Paul Johnson to retire

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
220px-Dontknowwhatyougot_singleart.jpg

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know who I want but I don’t want a “Tech” man. I want a guy that recruits his *** off and can hire talented coordinators and run the program like Dabo does.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't leave a coherent thought here yet, and will thus be more unleashed than I usually allow myself to be, hence bullet points.

• CPJ's consistent principles, and overall integrity, are truly inspiring, and were a perfect fit for what Tech as an institution likes to think of itself. A very rare fit indeed.
  • He is a HOF coach, fact. You do not get to have many of those for any of the sports teams you follow.
  • The UCF game this year had me beat down and momentarily indifferent to if he stayed or went. I summed it up as "he always tells me that a team improves the most between games 1 & 2 . . . but his seem to fail that test 40% of the years. I have no clue how to fairly judge a college football head coach, but he tells me that is his standard every year, so . . .".
  • The way the team rebounded and ended the season once again renewed my confidence in CPJ's stewardship. I became reasonable again, and could recall all of the institutional limitations, the disgusting nature of the sport at top 25 program level, the new defensive scheme, and injuries, etc., that objectively lowered this teams' ceiling.
Despite my momentary indifference to his continued tenure early this year I never made that public in a way that could ever get back to the program. I go punch a wall or discuss with family after a crappy loss, period.

I can't "like " this enough. Integrity and class; a perfect fit for what I want to think of at GT. A HOF coach run off because some don't like his offense because it isn't cool enough (and they don't care that it is year in/year out top 25 in efficiency in all of college football) will make our next hire extremely difficult. We don't spend money to support the coach with assistant coaches or recruiting support, we do not have majors to hide less than stellar athletes so they can stay on track for graduation, we don't have support from "the hill" or the BOR and we ran off a coach who took us to not one, but 2 Orange Bowls. A level of success not seen at GT in over 50 years.

How smart are we? Just because we aren't running the same, exciting offense everybody else does? That we now will be recruiting against for the same players? Let's see, Bubba can come to GT to play and have to take calculus of some sort, or he can go to Clemson, uGa, uNC, Fsu, Auburn, (tell me when you've heard enough) to play the same offense system that is so cool and play video games, slide down slides and get a degree in Parks and Rec while playing football. We are planning to take lower rated player than our competition and try to beat them at their own game. Does 0-7 ring a bell to anyone? Even with Gailey's all star, one time recruiting class he couldn't beat the dwags. Even with Calvin in 3 dang years, he couldn't beat the dwags.

Another thing that many may not be thinking of is that everyone who follows college football knew who GT was and what we do. I'm not a world traveler, but I have been in more than a few states and without fail, every college football fan knows that we run the triple option. Kirby told the SEC reporters for the game last week that he has a "coach" whose only job was to break down our offense after every one of our games and prep the team for us. They practice for our offense all year round and all season, just to be ready. Every team we play in the ACC Coastal is the same way; they think about us all year.

Now, we will be just like every other non-descript college team out there running the same RPO and trying to beat another team who does the same dang thing. Could be B$&@ L*^#%s all over or maybe not, but we won't be any more distinct than Wake or Arizona or Arkansas or you name it.

Last edited:

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't "like " this enough. Integrity and class; a perfect fit for what I want to think of at GT. A HOF coach run off because some don't like his offense because it isn't cool enough (and they don't care that it is year in/year out top 25 in efficiency in all of college football) will make our next hire extremely difficult. We don't spend money to support the coach with assistant coaches or recruiting support, we do not have majors to hide less than stellar athletes so they can stay on track for graduation, we don't have support from "the hill" or the BOR and we ran off a coach who took us to not one, but 2 Orange Bowls. A level of success not seem at GT in over 50 years.

How smart are we? Just because we aren't running the same, exciting offense everybody else does? That we now will be recruiting against for the same players? Let's see, Bubba can come to GT to play and have to take calculus of some sort, or he can go to Clemson, uGa, uNC, Fsu, Auburn, (tell me when you've heard enough) to play the same offense system that is so cool and play video games, slide down slides and get a degree in Parks and Rec while playing football. We are planning to take lower rated player than our competition and try to beat them at their own game. Does 0-7 ring a bell to anyone? Even with Gailey's all star, one time recruiting class he couldn't beat the dwags. Even with Calvin in 3 dang years, he couldn't beat the dwags.

Another thing that many may not be thinking of is that everyone who follows college football knew who GT was and who we were. I'm not a world traveler, but I have been in more than a few states and without fail, every college football fan knows that we run the triple option. Kirby told the SEC reporters for the game last week that he has a "coach" whose only job was to break downer offense and prep the team for us. They practice for our offense all year round and all season, just to be ready. Every team we play in the ACC Coastal is the same way; they think about us all year.

Now, we will be just like every other non-descript college team out there running the same RPO and trying to beat another team who does the same dang thing. Could be B$&@ L*^#%s all over or maybe not, but we won't be any more distinct than Wake or Arizona or Arkansas or you name it.

Great post

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think so he didn't seem like he was having fun like in the past. I think he will coach again but sometimes you just need to take a brake
I am inclined, still, toward the firing route. But regardless, your point about "having fun" is well-taken. Well, I mean, it is Paul Johnson and outwardly fun is relative. But I think certainly his demeanor was changed. Always short-wired and thin-skinned, this season he came over several times as just a jerk. Whether he is getting asked repeated or stupid questions or not, the AD does not want the head ball coach, the school's most visible representative, going bad-*** all the time. Just no excuse for it. That Johnson was not at all reticent about doing it means to me either his plans were in place or the AD, after a solid endorsement a year ago -- the peel of death tolling in the distance maybe -- and another mediocre mark finished by another rivalry blowout, and as much as the board hates Georgia, I think Smart could have named his score, and pulled the plug. That we lost ground in the ACC is not even arguable, but using just two programs tells the story: Clemson and Georgia, 2009 until 2018. Competitive and whipping Clemson, competitive and beating Georgia three times ... and then two final years of blowaways by both. Add in the shock of starting to lose regularly to UNC and Duke when both were average programs, and it will sober you up. (We will never be in the Clemson-Georgia class and I don't advocate for it. Just noting we are not even competitive any more, and the athletes there are so much better that the offensive scheme that once shielded us is not even a factor now. Good athletes defeat good schemes.

Which leaves us, of course, with that "good athlete" recruiting problem, because that "$60,000 average starting salary" ain't fooling nobody; even football players know $90,000 and a $30,000 will get you to the "average", and $30k is barely livable. Regardless, I am sorry to see him go, and I am not going to forget three wins over Georgia or the ACC championship or that dazzling runnerup to FSU and then the Orange Bowl win over an SEC power ... or the blocked kick TD miracle against FSU, or the late 4th and 15 hookup of Tbomas-Smelter against VT, or ... whine all we want, he brought us some good memories, and if he was tough on players, they graduated. (Hint on next coach maybe? What other school in the ACC with a possible HC candidate has a similar graduation mark? That would be Clemson. It would be for three, maybe two, years at the max, but ...)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Still can't believe some of you think CPJ was "secretly fired". If that was the case, he wouldn't be coaching the bowl game. You've spent 11 years with this man. You really think Paul Chip On My Shoulder I'm Smarter Than All Of You Bastards Johnson would coach one game for someone who FIRED him? He went on his own terms. Good for him.

Last edited: