Paul Johnson to retire

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Having TS as AD is VERY good fortune.Might be the best person possible to hire a new fball coach.He knows the good, bad and ugly.also-He might be able to push for changes that a new coach insists on.

This will be TStan's first HC football hire as an AD.

Just an FYI...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wish Paul well. Hope he enjoys his retirement and his time with his family. it is well deserved.

This in some ways is about as good as you could hope for at GT. Since he decided to retire that means no buyout and Hewitt comes off the books in April.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. We've got a potentially kickass QB with 4 years of eligibility left. That's Step 1 for any offensive scheme we roll forward with.

Next year was going to be tough anyway, with the OL losses and breaking in a new QB. Might as well break in a whole new offense!

We only lose Marshall, Bryan and Ivemeyer next year. Everybody else is back. Kenny Cooper at center, and Connor Hansen & Parker Braun at guard look like pretty good returnees to me in the middle of the OL.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You folks who are glad to see him go will see that we will continue to struggle with recruiting, and playing a more traditional offense will struggle mightily like Gailey's always did against good competition. Maybe we can improve D recruiting enough that we can compete at least against most ACC teams, as we did in the past, but those of you who want to beat UGAG at their own game, you are in for a sad reckoning. It is 2018, and the factories rule.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You folks who are glad to see him go will see that we will continue to struggle with recruiting, and playing a more traditional offense will struggle mightily like Gailey's always did against good competition. Maybe we can improve D recruiting enough that we can compete at least against most ACC teams, as we did in the past, but those of you who want to beat UGAG at their own game, you are in for a sad reckoning. It is 2018, and the factories rule.

Hope you're wrong. I know you hope you're wrong, too. But you have a good chance to be right, unfortunately.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
People can hate on the man for whatever reason they like, but the dude has incredible class and has constantly exhibited that he is for his players first and foremost.

I hope our next coach is good, but I doubt we'll get someone who is as good at making our athletes Tech Men.

+1

I, for one, don't want a more-traditional offense. I say get someone here who'll spread it out in the gun and run more of an RPO for running plays, rather than 30 boring QB Keepers and FB dive plays.

We already have the perfect QB to do this.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

I hate to say it, but uga is on a totally different playing field from virtually everyone in College Football. They have entered the same plane as Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. They won every game by more than 2 TD's except the LSU game which looks like a fluke now.

Maybe with a new coach we can get back to beating Duke?