Paul Johnson's job

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to get off track but you're right about the Tenn game next year. We do have 8-9 starters back on both sides of the ball but the way it looks now, even with another years experience, it won't matter because of coaching on the Oline and D. Breaking in a new QB against a team with the talent a dept of a Tennessee is going to be ugly. It's unfortunate that the season is going the way it has. There's been no chance to get Jordan or Marshall legitimate time at qb. If this is what we are getting with a 5th yr qb out there I'd hate to see it as without him.
I think the UT-GT game will be interesting with both teams starting new quarterbacks. Tennessee will have an inexperienced backfield with Quinten Dormady at quarterback and John Kelly along with Carlin Fils-Aime as the running backs. I think GT could win 8-9 games in 2017 if they get their ducks in a row and Tennessee should win 8-9 games falling back a little because of backfield inexperience.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Kentucky had a big name coach ... Bear Bryant. Kentucky, like Kansas, is a basketball school, no? I would think UK would get an up and comer on his way to a bigger school. I don't know .. what do you think?
I think Kentucky this time will pony up the big bucks if they think they can hire Charlie Strong.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
wow. I don't know. They'd have to get into the arms race with UGA, Tenn and Florida. I just don't see that ... basketball maybe ... not football. I could be wrong though.
It would be tougher for Tennessee having to recruit against a well known coach like Charlie Strong if he gets hired as UK coach. UT would still have the edge in recruiting but it would be a bigger fight for prospects in Kentucky and Ohio(The biggest recruiting grounds for UT are Tennessee,Georgia,Ohio,Indiana and California. Florida is opening up also)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Im not saying that all of our problems are PJ's fault, there is several things that we have to fix to get back to competing with the top teams, I just want to know people's opinions on if we were to fire Johnson and Roof who does everyone think we would go after to replace them?

I disagree with the premise that we're not competing with the top teams now. Last year we beat the team that ended the season at #14 (were #6 when we beat them).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
wow. I don't know. They'd have to get into the arms race with UGA, Tenn and Florida. I just don't see that ... basketball maybe ... not football. I could be wrong though.
Imo, they should get the texas tech offensive staff and recruit tall passing qbs. Hire blitz defense . ThAt would shake up sec.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I knew plenty of UK girls when I was younger, and the theme was always the same. They loved drinking bourbon and going to the football games, but didn't really care if they won or lost. Basketball? Totally different story. They went to the game expecting to win and drinking after.

I don't think much has changed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The thought of changing schemes doesn't scare me. Other schemes have been and can be successful at Tech. The ability to find a better coach who can be more successful is what scares me.

Most everyone on this board concedes Tech doesn't do enough to compete at a high level. Yet that is exactly what we have done for the most part during CPJ. We haven't dominated like Bama but we have been to Charlotte and the Orange Bowl, twice. The other years we have typically finished 2nd in the division. A problem now is that the conference has gotten better from top to bottom and I think we have not kept pace. So the competition has caught up with us. I point again to commitment by the institute. Therein lies the only real fix. Otherwise we will see the same results, or more likely worse, with new faces.

But fans see losses they don't like and the knee jerk is the same...."fire the coaches." It's like amputating an arm to cure a flu.

So. My opinion is we havent done well enough for what we can control first before the institute.

One. At 750k a year we can find a better fit for dc. Actually just a better dc period. Let the new dc hire staff or keep whoever he likes.

Two. Paul is too nice and wont steal from academies. Need to steal a ol coach and fire sewak

Three. Paul is nice and loyal and its time to refresh the wr coach position.

Do these things. Then complain about the institute. Sewak is paid 400k a year. Lol

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ya ya 33....u hate roof and Sewak and now the WR coach...I get it. That being the case....it's kind of dumb for you to support CPJ at all.

Not that you are at practice or have any first hand knowledge of how any of them coach. I get it....results on the field....yada yada

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
ya ya 33....u hate roof and Sewak and now the WR coach...I get it. That being the case....it's kind of dumb for you to support CPJ at all.

Not that you are at practice or have any first hand knowledge of how any of them coach. I get it....results on the field....yada yada

Been to practices a bunch. As recent as this offseason :)

Fyi. I like paul. I have a good buddy who was a big d1a coach in a major conf that had the same loyalty issue and was self admitting. Remember. Coaches are human and have flaws too. Its no different than a good engineer making errors in his work or a mgr with their job. As an engineer I think you would be shocked to see how easy football really is.

People talk about it like its some complicated thing. Its not at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As an engineer I think you would be shocked to see how easy football really is.

FWIW...guys like Art Briles, Mike Leach, Chip Kelly, Gus Malzahn and our own CPJ are on record pretty much saying that exact thing (CPJ voices this on that intro video he did with Wes back in 2008). Guys who have their own system that people revere, they understand that football stripped down and easy to digest for players is the best approach. In fact, I believe only Briles may be the only coach of the bunch who really has a play book for their guys.

Football isn't hard, people make it hard. The stuff they do on the NFL level isn't much different than what HS teams do, it's just coaches make it verbose and overwhelming as if it makes them a genius to do it. If you haven't already, watch Hard Knocks this season with the Rams. Watch how much Jared Goff struggles with the plays. Having a play that's similar to reading a paragraph is silly.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think Kentucky this time will pony up the big bucks if they think they can hire Charlie Strong.

As any FYI, Kentucky already has ponied up a ton of money to be competitive in the SEC. Since Stoops got there, they have completely renovated the stadium, build an indoor practice facility, and also killer new locker rooms. Currently, the buyout for Stoops is the 6th highest in the SEC (which is actually why he won't get fired this year).

Nick Saban, Alabama
2016 Salary: $7.09 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $23.3 million

Bret Bielema, Arkansas
2016 Salary: $4.06 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $15.4 million before 2018; $7.9 million before 2020

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M
2016 Salary: $5 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $15 million (payable within 60 days of termination, nonetheless!)

Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss
2016 Salary: $4.7 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: Not disclosed, but the terms of his old contract suggest approximately $15 million

Kirby Smart, Georgia
2016 Salary: $3.75 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $13.5 million

Mark Stoops, Kentucky
2016 Salary: $3.5 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $12 million; With assistants, nearly $18 million

Jim McElwain, Florida
2016 Salary: $4.25 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $11.25 million ($2.25 million for each remaining year of contract)

Butch Jones, Tennessee
2016 salary: $4.13 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $10 million

Will Muschamp, South Carolina
2016 Salary: $3 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $9.1 million (70% of annual guaranteed compensation left on contract)

Gus Malzahn, Auburn
2016 Salary: $4.35 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $8.95 million

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State

2016 Salary: $4 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: Remainder of unpaid salary (Exact figures undisclosed, but believed to be around $8.5 million)

Les Miles, LSU
2016 Salary: $4.39 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: $6.4 million

Barry Odom, Missouri

2016 Salary: $2.35 million
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: “An aggregate amount equal to all earned but unpaid annual salary and incentives, accrued benefits, reimbursement of incurred expenses and unused vacation.”

Derek Mason, Vanderbilt

2016 Salary: Not disclosed (Vanderbilt is a private institution)
Buyout if fired after 2016 season: Not disclosed (Vanderbilt is a private institution)

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/comparing-mark-stoops-buyout-to-the-rest-of-the-sec/

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Been to practices a bunch. As recent as this offseason :)

Fyi. I like paul. I have a good buddy who was a big d1a coach in a major conf that had the same loyalty issue and was self admitting. Remember. Coaches are human and have flaws too. Its no different than a good engineer making errors in his work or a mgr with their job. As an engineer I think you would be shocked to see how easy football really is.

DCS beat me to it. Jujitsu is a very simple martial art. I can learn how to use an arm bar, a guillotine choke, rear naked choke etc...I can learn all those fundamentals. And when I face a Gracie on the mat I'm still screwed.