Paul Johnson to retire

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What was Spurrier's record as a pro coach? Saban?
Both of those guys were successful in college and went to the pros. Failed and then came back to college and were successful. He has no successful track record anywhere as a head coach!

The despised Chan Gailey managed to go 7-5 . Every. Single. Year (outside of the ACCCG 2006).

I think the next coach, depending on the system he brings in, will have some personnel issues to deal with, but let's not pretend CPJ saved GT like Ross did in 1990. CPJ walked into a pretty good situation and helped take it to the next level.

GT will be fine...unless TStan hires Whisenhunt...

Agreed. We've got a potentially kickass QB with 4 years of eligibility left. That's Step 1 for any offensive scheme we roll forward with.

Next year was going to be tough anyway, with the OL losses and breaking in a new QB. Might as well break in a whole new offense!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think the biggest question of the CPJ era is: why was the defense consistently bad?

I'm tempted to chalk it up as mostly bad luck. If it's something systemic about the sort of offense he runs, we'd expect other coaches - and CPJ at other places - to be similarly bad. Is that the case?

Still, 4 defensive coordinators with zero even mediocre defenses seems to be a statistical long shot...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest question of the CPJ era is: why was the defense consistently bad?

I'm tempted to chalk it up as mostly bad luck. If it's something systemic about the sort of offense he runs, we'd expect other coaches - and CPJ at other places - to be similarly bad. Is that the case?

Still, 4 defensive coordinators with zero even mediocre defenses seems to be a statistical long shot...
Didn't he have good defenses at Georgia Southern? That's before my time, but I thought that was the case.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, some of you here got your wish.

We lose a sure Hall of Fame coach who took us higher then we could have hoped for in the present environment. I doubt seriously if any replacement - except maybe Brian Bohannon - can replace Coach with the same level of success. I fear - and I'm not kidding - that we are in for the very thing many here have predicted: football irrelevancy. We had an edge and, unless we're careful, we won't very shortly.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow

We lose a sure Hall of Fame coach who took us higher then we could have hoped for in the present environment. I doubt seriously if any replacement - except maybe Brian Bohannon - can replace Coach with the same level of success. I fear - and I'm not kidding - that we are in for the very thing many here have predicted: football irrelevancy. We had an edge and, unless we're careful, we won't very shortly.
I was with you up until Brian Bohannon.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Have fun, guys :)
Please don't leave! Yes, I'm begging like a pathetic girlfriend. And, I'm talking to two people.
I will miss the heck out of CPJ. Loved that guy. Loved our program under him. INTEGRITY, fire, smart, unique, hard-nosed, and really exciting. And, oh yeah, INTEGRITY! Hard to believe this is happening. If we get some sleazeball who puts winning and self-image over character, I will move on with my life.

1. I do hope for a CPJ-tree guy. I love this scheme and the culture of men and programs connected to it.
  2. If not #1, at least a scheme that involves the QB significantly in the run game. This is just math. 11 is more than 10. GT-folk of all people should appreciate the simple, fundamental advantage having to truly account for 11 people in the run game has for everything else about football.
  3. If not #1 or #2, I don't get the negativity toward Whisenhunt. That man can coach too. He went to (and should've won) a freakin' Superbowl in '08 and has done some very impressive things at the highest level, imo. You don't get jobs like that, and you certainly don't find that kind of success at that level if you don't bring a LOT to the table. The success or lackthereof of a football program isn't just about the HC, as we all know. The fact that he did it in Arizona which hasn't done SQUAT ever before or since him as HC speaks volumes. I like the idea of a Tech man. Him, Godsey, Key, etc (maybe on the same staff) should be given the benefit of the doubt and every chance to succeed if that occurs. I think they would have an innate desire to succeed HERE that wouldn't be true of others, they would understand the program and what it needs to succeed, respect for the Institute, and I think they would have integrity.

Back to you, @ilovetheoption , you're in about a 4 or 5-way tie for my favorite poster on the internet. You gotta stick around, you just gotta! Unless we hire someone like Lane Kiffin, in which case, you're free to go, and I'm right behind you.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Scott Satterfield,Neal Brown or Mike Houston would be better than Brian Bohannon right now. I do not want another option offense head coach.