Paul Johnson to retire

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, don't want a more-traditional offense. I say get someone here who'll spread it out in the gun and run more of an RPO for running plays, rather than 30 boring QB Keepers and FB dive plays.

We already have the perfect QB to do this.
I want an offense that passes more and would be very happy with the new offense that will be coming in for the 2019 season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but uga is on a totally different playing field from virtually everyone in College Football. They have entered the same plane as Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. They won every game by more than 2 TD's except the LSU game which looks like a fluke now.

Maybe with a new coach we can get back to beating Duke?
and only Duke

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I figured this day was coming, though I thought it would be another several years. It appears he is leaving on his own terms, for which I am glad. Personally I enjoyed watching this offense, and when it is humming it is truly a TOB! More importantly CPJ ran the program with integrity. And, he beat the dawgs, THWG!
As for the coaching search, TStan has the biggest decision of his career, his legacy at GT probably hangs in the balance. I do believe an option based offense is best suited to our unique situation. It is probably best overall if we go in the direction of a more RPO type offense. I believe we could successfully recruit to this style.
Finally, thank you Coach Johnson for the many great memories. You will be missed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Please don't leave! Yes, I'm begging like a pathetic girlfriend. And, I'm talking to two people.
I will miss the heck out of CPJ. Loved that guy. Loved our program under him. INTEGRITY, fire, smart, unique, hard-nosed, and really exciting. And, oh yeah, INTEGRITY! Hard to believe this is happening. If we get some sleazeball who puts winning and self-image over character, I will move on with my life.

1. I do hope for a CPJ-tree guy. I love this scheme and the culture of men and programs connected to it.
  2. If not #1, at least a scheme that involves the QB significantly in the run game. This is just math. 11 is more than 10. GT-folk of all people should appreciate the simple, fundamental advantage having to truly account for 11 people in the run game has for everything else about football.
  3. If not #1 or #2, I don't get the negativity toward Whisenhunt. That man can coach too. He went to (and should've won) a freakin' Superbowl in '08 and has done some very impressive things at the highest level, imo. You don't get jobs like that, and you certainly don't find that kind of success at that level if you don't bring a LOT to the table. The success or lackthereof of a football program isn't just about the HC, as we all know. The fact that he did it in Arizona which hasn't done SQUAT ever before or since him as HC speaks volumes. I like the idea of a Tech man. Him, Godsey, Key, etc (maybe on the same staff) should be given the benefit of the doubt and every chance to succeed if that occurs. I think they would have an innate desire to succeed HERE that wouldn't be true of others, they would understand the program and what it needs to succeed, respect for the Institute, and I think they would have integrity.

Back to you, @ilovetheoption , you're in about a 4 or 5-way tie for my favorite poster on the internet. You gotta stick around, you just gotta! Unless we hire someone like Lane Kiffin, in which case, you're free to go, and I'm right behind you.

Completely agree with everything here. I liked it so much I had to quote it too.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hope you're wrong. I know you hope you're wrong, too. But you have a good chance to be right, unfortunately.

I do hope I am wrong, but history, since the 1960's is not on that side. And, because of factories and TV money, I just think it is nearly impossible now to run a standard system and recruit well enough to GT for a coach to "coach them up" and win at an extremely high level. I do believe he is leaving because of the GT naysayers. I think he got fed up. He beat the dreaded Mutts 3 times with at least 2 of those coming with significantly less talent. That will not happen with a coach that runs a more popular offense, IMO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think it's pretty safe to say the Bowl Game will be the last time we see the option offense at GT

You also predicted two ACC teams would win 10 games who had nearly zero chance to do so.

If our next HC flames out there is a pretty good chance Tech might want to revisit a triple option scheme again.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I do hope I am wrong, but history, since the 1960's is not on that side. And, because of factories and TV money, I just think it is nearly impossible now to run a standard system and recruit well enough to GT for a coach to "coach them up" and win at an extremely high level. I do believe he is leaving because of the GT naysayers. I think he got fed up.
Yeah it's our fault he's retiring:rolleyes: PLEASE:banghead: