Paul Johnson to retire

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I wonder about people on this board. I just brought up Whisenhunt's name to 6 different co-workers and they all thought he would be a great hire. Come on here and everyone thinks it would be terrible. Same thing with Johnson. When the news broke at the office EVERYONE thought it was great news for GT. Come on here and it's doom and gloom. I really would like to understand the psychology here. Something has caused many on this board to see our program completely differently than everyone else.
I want a college head coach or assistant to coach GT and i don't want an NFL retread with no college coaching experience

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I wonder about people on this board. I just brought up Whisenhunt's name to 6 different co-workers and they all thought he would be a great hire. Come on here and everyone thinks it would be terrible. Same thing with Johnson. When the news broke at the office EVERYONE thought it was great news for GT. Come on here and it's doom and gloom. I really would like to understand the psychology here. Something has caused many on this board to see our program completely differently than everyone else.

So 6 people are everybody else LOL!!! Got it. Please tell the room just what Whisenhunt brings to the table? What has he done to prepare himself to be a D! HC? When has he ever expressed a desire to be a collegiate head coach? He's NFL through and through based on everything I know about him.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Pro coaches that return to College are almost always failures

GT_EE78

Banned
I do hope I am wrong, but history, since the 1960's is not on that side. And, because of factories and TV money, I just think it is nearly impossible now to run a standard system and recruit well enough to GT for a coach to "coach them up" and win at an extremely high level. I do believe he is leaving because of the GT naysayers. I think he got fed up. He beat the dreaded Mutts 3 times with at least 2 of those coming with significantly less talent. That will not happen with a coach that runs a more popular offense, IMO.
have to disagree, WINNING is more popular than any choice of offensive/defensive scheme!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Back in 2008 when we fired Gailey I was happy about the news of us hiring Johnson. I thought he was a great fit and still think he was a great fit for us at that time. However, times change, opponents change, and for the most part Johnson didn't. Tried with Vad but quickly abandoned that and to me it became clear that he didn't want to adjust anymore (which ironically was what made his offenses so good). It doesn't really matter who the coach is, you have to be willing to adapt and change in college football. That doesn't mean wholesale change, but we probably did less this year in terms of offense than we did in 2009. Glad to see he was able to retire and not be forced out, at least overtly.

I disagree with those that act like we are guaranteed to be a 3 win team now. We weren't before Johnson and while changes have happened that separate the highest tier we remain in about the same position compared to the rest that we always have. BUt keep in mind, we had a 3 and 5 win season with Johnson, so it's not like we were guaranteed to be a bowl team under him going forward anyways.

Look forward to renewed excitement, personally, in the program.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
People here are likely very aware of GT's challenges and appreciate what CPJ was able to accomplish. Many of his detractors base their opinion on sound bytes and the opinions of talking heads. It's alot easier to agree with the "in crowd" than to go against the grain even if the facts are in your favor.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you are Tech fan my man. The early 80's has obviously given you an complex about our program that you haven't gotten over. God knows we have fielded competitive teams over the past 3 decades. 2/3rds of that without Johnson spanning 4 different coaches. We will be Ok although we should expect to take a step back before we can go forward.

And if the we don't get better, we try again.
I have been a fan since 1981 I know bad years and a sidewalk fan at that 37 years of season tickets will support the new coach even if I don't like him ( unlike you did with CPJ) I see myself as a better fan than you.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We're smarter

The only Tech fans I talk to are glad to see him go. You gotta go to the message boards to find fans of him and the offense. The non-Tech fans I talk to have been laughing at us for years.

Deleted member 2897

I have been a fan since 1981 I know bad years and a sidewalk fan at that 37 years of season tickets will support the new coach even if I don't like him ( unlike you did with CPJ) I see myself as a better fan than you.

Well he's also living in an imaginary world, and I mean that with no disrespect, just playful messageboard silliness. If we win our Bowl Game, it will be the 6th time in Paul Johnson's 11 years that we won 8 or more games. We did that 10 times total in the previous 50+ years prior to his arrival.

Man, I now wish my investment in GT swag was a little smaller this year. I really loved PJ for the Institute, as I believed and still believe he was the right guy for the job. We are like a military academy (STEM school), that just happens to be a public college in GA. Our recruiting will most likely improve if PJ's system is discarded, but a 10-15% improvement in talent will NOT, imo, make enough difference against the Clem'sSon and UGAG's of the world if we run a standard offense against their NFL defenses.

Last thing, and I will try not to post again today - the happiest folks right now are Kirby Smart, Dabo, Foster, etc. who no longer have to worry about defending this offense. I promise you, I promise you, they respected it and it got their attention.

The Clemson fan board is sad that they're losing an annual victory and will have another HC to compete with for GA recruits.

I don't think Kirby is too happy about losing a HC he just beat 83 to 28 the last 2 years.

Deleted member 2897

The only Tech fans I talk to are glad to see him go. You gotta go to the message boards to find fans of him and the offense. The non-Tech fans I talk to have been laughing at us for years.

Those are the same people who are happy to run adult day care centers with barely literate football players who can play video games all day and slide down kiddie slides. We want to win, but are unwilling to sacrifice our Institute's academic reputation. Our hundreds of thousands of alumni both living and dead and their careers, net worths, and reputations are thankful for that. There are reasons why companies come from all over the country to interview Tech Students. I had 25 interviews on campus at Tech before I graduated, and I only had a 3.2 GPA. Which was still pretty good at the time, but I am no Einstein. (As you probably all will violently agree with.)