Patenaude talks offense for GT ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I disliked gailey due to his totally un emotional response to defeats or victory. I vowed that not say a negative thing about the coach for 5 years.
Then we got Coach and I was so elated I didnt needed the vow. Helping gt ol coach and chief recruiters ,T Spencer , got me expensivec orange bowl seats next to Dwyer s folks and coaches family. I was hooked and as soon as moved to Fla I got season tickets and went to acc champ and orange bowl.
After that the lack of solid ol play and competent passing added to other things , started to get to me. Yet after 4 bad years (14 acc wins) I still felt coach deserved another year as I believed he had made moves to make the next year better.
Well the new guy is now doing all the right things , I will not give him a blanket excuse when he makes bone head decisions.

I am expecting him to take gt to another level and will give him time. Iirc, The 14 MSU team was number 1 in nation for 5 weeks due to aggressive defense while he was dc.
He's got 4 years to have 16 acc wins and a rosy future on the horizon.

Maybe cheese and animal can be specific??

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I really really don't want to get back into the CPJ discussion, I actually left the board for a few days because IMO, it was getting cult-ish.
As for CGC, or really any coach, it's not about making a mistake, but to me it's more about progress and future of the program ... I totally agree with the about couple of posts about this staff and the direction we are heading.

Me too. I don't post or visit much anymore on the sports side of things. I am in the wait and see group as well. I like a lot of what I am hearing and it seems like there is a lot of potential, I like the coaching hires as well. My expectations are not high for the next year or two due to the transition. Smart of the AD to give a 7 year contract to help with the transition. Anything more than 6 wins for 2019 will have me thinking the coaches did a good job. If they pull out an 8 or 9 win season, I can see myself getting emotionally invested again. But as it stands my head says 6 wins each of the next 2 years and I am definitely walking away this year and giving up my season tickets after 20 years. Probably my last post as well on the sports forum for 2019.

Hoping I am completely wrong and you guys have a great season. Good Luck!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Iirc, The 14 MSU team was number 1 in nation for 5 weeks due to aggressive defense while he was dc.

The 2014 MSU D was 20th in DFEI and 22nd in Def S&P. That was a stout defense, which made our destruction of it in the OB even more amazing.

The only knock on that D was CGCs 1a/1b substitutions. IIRC, a lot of MSU fans felt like taking players out of the game constantly led to some lapses, and had he leaned a little harder on the true starters, the D would have been even better.

For a GT fan, those are problems I am willing to deal with if it buys top 20 D's.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Me too. I don't post or visit much anymore on the sports side of things. I am in the wait and see group as well. I like a lot of what I am hearing and it seems like there is a lot of potential, I like the coaching hires as well. My expectations are not high for the next year or two due to the transition. Smart of the AD to give a 7 year contract to help with the transition. Anything more than 6 wins for 2019 will have me thinking the coaches did a good job. If they pull out an 8 or 9 win season, I can see myself getting emotionally invested again. But as it stands my head says 6 wins each of the next 2 years and I am definitely walking away this year and giving up my season tickets after 20 years. Probably my last post as well on the sports forum for 2019.

It's your prerogative to do what you wanna do, but I don't get this attitude at all. You are expecting 6 wins and giving up your season tickets because of it? I mean, we averaged 6 wins the last 2 seasons and that didn't cause you to lose interest? 3-9 a few years back didn't do it? But this does? I mean, yeah, it's your right to feel however you wanna feel, but I don't get it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Good luck with your rest period.
Hope u post again as there are a lot of frequent posters aren't season ticket holders.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 MSU D was 20th in DFEI and 22nd in Def S&P. That was a stout defense, which made our destruction of it in the OB even more amazing.

The only knock on that D was CGCs 1a/1b substitutions. IIRC, a lot of MSU fans felt like taking players out of the game constantly led to some lapses, and had he leaned a little harder on the true starters, the D would have been even better.

For a GT fan, those are problems I am willing to deal with if it buys top 20 D's.
GC quit dec 16 and mullens did not step in. He had db coach call plays against a great 3 option team and a great Coach. At the end when se were destroying them , coach went to strong line formations. Once the All American lb was waving Help Help- I looking at c g g t that averages 340# with no help. Great day for gt.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
“What can your quarterback do? Who’s that quarterback going to be? What can he do? Can he run? Can he throw? Can he do both?” Patenaude asked. “And then just making all of that stuff fit. The option piece of it is something that makes an offense electric.”

Music to my ears! GT is a place where our best years have come when we've had a true Dual Threat QB. The option levels the playing field for teams like GT.

Not sure why so many have been hesitant with Patenaude. The guy has broken records everywhere he's gone, and has VERY good offenses once he's gotten his guys into his system. He's also open to incorporating new schemes and keeping DCs guessing.

I for one am excited to see how our guys will be used in CDP's offense. Gonna be fun to watch our QBs sling the ball all over the field, and see LBs and DBs chase them one no one is open.
YES!!!!! I'm super pumped now!!!

GT_EE78

Banned
WOW!! A positive thread for a change!
(Only 8 responses so far, however!!)
Guess it won't take long for the Negative Nelly's to show up to "bad mouth" Coach P.!
To me, he seems like the right fit for our changing dynamics.
aw shucks, there ain't no negative nellies coming. We can all be rah rahs for now
well- at least until the clemson game
or .... maybe spring practice
or .... maybe if there's another interview

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nope. 5 years is a lifetime in college sports....if he isn't showing by year 3, he will not see five.

Define showing? 7 wins? Lol. Cuz if he goes 6 wins. 7. Then 8. Avg of 7 after 3 years he will be here.

Unless. That is showing based on the gt standard. But i don't know what u mean by showing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nope. 5 years is a lifetime in college sports....if he isn't showing by year 3, he will not see five.

I say this OC has 2 years to show he can put together an offense that is starting to look like one that can beat pretty good .talent.
For HC at end of 4 years with out 16 acc wins and looking good for 15 - animal has my vote.
Like any good architect he is hard to pin down on numbers.

Animal02

Banned
Define showing? 7 wins? Lol. Cuz if he goes 6 wins. 7. Then 8. Avg of 7 after 3 years he will be here.

Unless. That is showing based on the gt standard. But i don't know what u mean by showing.
Showing was what the previous poster used. I agree, if he has the wins(even one or two less, but showing improvement) he will be here at least 5. Stay under .500 his first three, he had better win the ACC or he will be out the door.