Patenaude talks offense for GT ...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Okay. Let’s look at this critically. Our new OC has had record breaking offensive output at his earlier stops. He has run the offense differently depending on the talent on hand. He says he will evaluate the players at his disposal and design the offense accordingly. That’s it. He hasn’t promised we will be good. He hasn’t predicted Ppg or anything like that. All we know is he has said he will be flexible based on the players. So just what would you be “cautiously optimistic” about? They he will design around the players? So he’s lying? I get your point about being cautious about predicting results but too many people won’t even accept what the coaches say they are planning to do at face value.

Crazy example...
Design your offense with say Grayson High School's players.
Now take that team and have them face the NFL'S Cleveland Brown Defense...
How well do you think that they will perform? Even with an offense designed around their ability.

I think the reservations revolve around seeing results.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, being cautiously optimistic is a terrible thing and should be condemned. Heaven forbid he/she wait to see results before completely buying in.

I don't care if you are 100% bought in already for CGC or not. We shouldn't be dumping on our fans who are reserving judgement until they see results. Likewise, we shouldn't dump on fans who are excited about the new hires. The contention that has been going on in the fan base recently is absurd. You can enjoy what CGC and his staff have been doing without dumping on the previous coaching staff. You can also appreciate what the previous coaching staff did without degrading the work of the new coaching staff. If you are cautiously optimistic about the new staff and it doesn't mean you hate the work they have done, just as if you are overwhelmingly encouraged by the new staff it doesn't mean you hated the work of the old staff.
There are now several posts with this theme, which I believe is spot on. Disappointing that they don't seem to be getting much traction. Experience matters.....a LOT. A lot of posters have seen many staff turnovers and some worked out famously like CBR (MNC) and CPJ (Orange Bowls, success in Athens, ACC Championships, and multiple COTY awards), and a lot of them didn't work out at all, but they ALL generated enthusiasm and excitement, until they didn't. So, why would posters who have only experienced CPJ and maybe CCG, diss posters who have seen all the changes since Dodd? Has the pitiful discourse in Washington infected msg brds too?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Crazy example...
How well do you think that they will perform? Even with an offense designed around their ability.

Which I said I understood. My point was that we also have people making claims of what the offense will look like and who have already decided it will be pro style (whatever that is) or rpo or whatever else they think. The coaches are saying they will run what we are best suited to run and some are doubting that. We may suck no matter what we run if our talent doesn’t measure up but these coaches have been around and are willing to adapt. Btw before someone takes this as a shot at Johnson you will have to look long and hard to find anything I have said negative about a Paul or his offense with the one exception that in those years/games when we couldn’t pass we were dead in the water.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm just going to go ahead and say it out loud ... I am over-the-top 100% bought in already for CGC !!
Crazy example...

I agree with the concluision about results but come at it differently

We have a YOUNG staff thats a in general a 2 way mix.
Some guys have been at power 5 and NFL - they know what reall talent looks and plays like.
Some are from G5 teams and lower and are used to blending average skill players into an offense that fits thier skill sets.

Hopefully this blend WORKS TOGETHER to put the best players into a scheme ( O &D) that will work well against better teams (Clemson and uga).
Feeling better each week but
"Will Wait to See".

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
One last point. For those who are “cautiously optimistic”, if you are talking about the next year or two I totally get it. No idea how the transition will go. But I am thinking longer term and am very excited about what this staff brings to the table and am optimistic about our future.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it out loud ... I am over-the-top 100% bought in already for CGC !!
That's fine. We should all be 100% behind him. But will you still be 100% behind him when he makes a mistake, which he inevitably will, because ALL coaches make mistakes. Way too many deserted CPJ because of mistakes he made. Sadly I expect those same people will desert CGC at some point too for the same reasons.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
That's fine. We should all be 100% behind him. But will you still be 100% behind him when he makes a mistake, which he inevitably will, because ALL coaches make mistakes. Way too many deserted CPJ because of mistakes he made. Sadly I expect those same people will desert CGC at some point too for the same reasons.

I really really don't want to get back into the CPJ discussion, I actually left the board for a few days because IMO, it was getting cult-ish.
As for CGC, or really any coach, it's not about making a mistake, but to me it's more about progress and future of the program ... I totally agree with the about couple of posts about this staff and the direction we are heading.

Animal02

Banned
One last point. For those who are “cautiously optimistic”, if you are talking about the next year or two I totally get it. No idea how the transition will go. But I am thinking longer term and am very excited about what this staff brings to the table and am optimistic about our future.
I, for one am skeptically optimistic for the long term, until they show consistent results on the field. Right now, all they are is talk, and talk is cheap.
You claim basketball is different than football, but they are more similar than not.....in fact BB has less issues wrt recruiting etc. Three years in, not much has changed and the usual type characters are already asking when his contract is up, looking for a way out etc.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

True, Super, and mostly because many of these folks hated his offense and/or his personality, and that both of these things "handicapped" recruiting. But, I really think it mainly came down to they hated his offense most of all. I also think there was enough evidence that his O did hurt the D recruiting a little more than we may have thought in the beginning.

But, all of this will be moot if the new staff cannot do both, recruit at an historical high level for GT and play-call/strategize with significant innovation. I am rooting for the new staff. They are my team's coaches, so now they are my coaches (in a round about kind of way :) )

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

I opined in a separate earlier thread (can’t remember which one) about 2 or 3 weeks ago that CGC needs a minimum of 5 years to show what he can do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I opined in a separate earlier thread (can’t remember which one) about 2 or 3 weeks ago that CGC needs a minimum of 5 years to show what he can do.

Usually by the 3rd year you can tell the direction of the program. The vast majority of the roster will be the current coaches, and good coaches will make the talent on hand work. By the 5th year, GT program should be established (or not).

I wrote in another thread that from Ross on (excluding dipstick BL), every coach went to the ACCCG or won the ACC by their 4-5th years. I expect the same from CGC.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
here is something good him and CBK have to work with good start

CFB Focus ‏ @cffmwachsman Jan 23
CFB TOP RETURNEES 2019
OG
1 Parker Braun/GeorgiaTech
2 Darryl Williams/Mississippi State
3 Luke Wattenberg/Washington
4 Dustin Woodard/Memphis
5 Ben Cleveland/UGA
6 Shane Lemieux/Oregon
7 Alex Leatherwood/Alabama
8 Jack Anderson/TexasTech
9 Chris Murray/UCLA
10 William Barnes/UNC

I see an offense designed to run behind Parker Braun...

I really really don't want to get back into the CPJ discussion, I actually left the board for a few days because IMO, it was getting cult-ish.
As for CGC, or really any coach, it's not about making a mistake, but to me it's more about progress and future of the program ... I totally agree with the about couple of posts about this staff and the direction we are heading.
Not trying to get back into any kind of CPJ discussion, but the fact is that fans are fickle, and they can turn on a coach in a heartbeat. We will see who the TRUE fans are when CCG does make a mistake, which, as all coaches do, he inevitably will. He has my 100% support PERIOD.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Demand perfection! Accept nothing less!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We all know you'd ball up in the fetal position and cry for God to take the pain away in your cold heart if the Mrs ever left.

tenor.gif