Paul Johnson to retire

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I have somewhat mixed feelings. After 11 years, it was getting near time for a change no matter what. Personally though, I was hoping he would coach at least one more year. I thought we had the potential for a really good season next year with a deep stable of experienced b-backs, a QB that can actually pass in LJ or JG, and second year under Woody.

My hope is that this means we already have a succession plan in place. I am hoping this has been an ongoing discussion with TS and CPJ just felt it was the right time. If not, this could be a Brian Gregory like scenario for Tech. Given the suddenness of all of this, I wonder if that means someone like Monken is in line. I could see CPJ willing to hang it up a year or two early if one of his proteges was in line next.

All I know is that I do not want a Tech grad just because he is a Tech grad (Whisenhunt, Godsey), or some retread coach that is on the hot seat at his current school. I would be fine with Monken or someone who runs the air raid like Neal Brown. Just give me someone young and exciting that has the potential to really recruit. Surround him with some older assistants if necessary like Pastner.

Whatever you think of CPJ, his legacy at Tech is unquestionably fantastic and he is leaving at the right time, even according to most detractors. His decision to retire also leaves us in great financial position. Heck, we may even be able to pay middle of the ACC money! lol.

His 2 Orange Bowls, 3 ACC title games, wins over plenty of top 15 teams and over UGA have made for a really fun ride. Thanks CPJ.!!!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We either get a retread and start all over, or a bright young coach for three years. At which point we start looking again because an ambitious coach cannot compete at the top levels of the ACC from GT. I hope for the school's sake they find a guy who is at a successful "program" now, not just a coach with a winning record and a team culture that sucks. And by the way I have no idea how a departure may be structured, but Johnson could have set the bit and forced GT to fire him for the buyout. For those who loathe the coach or the offense, try to appreciate the class he went out with.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, some of you here got your wish.

We lose a sure Hall of Fame coach who took us higher then we could have hoped for in the present environment. I doubt seriously if any replacement - except maybe Brian Bohannon - can replace Coach with the same level of success. I fear - and I'm not kidding - that we are in for the very thing many here have predicted: football irrelevancy. We had an edge and, unless we're careful, we won't very shortly.

CPJ coaching tree:

Monken > Coach Ken > Bohannon

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Haven't read through all the thread.

Appears CPJ plans to coach the Bowl Game.

“After 40 years of coaching, it’s time to take a break,” Johnson said. “My family has sacrificed a lot over the years. I want to watch my daughter [Kaitlyn, a professional opera singer] perform and do some things with my wife [Susan] that we’ve never had a chance to do. It’s been a great run for the last 11 years here on The Flats. I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished and am looking forward to having the chance to coach this team one last time at our bowl game next month.”

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I haven't watched Army in a while. What has Monken done to tweak things? Looks like he's passed far less - 7.7 attempts per game, v. CPJ's 9.5 this year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'll say this though, to follow up on my last post, I would be pretty heartbroken if he retires then comes back out of retirement and leads another team. Ugh, that would suck.

I would actually love to see CPJ do his thing at a big factory. Probably too many false narratives about the scheme and negative stigmas about it to ever happen.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched Army in a while. What has Monken done to tweak things? Looks like he's passed far less - 7.7 attempts per game, v. CPJ's 9.5 this year.

Monken tweaks heavier to his personnel. He doesn't throw at army because they really haven't needed to. At Southern when he had shaw he awas in the gun about 40 percent of the game and threw is at least 15 to 19 times a game.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Please don't leave! Yes, I'm begging like a pathetic girlfriend. And, I'm talking to two people.
I will miss the heck out of CPJ. Loved that guy. Loved our program under him. INTEGRITY, fire, smart, unique, hard-nosed, and really exciting. And, oh yeah, INTEGRITY! Hard to believe this is happening. If we get some sleazeball who puts winning and self-image over character, I will move on with my life.

1. I do hope for a CPJ-tree guy. I love this scheme and the culture of men and programs connected to it.
  2. If not #1, at least a scheme that involves the QB significantly in the run game. This is just math. 11 is more than 10. GT-folk of all people should appreciate the simple, fundamental advantage having to truly account for 11 people in the run game has for everything else about football.
  3. If not #1 or #2, I don't get the negativity toward Whisenhunt. That man can coach too. He went to (and should've won) a freakin' Superbowl in '08 and has done some very impressive things at the highest level, imo. You don't get jobs like that, and you certainly don't find that kind of success at that level if you don't bring a LOT to the table. The success or lackthereof of a football program isn't just about the HC, as we all know. The fact that he did it in Arizona which hasn't done SQUAT ever before or since him as HC speaks volumes. I like the idea of a Tech man. Him, Godsey, Key, etc (maybe on the same staff) should be given the benefit of the doubt and every chance to succeed if that occurs. I think they would have an innate desire to succeed HERE that wouldn't be true of others, they would understand the program and what it needs to succeed, respect for the Institute, and I think they would have integrity.
Back to you, @ilovetheoption , you're in about a 4 or 5-way tie for my favorite poster on the internet. You gotta stick around, you just gotta! Unless we hire someone like Lane Kiffin, in which case, you're free to go, and I'm right behind you.
This. Truth. Beautifully done.