Paul Johnson reveals starting lineup for Georgia Tech

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some interesting stuff there. Guessing we'll rotate LB's in and out often. Not sure what to think about the secondary. Can't tell if I should be scared because some players I wasn't confident in couldn't take the starting job or excited because young guys are starting.

Really hoping we get Kenny back soon.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
A question and a few comments.

At 6'3, is Juanyeh Thomas the tallest returner in college football?

We have a 6'4 SS and a 6'3 FS in the two-deep, that seems unique. Actually, seems like we have a lot of tall DBs compared to other teams I've looked at.

Brentavious Glanton is back in the two-deep. A 294 lbs. DE sounds nice.

BB and CB are the only positions with three players listed. Hope that speaks to the talent at those positions.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Surprised and a little baffled at the CB situation. Maybe it is a good thing. Not surprised at all at Curry and J Johnson at LB. Quinney not too surprising since Cooper is not ready and Marshall dinged up last week is probably coming back with caution. Glad to see C Clark and Connor in the two deep.

Amerson1990

Banned
Is Lamont Simmons still on the team?
Don’t understand how he’s not listed in the top 5 at Cornerback position ? Something seems fishy here....either he’s off the team or we’re loaded at CB position. Either way his career is over....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Two things stand out:
1. The defensive front seven is all 4th and 5th year players. There is no substitute for experience, and we have some depth for the first time in years.
2. How small the OL is. A small line, especially at tackle, combined with wide splits equals poor pass blocking. The low pass completion % is not all on the QB, but he will get the blame. It's inherent in this offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A question and a few comments.

At 6'3, is Juanyeh Thomas the tallest returner in college football?

We have a 6'4 SS and a 6'3 FS in the two-deep, that seems unique. Actually, seems like we have a lot of tall DBs compared to other teams I've looked at.

Brentavious Glanton is back in the two-deep. A 294 lbs. DE sounds nice.

BB and CB are the only positions with three players listed. Hope that speaks to the talent at those positions.
a big change from the austin shrimps. hope they can ball.

Deleted member 2897

Don’t forget we have like 9 guys now on defense rated 4-stars by at least 1 of the agencies. Bruce JS, Tre Swilling, Jaquan Henderson, Askew, Dingle, King, Gentry Bonds, Oliver, TK Chimedza... And some of the best athletes like Juanyeh and Tariq weren’t 4-stars somehow.

And Walker and Huff are 0.1 away in the current class. If they get a tiny bump we’ll have 11 4-stars on defense next year.

Good for Rivera to earn that job. That guy is smart as a hell too - “Graduated from Wofford in May 2018 with a bachelor’s degree as a triple-major in mathematics, finance and computer science … Is pursuing a master’s degree in quantitative and computational finance at Georgia Tech.”

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Is Lamont Simmons still on the team?
Don’t understand how he’s not listed in the top 5 at Cornerback position ? Something seems fishy here....either he’s off the team or we’re loaded at CB position. Either way his career is over....
Perhaps Woody just has a better eye for knowing who should start. Lamont always played more like a safety than a corner to me.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...neup-for-georgia-tech/kPOvVLgVmkXrEbsZCAc5nK/

Offense
The starting 11 on offense: Quarterback TaQuon Marshall, B-back Jordan Mason, A-backs Clinton Lynch and Qua Searcy, wide receivers Jalen Camp and Brad Stewart, Quinney at left tackle, left guard Parker Braun, center Jahaziel Lee, right guard Brad Morgan and right tackle Will Bryan.

Defense
The starting 11: Defensive ends Anree Saint-Amour and Desmond Branch, nose tackle Kyle Cerge-Henderson, outside linebackers Victor Alexander and Jalen Johnson, inside linebackers Brant Mitchell and David Curry, strong safety Tariq Carpenter, free safety Malik Rivera and cornerbacks Swilling and Askew.
I was looking forward to Braun & Bryan playing next to each other. What happened?

Jmonty71

Banned
Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...neup-for-georgia-tech/kPOvVLgVmkXrEbsZCAc5nK/

Offense
The starting 11 on offense: Quarterback TaQuon Marshall, B-back Jordan Mason, A-backs Clinton Lynch and Qua Searcy, wide receivers Jalen Camp and Brad Stewart, Quinney at left tackle, left guard Parker Braun, center Jahaziel Lee, right guard Brad Morgan and right tackle Will Bryan.

Defense
The starting 11: Defensive ends Anree Saint-Amour and Desmond Branch, nose tackle Kyle Cerge-Henderson, outside linebackers Victor Alexander and Jalen Johnson, inside linebackers Brant Mitchell and David Curry, strong safety Tariq Carpenter, free safety Malik Rivera and cornerbacks Swilling and Askew.
I am not a huge fan of the 3-4 style defense. But, I am willing to see how it turns out. Heck, some of the BEST defenses (of all time) were 3-4 sets. I do like the aggressive and unpredictable schemes, that I've seen from the new DC.