Paul Johnson's job

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was thinking of the below, he apparently wasn't implicated.
"The NCAA Committee on Infractions announced Thursday that it has placedGeorgia Southern on two years' probation after two former staff members provided improper academic assistance to three football players.

The penalties also include the loss of two football scholarships during the 2016-17 school year, a 10 percent reduction in official visits and a 10 percent reduction in football evaluations during the same year.

Georgia Southern's football team will have to vacate any victories in which the players competed while they were ineligible, and the university self-imposed a $5,000 fine.

According to the NCAA report, a former assistant compliance director provided a football player with a flash drive containing her previous work for a course in which the player was enrolled. The player pulled an assignment from the flash drive and submitted it as his own work.

When a professor discovered the plagiarism, the player tried to take sole responsibility for the cheating. But he later told investigators that the staff member gave him the flash drive and instructed him to lie.

In a separate incident, a former assistant director of student-athlete services submitted 10 extra-credit assignments on behalf of two football players. According to the NCAA, she obtained the student-athletes' usernames and passwords and submitted the work without the players' knowledge.

The former assistant compliance director and former assistant director of student-athlete services were given three-year show-cause orders by the NCAA, which requires any school that employs them to appear before a Committee on Infractions panel.

The Eagles finished 9-4 last season and won their first bowl game as an FBS member, defeating Bowling Green 58-27 in the GoDaddy Bowl. Former Colorado State defensive coordinator Tyson Summers was named Georgia Southern's new coach in December after Willie Fritz left to become head coach at Tulane."

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We are dead last in ticket sales of public schools in the ACC, embarrasing.
We are dead last in contributions of public schools in the ACC, embarrasing.

Are we indeed dead last in ticket sales and giving PER CAPITA of our alumni base? Just curious...I would be very surprised if that were true. But because we have a limited curriculum, we have a smaller student body, and hence a much smaller alumni base to draw on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ideally, our next hire is already being groomed at Tech. Part of a good coach is the succession plan.
Is grooming in cpj vocabulary? Who has been hired away or been promoted? Kelly left after being a position coach. ( hope he survives the recent fsu defense collapse). I probably missed some that moved up. I do like that we have had some tech guys (tevin)comeback and help what is a lean staff.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are we indeed dead last in ticket sales and giving PER CAPITA of our alumni base? Just curious...I would be very surprised if that were true. But because we have a limited curriculum, we have a smaller student body, and hence a much smaller alumni base to draw on.

So then why is roll call no problem. 1/4 a billion in fund raising last year.

The issue is not the alumni. We kill it in roll call donations.

The issue is the school prevents the AA from accessing roll call donors easily. They claim its competing and not to touch their turf.

So the aa is left with ticket holders and hope and prayer

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I haven't seen UNC or NC State tout that 1 in 6 of their alumni are millionaires.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Anytime you bring in a new system, you have to start from scratch ... designing the program, recruiting, teaching the system, etc. It sets you back 3-4 years until you have all the cogs spinning.

I like programs where the same coach or his assistant have been there a long time. It creates consistency on multiple levels.

Thats not necessarily true, CPJ had two of his best seasons at GT in '08 and '09

I don't really see why our current offense triple-O personel wouldn't work in a spread-option attack, as stated above- GA Southern made the transition with ease.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CPJ looks so disgusted at times on the sidelines and in Pressers, i wonder if (God forbid) the wheels fall off again this season if he would just walk away from coaching?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Is grooming in cpj vocabulary? Who has been hired away or been promoted? Kelly left after being a position coach. ( hope he survives the recent fsu defense collapse). I probably missed some that moved up. I do like that we have had some tech guys (tevin)comeback and help what is a lean staff.
CPJ's coaching tree includes at least 3 current D1 head coaches with a few previous head coaches too.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Monken to GSU and Bohanon to Kennesaw. And, of course coach at Navy...not even going to try and spell it.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
At some point guys we can't pin our hopes of having special seasons on CPJ's play calling acumen and the benefits of having a quirky offense alone. Sometimes games are won or lost in the years/months leading up to the game. We need better players. The players that we do get, we need to squeeze every ounce of potential out of. Those things cost money in the form of more quality control guys and more recruiting staff.

Saban has complained about up-tempo offenses and Frank Beamer complained about cut-blocks. Doing things differently and providing the opposing side something different can be an equalizer on a game-to-game basis, but it will not be enough of an equalizer over the long haul if your talent is significantly less. Talent and resources are going to win out. We've probably outcoached Georgia from a tactical perspective every time since CPJ's been here, and you see where it gets us. Saban wants to make everyone play the same way so that in the end, it becomes about who has better athletes. He is no master tactician, nor is CMR. CMR's talent, I thought, was in always being able to develop a quarterback. CMR and Saban's strength lay in knowing how to bring all of their considerable resources to bear on the field of play. The current state of our football program puts almost all of the pressure on CPJ's play-calling acumen. That's the one advantage we have going into the games. Wouldn't it be nice to not be so outgunned when it came to the other things?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Dodd said Tech will always be outgunned on talent, because of the academics. But that was in the 50's.

The solution is to recruit local guys, build a strong esprit d'corps and outplay the other guys. The triple option and the Five Tenets were offered as the way to play. What we need, is to formalize it as part of Tech football DNA. We've never done that .,,