Paul Johnson's job

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
I've never been on the fire Paul Johnson train but I was wondering how long do you guys think our new AD will give him if we continue to lose. Not necessarily play poorly, but still lose.

I love the Jackets and can't stand CPJ. Don't care about the style of O or the D; he can't recruit D-1 players to his teams for whatever reason you want to use. There are 3 legit on offense and 2-3 on defense. The rest are playing their tails off, but the just can't get there even though they are maxing out.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't fire him make him hire a OC that run a updated offensive. Oline is pitiful. They need a new blocking scheme. Driving for there knees don't get it......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
I am a little confused about GT history, so I looked up some w-l stuff. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football_seasons
Some very selective memories on this board.
Also, I have spent a considerable amount of time involved with recruiting over the last 12 years and I have to say that GT has some very serious challenges with regard to academic requirements and what is required from their student athletes. This is usually glossed over here, but it is an impediment to high level recruiting in the Power 5. In other words, recruits don't come to GT because Math is Hard and recreation classes are fun. Not because Paul Johnson is a big meany who doesn't kiss 50 yr old ex-players butts.
So, firing talk? Really? Because you watched a game on TV or worse, In Person, and you think you know what wrong with the team. I watch a lot of football, and it is never easy to tell what's wrong, especially form the TV angle.
Or do you want to be the second school to fire a coach with a better resume than any of the applicants are going to bring?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Please know and understand football before posting things on here you actually know nothing about, I won't say any names, but I'll leave it at that.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That makes no sense. Would they have hired Todd Stansbury if they would have wanted to deemphasize football?

Hope you are correct in your expectation and I sure wish Todd was here now.

But as a fellow said at the tailgate this morning as regards the hire - " They still control him and maybe the presser was the biggest dog & pony show yet!" IDK

But remember, MBob & DRad were NOT fired - they quit. MBob would still be here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am a little confused about GT history, so I looked up some w-l stuff. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football_seasons
Also, I have spent a considerable amount of time involved with recruiting over the last 12 years and I have to say that GT has some very serious challenges with regard to academic requirements and what is required from their student athletes. This is usually glossed over here, but it is an impediment to high level recruiting in the Power 5. In other words, recruits don't come to GT because Math is Hard and recreation classes are fun. Not because Paul Johnson is a big meany who doesn't kiss 50 yr old ex-players butts.
So, firing talk? Really? Because you watched a game on TV or worse, In Person, and you think you know what wrong with the team. I watch a lot of football, and it is never easy to tell what's wrong, especially form the TV angle.
Or do you want to be the second school to fire a coach with a better resume than any of the applicants are going to bring?

Thanks.

FWIW, I think some of the fire him crowd suffer the heroic challenge of being sidewalk fans. When you choose to support a team without being attached to the school, it's harder to look beyond the black and white of WL. I think this challenge is worse in Ga because of how obnoxious dwag fans are. I applaud our sidewalk fans for their difficult loyalty.

Some of the others are just trolls.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
There will always be a talent gap as long as Paul Johnson is the head coach. The elite athletes are not interested in playing in our system. Elite lineman don't want to spend an entire game diving at ankles. An elite RB wants to be the premiere back with lots of carries and yards. Elite receivers don't want to spend their time blocking and rarely getting receptions. We might get one every now and then, but not enough to really make a difference. Our offensive line is the prime example. 9th year people! 9th year!

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Will Lucas Johnson be the one to finally allow some balance in this offense?
There will never be balance to this offense while Johnson is still the head coach. Never. In 9 years he only once made a half assed effort to change some and that was with Vad and it failed miserably. He knows one thing and one thing only and that is option football from under center and he will go down with the ship (the SS Sewak) trying to prove everyone wrong that says he can't consistently win big in power 5 football running his offense.

Milwaukee

Banned

I'm completely with you in regards to PJ, but I'm not with you at all as far as referencing our past to guage our current and future expectations/goals. Should players coming to GT look at that and say "Tech is a 6 to 7 win team usually, so no big deal if we don't change that for the better. I mean, what do they expect?". Expecting to improve and change the culture isn't a bad thing, and it doesn't make people "unrealistic". This is a gigantic problem within our fan base, in my opinion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There will never be balance to this offense while Johnson is still the head coach. Never. In 9 years he only once made a half assed effort to change some and that was with Vad and it failed miserably. He knows one thing and one thing only and that is option football from under center and he will go down with the ship (the SS Sewak) trying to prove everyone wrong that says he can't consistently win big in power 5 football running his offense.

LOL. During his time at GT, we've has #6 efficient offense scoring against pwr5 / bcs aq opponents. Blame him for not finding a way to have a better D, but blaming his O is ignorant.

Just this year, we scored 38 on Vandy who allowed only 13 to UF and SCar.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
We wont be able to replace Johnson with a coach that will get us to 11 wins twice over a 7 year span. Not to mention 2 Orange Bowl appearances. Tech fans need to be careful for what they wish for. We've only had 8 finishs in top 25 last 40 years. CPJ and O'Leary had 3.

Its a new era for Tech. Administration wont let us get away with the stuff O'Leary could. CPJ has done a fantastic job as head coach here and its a shame some fans are so biased against his offense to appreciate it. Only 2 coaches in last 60 years have won over 11 games multiple times.

Id like for us to have great year this year, but our fan base is so whiny. We have unrealistic expectations. No coach will be able to come here and run a spread offense with our talent and recruits.

He deserves at least till end of next year before everyone gives up on him. Still a long season. People were saying "Fire CPJ" after we lost to Duke and UNC in 2014. Some of our fans are nuts.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
You're exactly right, sir. Some of our fans have become insanely delusional. CPJ has had to deal with firing talk every year hes been here because people are biased against offense he runs. It's pathetic. The people who are so against him now are the ones who were saying he should be canned during our 11 win 2014 season.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm a sidewalk fan and have grown tired of PJ. His offense has to work perfect to beat teams with twice the talent. Gailey did pretty dang well against Miami. Richt rolls into Atlanta and beats Tech once again. Very Frustrated right now about the program as a whole. Tired of seeing our secondary not challenging the receivers at the line. Give the guys a chance to make a play! When we made it 21-28 I thought we had a shot and then Roof lets Miami play pitch and catch down the field!

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
I understand that there is frustration. I think that stems from an inability to recognize that there are things that are necessary to bring in 4-5 star recruits that GT is not willing to do. I am OK with that, then again, I'm not a 'fan' it's a little deeper than that. I like that Trey is an GT Engineer who played football while there. As for Parker, he could have gone anywhere but chose GT because of this balance, because of this offense, and he likes Sewak.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that there is frustration. I think that stems from an inability to recognize that there are things that are necessary to bring in 4-5 star recruits that GT is not willing to do. I am OK with that, then again, I'm not a 'fan' it's a little deeper than that. I like that Trey is an GT Engineer who played football while there. As for Parker, he could have gone anywhere but chose GT because of this balance, because of this offense, and he likes Sewak.

Coach, to the extent that you can, please talk about what you think the problems really are. BTW, great job by Parker today!

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a sidewalk fan and have grown tired of PJ. His offense has to work perfect to beat teams with twice the talent. Gailey did pretty dang well against Miami. Richt rolls into Atlanta and beats Tech once again. Very Frustrated right now about the program as a whole. Tired of seeing our secondary not challenging the receivers at the line. Give the guys a chance to make a play! When we made it 21-28 I thought we had a shot and then Roof lets Miami play pitch and catch down the field!
Nothing is stopping you from giving tons of money to support your cause. Talk is cheap. Put up or shut up.