Paul Johnson to retire

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Always been a fan of CPJ, but he said a while back when he gets to a point where he just can't win or it isn't fun anymore he would retire. Those 4th and 6 calls at the UGA game pretty much sealed the deal.
He was a great coach and a hall of famer , he's done amazing things for this program

Now real question...is whose next will it be an option coach or a standard offense coach.
Will be interesting seeing as how our offense is built and the current recruits coming in

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for RPO to attract talent on both sides of the ball.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Monken tweaks heavier to his personnel. He doesn't throw at army because they really haven't needed to. At Southern when he had shaw he awas in the gun about 40 percent of the game and threw is at least 15 to 19 times a game.

Thanks.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Stylee and I will announce our retirements as well on gtswarm.com exclusively tomorrow at 12:45 PM EST.

I may end up at an FCS-level or G5 board in a few years. Maybe Tulane's if Willie Fritz is still around.

Just kidding - more than happy to break down whatever new offense comes our way:

"See? This guy is in shotgun. He points at the middle linebacker. Then claps his hands. Then hands it to the back. Who runs into the back of his LG, then falls forward for a 1-yard gain."

I wouldn't mind seeing Monken get a shot here. I wouldn't mind seeing an Air Raid guy get a shot here. But I do mind seeing a "Hey, I got you 3 straight years of 9 win seasons, then I bolted for South Carolina and landed you on probation" guy.

Animal02

Banned
Please don't leave! Yes, I'm begging like a pathetic girlfriend. And, I'm talking to two people.
I will miss the heck out of CPJ. Loved that guy. Loved our program under him. INTEGRITY, fire, smart, unique, hard-nosed, and really exciting. And, oh yeah, INTEGRITY! Hard to believe this is happening. If we get some sleazeball who puts winning and self-image over character, I will move on with my life.

1. I do hope for a CPJ-tree guy. I love this scheme and the culture of men and programs connected to it.
  2. If not #1, at least a scheme that involves the QB significantly in the run game. This is just math. 11 is more than 10. GT-folk of all people should appreciate the simple, fundamental advantage having to truly account for 11 people in the run game has for everything else about football.
  3. If not #1 or #2, I don't get the negativity toward Whisenhunt. That man can coach too. He went to (and should've won) a freakin' Superbowl in '08 and has done some very impressive things at the highest level, imo. You don't get jobs like that, and you certainly don't find that kind of success at that level if you don't bring a LOT to the table. The success or lackthereof of a football program isn't just about the HC, as we all know. The fact that he did it in Arizona which hasn't done SQUAT ever before or since him as HC speaks volumes. I like the idea of a Tech man. Him, Godsey, Key, etc (maybe on the same staff) should be given the benefit of the doubt and every chance to succeed if that occurs. I think they would have an innate desire to succeed HERE that wouldn't be true of others, they would understand the program and what it needs to succeed, respect for the Institute, and I think they would have integrity.

Back to you, @ilovetheoption , you're in about a 4 or 5-way tie for my favorite poster on the internet. You gotta stick around, you just gotta! Unless we hire someone like Lane Kiffin, in which case, you're free to go, and I'm right behind you.
Agree except for #3.....look at how the "Tech" men of the past have worked out.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Interesting old CPJ article that may speak a bit to the timing:

Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson rips coaches that leave after National Signing Day
paul-johnson.jpg

https://fanbuzz.com/college-footbal...oaches-that-leave-after-national-signing-day/

Animal02

Banned
Stylee and I will announce our retirements as well on gtswarm.com exclusively tomorrow at 12:45 PM EST.

I may end up at an FCS-level or G5 board in a few years. Maybe Tulane's if Willie Fritz is still around.

Just kidding - more than happy to break down whatever new offense comes our way:

"See? This guy is in shotgun. He points at the middle linebacker. Then claps his hands. Then hands it to the back. Who runs into the back of his LG, then falls forward for a 1-yard gain."

I wouldn't mind seeing Monken get a shot here. I wouldn't mind seeing an Air Raid guy get a shot here. But I do mind seeing a "Hey, I got you 3 straight years of 9 win seasons, then I bolted for South Carolina and landed you on probation" guy.
Talked with a Army grad/player earlier this year. Everyone at West Point believed Monken would be CPJs replacement when the time came.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Interesting old CPJ article that may speak a bit to the timing:

Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson rips coaches that leave after National Signing Day
paul-johnson.jpg

https://fanbuzz.com/college-footbal...oaches-that-leave-after-national-signing-day/
People can hate on the man for whatever reason they like, but the dude has incredible class and has constantly exhibited that he is for his players first and foremost.

I hope our next coach is good, but I doubt we'll get someone who is as good at making our athletes Tech Men.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't watched Army in a while. What has Monken done to tweak things? Looks like he's passed far less - 7.7 attempts per game, v. CPJ's 9.5 this year.
We pass more when we're down and unfortunately we had lots of passing opportunities this season.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
People can hate on the man for whatever reason they like, but the dude has incredible class and has constantly exhibited that he is for his players first and foremost.

I hope our next coach is good, but I doubt we'll get someone who is as good at making our athletes Tech Men.
I bet he winds up coaching somewhere else like East Carolina,Appalachian State,New Mexico or UNLV

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Probably accurate, but you never know.

Coach Ken has lost head to head the past few years to Monken. Monken has taken the Army program out of the ashes whereas Coach Ken was just continuing on what CPJ left behind. Monken has also proven he's willing to install non-flex option schemes into his offense.

Bohannon is a really good coach, but he's beneficiary of REALLY good local talent (think Georgia Souther in the 90's) and doesn't have recruiting restrictions. Not taking anything away, but Bohannon isn't working under the same rules as Monken and Coach Ken.

That's my thought process on my rankings. Just my humble opinion.