Paul Johnson's job

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My biggest questions still surround our defense. I'm hopeful that things will get better, but it's hard to find places to base confidence. That being said, Todd played with Ted, and it's true that there are some players from the 80s and 90s that don't like Paul. We'll see.

U do realize the gtaa could give a **** less what 99.9 percent of the ex players think about a coach....the gtaa cares about one thing $$$ and ex football players especially dont give squat to the program. Every once and a while u get a big donor like kim king or taz that was an ex athlete....and guess what. The AA listens and gives access. Its exactly like pay for play....this is first hand hoss

I would be much more concerned about the bigger donors than any ex player who has an opinion. And alot of the big donors like paul.

Either way Todd will have an opinion formulated. We will see....

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I get CPJ's point, and I understand his frustrations as he's a competitor that probably feels like he's running uphill with a 50 lb weight tied to him while schools like Clemson and FSU in our league don't have a the same baggage and get a head start. But to me, there are some things better left for discussion behind closed doors.

I just have this feeling that we're watching the beginning of the end with regards to CPJ. It use to be CPJ sniped about recruiting rankings and services didn't know what they were talking about when people questioned his recruiting versus the big boys, and he could point to his success early on. With the debacle of 2015 and consecutive losses against two more talented teams, we're starting to hear more about resources when questioned about results versus more talented teams. He's not wrong, but I think maybe he's past the point of pushing for things behind closed doors and campaigning openly for them...which is not a good look for GT or for him. Let's face it, he's been at GT for 9 years now. That's a long time and he's no longer a spring chicken. It's gotta be frustrating to sign his best recruiting classes the last couple of years, then see programs he use to own like Duke do better with recruiting and losing to them as well.

CPJ is a competitor, and I think he wants to see the kids he signed do well before his time is up. If he can get us back to a good bowl and possible division championship in the next couple of seasons, it would not surprise me one bit to see him move on. If the team's performance continues to slide, it may be GT that decides to part ways after 2017 and the buyout de-escalates.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is not going anywhere. First, GTAA cant afford a buyout with all of the buyouts on their books. Second, they still have the issue of fundraising and facilities.

Let Todd start to dig in and see what the priorities are. I like Paul but still think he needs better coaches under him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's contract is until 2020 correct? Paul Hewitt's contract will be up 2019. Books will be cleared. CPJ could be fired next season and off the books by 20'. It's not unforeseeable.

Scubapro

Banned
What should the faculty and administration do differently?
From what I understand the school expects the GTAA to be self funded This shouldnt be the case we will never be comparable to anyone in tha ACC ex Wake in regards to facilities essentially we dont have the fan base raise that much money
Tech makes all recruits get "accepted / approved" before making an offer This puts us way behind on the critcal path. Making early offers matter
We could use a large staff of consultants like Bama and Clemson to identify potential players at a National Level

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand the school expects the GTAA to be self funded This shouldnt be the case we will never be comparable to anyone in tha ACC ex Wake in regards to facilities essentially we dont have the fan base raise that much money

We are very comparable to all of the public schools except Virginia in student fees and institution funds that go to athletics: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
We are dead last in ticket sales of public schools in the ACC, embarrasing.
We are dead last in contributions of public schools in the ACC, embarrasing.

For people who want the GTAA to have more money, stop pointing fingers at the school admin. The school and the students are doing as much as any school in the ACC. Start buying tickets and making donations.

Tech makes all recruits get "accepted / approved" before making an offer This puts us way behind on the critcal path. Making early offers matter

I don't know anything about this. I do know that all of the offer letters basically say pending acceptance to the school along with other qualifiers such as character.

We could use a large staff of consultants like Bama and Clemson to identify potential players at a National Level

We sure could, and fans should donate money to the GTAA to make it happen. Stop waiting for other people to do it for us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I get CPJ's point, and I understand his frustrations as he's a competitor that probably feels like he's running uphill with a 50 lb weight tied to him while schools like Clemson and FSU in our league don't have a the same baggage and get a head start. But to me, there are some things better left for discussion behind closed doors.

I just have this feeling that we're watching the beginning of the end with regards to CPJ. It use to be CPJ sniped about recruiting rankings and services didn't know what they were talking about when people questioned his recruiting versus the big boys, and he could point to his success early on. With the debacle of 2015 and consecutive losses against two more talented teams, we're starting to hear more about resources when questioned about results versus more talented teams. He's not wrong, but I think maybe he's past the point of pushing for things behind closed doors and campaigning openly for them...which is not a good look for GT or for him. Let's face it, he's been at GT for 9 years now. That's a long time and he's no longer a spring chicken. It's gotta be frustrating to sign his best recruiting classes the last couple of years, then see programs he use to own like Duke do better with recruiting and losing to them as well.

CPJ is a competitor, and I think he wants to see the kids he signed do well before his time is up. If he can get us back to a good bowl and possible division championship in the next couple of seasons, it would not surprise me one bit to see him move on. If the team's performance continues to slide, it may be GT that decides to part ways after 2017 and the buyout de-escalates.

Lot to agree with in this post. I hate to engage in coach-change conversation but, I predict the CPJ era at GT will be misunderstood and misjudged for years to come.

Topics that will be debated in the future:

Did CPJ have an overall successful run at GT? (I would say yes; others will argue otherwise)
Did CPJ successfully navigate the unique coaching waters at GT? (At times, yes. There were things he could have done better)
Did CPJ recruit well? (I would say it was hit or miss. Last couple of years have seen an overall increase in quality)
Did CPJ's unique style and offense help or hurt GT's image/reputation? (Hard to say. Certainly in the three best years, GT was the talk of CFB at times, with marquee wins and exposure. It seemed, however, that during the average years, no grace was ever given, and "hot seat" talk would begin at the first sign of a down year)
Was CPJ the right choice at the right time to replace CCG at GT? (I would answer a resounding YES.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was hired because of his offense. The consensus view was that a triple option offebse sets up well for the athkete Tech is likely to recruit.

The problem is ... football is more, much more, than just offense.

Todd and CPJ need to figure a way to institutionalize the offense. It wont do any one any good to start all over w a new coach. Better to fix whats wrong and build on it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem is ... football is more, much more, than just offense.

Agreed. Coaching college football is about more than offense. It is about graduating student-athletes, molding them into productive members of society, representing an institute of higher ed with class through sports, and winning.

I posit that CPJ has done a more than admirable job at all of these things.

Todd and CPJ need to figure a way to institutionalize the offense. It wont do any one any good to start all over w a new coach. Better to fix whats wrong and build on it.

I don't understand.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Richt was not losing all the time to the top teams on UGAG schedule, we are why not take a chance on Mike Mcintyre if he fails and continues losing to the big 4 every year we are no worse off. We might improve recruiting a bit with a conventional offense.

I, after many times watching us hire the wrong guy for the wrong reason, do not see the intelligence of "why not take a chance on (name here).

Mike may be great or terrible - nobody
Pitt? The same Pitt that was in a dogfight against Marshall until very late in the game? UNC? The same UNC that has nnot shown to be able to stop anybody on D? uga? The same uga that barely escaped a loss against a horrible Nichols team and won on a case of coach brainfart against a horrible Mizzou team than got blown out by a mediocre LSwho team? SMDH

NEVER compare scores
There is little evidence to support the claim that a new head coach running a more conventional offense would have anything other than a minor uptick in recruiting at best.

It would immediately increase the size of our recruiting pool. Then up to a coach capable of recruiting to take advantage of it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Coaching college football is about more than offense. It is about graduating student-athletes, molding them into productive members of society, representing an institute of higher ed with class through sports, and winning.

I don't understand.

And it is also about playing D & ST. Without having to hire a new DC every 3/4 years.

It is also about coaching up your players and not letting them roll on the turf as a way to block.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You do know that Clemson is the only team that has really stopped us this year right? Miami didn't really stop us we stopped ourselves.

Football is more than, contrary to what COJ thinks, them stopping our O.
OUR D needs to stop them, and our S/T needs to do their part.

Johnson, like pepper, came here too concerned with O.

Need a team

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GT actually has nice facilities. Do we have water falls and personal stripper poles at each player's locker (OK, just slightly exaggerating there)? No, but the stuff that Alabama, Oregon, Clemson has 99% of the college football teams in the P5 don't have either.

Fact: GT has an indoor practice facility. Miami, which beat us this weekend, does not have an indoor practice facility. UGA, who easily doubles our revenue and attendance still doesn't have an indoor practice facility (though one is on the books to be completed soon). GT was able to build an indoor practice facility in the middle of a city before two schools that aren't as land locked as GT. Think about that.

Pro athletes and teams come from around the country to use our facilities, and I don't mean just ex-GT athletes. Our facilities are actually some of the better ones in college football. Sure, we are not going to compete with schools like 'Bama and Oregon, but neither are the other 99% of college football. Believe it or not, our facilities are actually up there. Of course we could stand to upgrade certain portions of our facilities (weight room!), but overall, GT is not a pauper either.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Why would the new AD be interested in someone who can't win with the money and talent they have at Texas?
Why would the new AD be interested in someone who can't win with the money and talent they have at Texas?

Because the new AD might realize that a person's success/failure in one job does guarantee success/failure in another job?

Radical thought.

And the poster might have been thinking about other "dominos" that would then fall in such a case.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I posit that CPJ has done a more than

I don't understand.
Agreed. Coaching college football is about more than offense. It is about graduating student-athl

I don't understand.

I don't understand.

Anytime you bring in a new system, you have to start from scratch ... designing the program, recruiting, teaching the system, etc. It sets you back 3-4 years until you have all the cogs spinning.

I like programs where the same coach or his assistant have been there a long time. It creates consistency on multiple levels.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anytime you bring in a new system, you have to start from scratch ... designing the program, recruiting, teaching the system, etc. It sets you back 3-4 years until you have all the cogs spinning.

I like programs where the same coach or his assistant have been there a long time. It creates consistency on multiple levels.

I certainly agree with this. I witnessed the perfect transition at GSU after Jeff Monken left for Army. Willie Fritz inherited a flexbone roster that Monken had won with, and immediately made it successful in a shotgun/pistol spread option attack.

Our next hire after CPJ will need to be a very wise one. (I think Fritz would be a great choice, actually...)