Paul Johnson to retire

Jmonty71

Banned
Wow... Shock of the day... I really don't think we were getting much of anywhere, lately. There isn't a whole of lot coaches out there, that I know of. Mack Brown?? LOL

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Those are the same people who are happy to run adult day care centers with barely literate football players who can play video games all day and slide down kiddie slides. We want to win, but are unwilling to sacrifice our Institute's academic reputation. Our hundreds of thousands of alumni both living and dead and their careers, net worths, and reputations are thankful for that. There are reasons why companies come from all over the country to interview Tech Students. I had 25 interviews on campus at Tech before I graduated, and I only had a 3.2 GPA. Which was still pretty good at the time, but I am no Einstein. (As you probably all will violently agree with.)
Okie Dokie Albert(y)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson fan board is sad that they're losing an annual victory and will have another HC to compete with for GA recruits.

I don't think Kirby is too happy about losing a HC he just beat 83 to 28 the last 2 years.
What happens when you go back three years? How about 5? Cherry pick away dude.

Listen to Kirby's interviews leading up to the game. He mentioned how incredibly hard it was to prepare for. Someone asked what his plan for it was and he responded "beat it until we don't have to play it anymore."

As in, he is looking forward to *not* having to play our offense anymore.

Also, reading a Clemson fan board and expecting intelligence is less likely than getting it from a used toilet bowl.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been an avid fan of Tech football for 10years. My first real game was FSU in 08. A helluva game to pop my cherry. I remember the option being so cool to watch and just gashing Bobby Bowden. It was exciting and the ending to that game was so gnarly lol I was hooked on GT football after that.

Thanks for popping my cherry, Paul.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson fan board is sad that they're losing an annual victory and will have another HC to compete with for GA recruits.

I don't think Kirby is too happy about losing a HC he just beat 83 to 28 the last 2 years.
This has been the case with UGA fans at work today for me and what I've read nonstop from Clemson and UGA fans. Nobody has been cheering the leaving of Paul Johnson because they think wins will finally get easier for them.

What happens when you go back three years? How about 5? Cherry pick away dude.

Listen to Kirby's interviews leading up to the game. He mentioned how incredibly hard it was to prepare for. Someone asked what his plan for it was and he responded "beat it until we don't have to play it anymore."

As in, he is looking forward to *not* having to play our offense anymore.

Also, reading a Clemson fan board and expecting intelligence is less likely than getting it from a used toilet bowl.

It's not cherry-picking to point out that the Clemson and mutt teams of today are waaaaayyyyyyy better than the ones 5 years ago.
Kirby was just being polite to an opponent, same way he was when he put in his 3rd and 4th stringers in the 3rd qtr.
And if that was his plan, then he wins. So do GT fans.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I want an offense that passes more and would be very happy with the new offense that will be coming in for the 2019 season.
I think we would be better to go all the way to a scheme that does a lot of passing. ( Need one good qb, holding is legal, they call pass interference, and we can throw over the uga d l and l b) .

Mike I had tickets at baylor 1 year after brilles took over . They were bad till the third year then they went nuts - gotcrid of tickets 3 leads later- ugh.
To go to pass heavy we- reallly need a lot of speed to run pass centric. Brilles was very innovative(for example - got 4 track kids to play at wide out. They were not primary receivers but the went long on every play- never thru to them until they learned to catch
If we make a shift to pass heavy ,it will take time.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Sad to see Paul Johnson go, but I believe it was time. Worst homecoming attendance in 20 years. Almost zero support from the students.

For everyone who thinks his offense is the only system that can work here (and admittedly, I *love* watching the option), in 11 years the only times we had a competent passing attack was when we had NFL caliber wide receivers. With that said, the offense does put us in a bind that wasn't an issue in 2008. We have no tight-ends, no true offensive tackles. We have a stable of backs where we need to decide if they are better off at receiver or feature back. We have two QBs with potential in the passing game, but neither have ever started a game. And we're likely going to start over with a new defensive scheme (remember, we had real talent on defense in 2008 that carried us through the first few games while Nesbitt was making something out of nothing).

Recruiting could either pick up or go south, depending on how quickly we can make a hire and what that hire wants to do.

What offense do we run? Power spread probably makes the most sense based on personnel. I think whatever we do, we have to maintain a dual-threat QB. Even Alabama has figured this out. We aren't apt to get too many 6'5 QBs that can stand in the pocket, so we might as well use the advantage of dual-threat QB gives you.