Patenaude talks offense for GT ...

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
There always has to be one

Yes, being cautiously optimistic is a terrible thing and should be condemned. Heaven forbid he/she wait to see results before completely buying in.

I don't care if you are 100% bought in already for CGC or not. We shouldn't be dumping on our fans who are reserving judgement until they see results. Likewise, we shouldn't dump on fans who are excited about the new hires. The contention that has been going on in the fan base recently is absurd. You can enjoy what CGC and his staff have been doing without dumping on the previous coaching staff. You can also appreciate what the previous coaching staff did without degrading the work of the new coaching staff. If you are cautiously optimistic about the new staff and it doesn't mean you hate the work they have done, just as if you are overwhelmingly encouraged by the new staff it doesn't mean you hated the work of the old staff.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yes, being cautiously optimistic is a terrible thing and should be condemned. Heaven forbid he/she wait to see results before completely buying in.

I don't care if you are 100% bought in already for CGC or not. We shouldn't be dumping on our fans who are reserving judgement until they see results. Likewise, we shouldn't dump on fans who are excited about the new hires. The contention that has been going on in the fan base recently is absurd. You can enjoy what CGC and his staff have been doing without dumping on the previous coaching staff. You can also appreciate what the previous coaching staff did without degrading the work of the new coaching staff. If you are cautiously optimistic about the new staff and it doesn't mean you hate the work they have done, just as if you are overwhelmingly encouraged by the new staff it doesn't mean you hated the work of the old staff.
Okay. Let’s look at this critically. Our new OC has had record breaking offensive output at his earlier stops. He has run the offense differently depending on the talent on hand. He says he will evaluate the players at his disposal and design the offense accordingly. That’s it. He hasn’t promised we will be good. He hasn’t predicted Ppg or anything like that. All we know is he has said he will be flexible based on the players. So just what would you be “cautiously optimistic” about? They he will design around the players? So he’s lying? I get your point about being cautious about predicting results but too many people won’t even accept what the coaches say they are planning to do at face value.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Has a lot of coaching experience, nearly 3 decades. Seems to have moved around a good bit which probably necessitates being a bit flexible with schemes and personnel. Should benefit him this year.

Will be interesting to see the O evolve once he’s a bit more established here. I suspect we will have a good feel for his personal preferences in philosophies then. Most coaches settle into some. Maybe those that have more knowledge have further insight into his.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay. Let’s look at this critically. Our new OC has had record breaking offensive output at his earlier stops. He has run the offense differently depending on the talent on hand. He says he will evaluate the players at his disposal and design the offense accordingly. That’s it. He hasn’t promised we will be good. He hasn’t predicted Ppg or anything like that. All we know is he has said he will be flexible based on the players. So just what would you be “cautiously optimistic” about? They he will design around the players? So he’s lying? I get your point about being cautious about predicting results but too many people won’t even accept what the coaches say they are planning to do at face value.

You complained that a poster who was excited about what the OC said took a wait and see approach regarding whether it would result in on field success. I was simply pointing out that many fans are dumping on these fans who take a wait and see approach because they think they are negative Nancy's for not buying into the hype.

No, the OC didnt promise anything but why cant a fan wait to see what happens without having other fans jump down their throat.

As I said before I also dont think these wait and see fans should try to rain on the parade of anyone who is hyped about the new staff.

There is so much animosity between sides that it is frustrating to be a fan right now.

Animal02

Banned
You complained that a poster who was excited about what the OC said took a wait and see approach regarding whether it would result in on field success. I was simply pointing out that many fans are dumping on these fans who take a wait and see approach because they think they are negative Nancy's for not buying into the hype.

No, the OC didnt promise anything but why cant a fan wait to see what happens without having other fans jump down their throat.

As I said before I also dont think these wait and see fans should try to rain on the parade of anyone who is hyped about the new staff.

There is so much animosity between sides that it is frustrating to be a fan right now.
For the most part, the one that are jumping on the "wait and see" crowd are the same ones that have crapped on the program and fans for the last several years.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
WOW!! A positive thread for a change!
(Only 8 responses so far, however!!)
Guess it won't take long for the Negative Nelly's to show up to "bad mouth" Coach P.!
To me, he seems like the right fit for our changing dynamics.

Well, if you keep baiting them, of course they will. Lol

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I've only seen a little Temple offense from this year but from what I saw they ran what Coach Johnson calls the NCAA offense. They are pretty much a zone blocking team with the qb read and the RPOs off the same action. It pretty much amounts to a form of triple option. I like his ability to be able to run the ball more as he gets things established.

That is not necessarilly a bad thing but instead of an opponent having to prepare completely differently, like they've had to do for the last 11 years, they may have 6 or 8 games where they play similar offenses to ours. That's okay if we can consistently recruit players who are a step above what we've had. I'd be as happy as a pig in slop if that were to happen!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When the Triple Option is clicking it is a thing of beauty. Last week I watched (for maybe the 10th time) the 2014 Orange Bowl game. That game was simply wonderful for our offense. That said, we were always in a uphill battle with recruiting. I am happy to see us moving to an offense where more high school kids will at least be open to Tech as their destination of choice.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not having mobile qb’s hurt his offense at Temple. He has a spread offense for the most part. Temple fans were upset that Coach Pat moves the offense away from a “pro style” base to the spread.

I don’t think he’ll have that as a concern at GT.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

Well said !!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
here is something good him and CBK have to work with good start

CFB Focus ‏ @cffmwachsman Jan 23
CFB TOP RETURNEES 2019
OG
1 Parker Braun/GeorgiaTech
2 Darryl Williams/Mississippi State
3 Luke Wattenberg/Washington
4 Dustin Woodard/Memphis
5 Ben Cleveland/UGA
6 Shane Lemieux/Oregon
7 Alex Leatherwood/Alabama
8 Jack Anderson/TexasTech
9 Chris Murray/UCLA
10 William Barnes/UNC

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
This is going to sound very strange, but I promise it is a genuine question. I truly started watching Tech football in 08 when CPJ came. So his in-game structure is all I'm used to.

On the new staff, how does it work? Will GCG call any defensive plays or is that Thacker? On O will it be Pat? Or Key? I know Key is "run-game coordinator" so does Pat call pass plays and Key run?

If Collins isn't calling any plays what is he doing the entire game?

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I've only seen a little Temple offense from this year but from what I saw they ran what Coach Johnson calls the NCAA offense. They are pretty much a zone blocking team with the qb read and the RPOs off the same action. It pretty much amounts to a form of triple option. I like his ability to be able to run the ball more as he gets things established.

That is not necessarilly a bad thing but instead of an opponent having to prepare completely differently, like they've had to do for the last 11 years, they may have 6 or 8 games where they play similar offenses to ours. That's okay if we can consistently recruit players who are a step above what we've had. I'd be as happy as a pig in slop if that were to happen!

Recall that at Temple he was only there 2 years and was using a lot of personnel from the previous regime which was RPO. Take a look at his offenses at Coastal Carolina

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is going to sound very strange, but I promise it is a genuine question. I truly started watching Tech football in 08 when CPJ came. So his in-game structure is all I'm used to.

On the new staff, how does it work? Will GCG call any defensive plays or is that Thacker? On O will it be Pat? Or Key? I know Key is "run-game coordinator" so does Pat call pass plays and Key run?

Typically head coaches are listening on the headset to the off and def calls being made and may override with his own decisions at critical moments

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I believe Patenaude will call all of the plays in-game. Key just needed a Coordinator title to justify leaving Bama. I'm sure he will work on run game strategies with Coach P. during the week.

Collins will do what every head coach except CPJ does ! lol He is overseeing the entire game, managing the clock, timeouts, making all of the 4th down decisions, etc. and of course will have veto power on play calls as mentioned above if he sees certain tendencies.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Preach on!!!

A voice of reason!!!!