he’s somebody that definitely should be retained on staff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m thinking Woody is bringing in his own d-line and corners coach. Speed could move back to safties and Andy Mac is definitely staying but could move back to linebacker coach
Brent M was better when he was coached by Andy. Hope this is right about Andy and lb s.
Getting the new dl coach and lb coach and their players to play as a unit is the first set. I like Andy at lb and the new guy , Ivey at Dl.

In past we seem to try to get improvement with in each group. Lots of separate huddles on sideline.

My hope is that Woody can get the units playing fast and as a team. Maybe he will be doing this on sideline.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

For the record Im not claiming Speed is good, great, terrible, or mediocre. I don’t have any reasonable way to know. And none of y’all do either unless you are at practice or are very close to someone who is regularly.

But if you want to establish a coach needs to be fired. You should have more than “on field results!” to bolster your point.

I also dont put much stock into relating a player’s success to “good coaching” unless said player vouches for it.

I agree the new DC should be able to bring in or let go anyone he wants on that side.
For coaches, on the field results are the most important factor. Grades are nice too, but it's not what they're paid for. That's just reality.

As a former athlete in a different sport that played at a pretty high level, I can vouch that coaching makes a huge difference in a player's success. Sometimes a player doesn't realize the affect a coach had until the player has moved on, but I can assure you that every coach I had affected my on the field performance; whether positive or negative.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
For coaches, on the field results are the most important factor. Grades are nice too, but it's not what they're paid for. That's just reality.

As a former athlete in a different sport that played at a pretty high level, I can vouch that coaching makes a huge difference in a player's success. Sometimes a player doesn't realize the affect a coach had until the player has moved on, but I can assure you that every coach I had affected my on the field performance; whether positive or negative.

But if you aren’t getting inside info from those ex-players, or actually at practice observing, you are absolutely and completely speculating on coaching ability relative to performance.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

I put a ton of stock into a player's success or lack thereof into good or bad coaching. If the coaching doesn't really matter then why do we have them or pay them? We just need Johnson on offense and someone to call blitzes on defense and 8 recruiters by your logic.

Also, the whole argument about only people at practice know anything - hogwash. We get 12 litmus tests every year. Defensive secondary has consistently had some of the most athletic talent on the team. And what else is there EXCEPT for on the field results? You sound like Johnson saying that the kids didn't run the right play. Well gosh coach, I wonder why? Either they were confused (coaches fault), didn't know the play based on the call (coaches fault) or didn't care enough to take it seriously (coaches fault).

The truth is I don't care what the heck the coaches do. Have the kids do yoga, play Xbox, run until the puke, it really does not matter. What matters is W's. Period. Johnson can fly the whole team and staff to Brazil and they learn Jiu Jitsu and by golly if we win more games then awesome.

Here's an argument I AM willing to accept: I don't know how much of our secondary play was dictated by Roof or not, especially in terms of depth at the snap.

What I do see is a bunch of guys back there who often don't take good angles to tackle, don't use the sideline as an extra defender very well, and consistently miscommunicate and have coverage breakdowns. That's coaching. I don't see guys who are too slow or can't jump or rotate their hips. Again, how much of that is Speed versus Roof? No clue.

Ultimately, other than McCollum it wouldn't be a bad idea to me to clean house on most of the staff offense and defense because we just aren't getting it done ANYwhere. The offense was mediocre to bad in parts. The defense was a conundrum in that they did do a lot more of what we asked for in terms of stops/punts . . . except when it mattered and we really needed to have it.

So, my question to you is: if coaches don't impact a player's development or lack there of, what does? And if you can't grade a coach based on field results, how do you grade one?

Fat lot of good it does us if the team practices like Bama during the week and then plays like 2017 Georgia Tech in the game. I submit that MAYBE, different coaches will have different expectations and performance metrics during the week of practice, which could hopefully lead to improved performance on the weekend.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
But if you aren’t getting inside info from those ex-players, or actually at practice observing, you are absolutely and completely speculating on coaching ability relative to performance.
I'm not speculating that a coach should be fired. I was just replying to your points that you need more than on the field results to establish the firing of a coach and that you don't put much "stock" in a coach's ability related to a player's success. I just disagree with both of those general points. There are certainly thresholds, exceptions and nuance involved, but generally speaking, those two points don't hold up.