Paul Johnson's job

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ has to let go of his ego and make some changes to the offense. I'm not saying a complete change, but to tweek it. Let the TO be 70% of the offense and 30% a new "look" offense. Many of our plays can still be run in different offensive sets. It creates more work for opposing teams to get ready for us.
We have a hard enough time knowing the plays and executing now. Adding another 30% to the play book isn't going to help that. We need to find easier ways to teach what we do so it doesn't take a two deep full of upperclassmen to have a decent year.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I knew it was a matter of time before this thread came up. If there is a new hire I think we will get away from the option based offense all together

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A
We have a hard enough time knowing the plays and executing now. Adding another 30% to the play book isn't going to help that. We need to find easier ways to teach what we do so it doesn't take a two deep full of upperclassmen to have a decent year.

A typical play-call sheet has about 35 total plays ... a very small number of the playbook's total plays. Coaches have always told me that it's the really boring plays that typically do the best. They are the easiest to teach and it's more about execution than fancy footwork and patterns. In other words, whether it's passing or running ... go for the demonstrated high percentage plays.

It's boring ball. But it wins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CBS Sports writer Jerry Palm predicted GT would play Memphis in the Military Bowl

At this point, I'd be happy with ANY bowl. If our offense and defense canlt perform up to their capabilities on the same day every game, we may not make a bowl at all.

One game our defense actually plays well, then our offense decides to not show up. Our offense begins to click, and our defense forgets they actually have to play as well.

Need our units to play as a TEAM.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A

A typical play-call sheet has about 35 total plays ... a very small number of the playbook's total plays. Coaches have always told me that it's the really boring plays that typically do the best. They are the easiest to teach and it's more about execution than fancy footwork and patterns. In other words, whether it's passing or running ... go for the demonstrated high percentage plays.

It's boring ball. But it wins.
I don't think it's the base plays that are giving us trouble. I think we struggle to execute the blocking scheme adjustments CPJ makes to counter what we're seeing from opposing defenses.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not happy with what I see on the field, but "it is what it is".

I don't particularly blame CPJ. I do blame the management of the Athletics programs at GT whether that be the Hill or the AA....

People complain about our DC. How much money do you want to spend to get great coaches? Do we have that kind of money? That.s a management issue, not a CPJ issue.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Navy 46 Houston 40 Houston had one of the top defenses in the nation going into that game Navy is 4and 1

Always need a good laugh day after another loss. Thanks.

When CPJ is fired, retired, quits, or is hired somewhere else it would be total suicide to continue to run this O.

Which means that is probably exactly what we would do which will lead to more media ridicule/non-coverage, fewer ticket sales, more debt, worse recruiting.

Only at GT Can We Do That!

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I was an offensive lineman in college. It is not that hard to learn new or different plays on a weekly basis. The players know the plays and while they don't always execute, sometimes the plays we have won't work against certain defenses.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The option is just hard to recruit for, we get lucky every now and then like JT, Dedrick, Swillings, AJ but most top recruits don't want to play in it. You know how most teams have a hard time simulating our offense I'm sure we have a hard time simulating theirs as well making our defense struggle. We live in a different era than when CPJ first got here. Georgia has turned into one of the most talent rich states in America for football and we get one 4 star every other year or so when there's probably 30-40 every year from GA. Duke is starting to get decent recruiting and has no where near the atmosphere tech provides for players. Sorry to rant, but I see no positives in keeping CPJ. His offense compounds the challenges we already face in recruiting.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The option is just hard to recruit for, we get lucky every now and then like JT, Dedrick, Swillings, AJ but most top recruits don't want to play in it. You know how most teams have a hard time simulating our offense I'm sure we have a hard time simulating theirs as well making our defense struggle. We live in a different era than when CPJ first got here. Georgia has turned into one of the most talent rich states in America for football and we get one 4 star every other year or so when there's probably 30-40 every year from GA. Duke is starting to get decent recruiting and has no where near the atmosphere tech provides for players. Sorry to rant, but I see no positives in keeping CPJ. His offense compounds the challenges we already face in recruiting.
I think GT will be looking for a new head coach if GT finishes 6-6 and goes to a bottom rung Bowl Game. I don't think Ken Niumatalolo of Navy is a solution the critics of CPJ are looking for because Navy pretty much runs the same offense that GT does.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
His offense compounds the challenges we already face in recruiting.

This is what I was told. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but ... CPJ was specifically recruited to Tech because of his TO offense. The feeling was that Tech would not be able to recruit the larger players that power football requires and that we would have more success recruiting smaller, more well-rounded athletes. And these would be more successful in an option style offense.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is still true. Kids want to ultimately play pro ball and perhaps there is merit that while it can work, we need to think about what drives kids to select the school in the first place.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Roof has some explaining to do. His defense supposed to have gotten better. Pittsburgh isn't getting better talent than GT so that excuse doesn't apply.

Also lets be honest CPJ's offense didn't exactly light it up either. Matter of fact outside of the Vandy GT hasn't been exactly dominant offensively. It's like 14' was more of an aberration than the norm.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I was told. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but ... CPJ was specifically recruited to Tech because of his TO offense. The feeling was that Tech would not be able to recruit the larger players that power football requires and that we would have more success recruiting smaller, more well-rounded athletes. And these would be more successful in an option style offense.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is still true. Kids want to ultimately play pro ball and perhaps there is merit that while it can work, we need to think about what drives kids to select the school in the first place.
Possible future head coaching candidates for GT that i like is Jeff Brohm of Western Kentucky,Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State,Joe Moglia of Coastal Carolina and Russ Huesman of UT Chattanooga