Pastner wanting ugag transfer

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Happiest guy in the room is Moses Wright, who gets to stay at the 4 instead of having to play out of position.

On defense his addition of Howard is a sure positive. He is big enough to establish position in the paint which means we won't get summarily backed down for high percentage shots by opposing offensive post players. He can also establish rebounding position. He needs to be a dedicated rebounder. He may also be able to provide help defense against the drive so that our perimeter players can continue to hedge against the three (But I wouldn't be surprised if Gigiberia is just as good if not a better weak side defender/shot blocker).

The other thing that he should be capable of doing well is being a solid screener. Howard will absolutely not draw post defenders out of the paint or draw double teams in the paint. That means he will not be a trigger man like Lammers was. Therefore, we will have to run the offense like we did at the end of last year where we free up the guards at the top with screens. Howard has the size to be good at this.

His Free Throw shooting will be a substantial liability at the ends of games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of offensive-defensive switching with Gigiberia at the ends of games.

If he dedicates himself to being an excellent rebounder and screen-setter then he will be a net positive.
He won’t be eligible till next year though, right?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Supposedly, the the proposed "One Free Transfer" for every player-rule is likely to be ratified for this year's transfers. Anybody know when the final vote on that is going to take place?

If for some reason, the rule does not pass, then Howard will have to sit a year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was originally supposed to be voted on this Spring. Not sure that is going to happen now.

one issue they hadn't resolved with it the last time I read about it is whether it would go into effect immediately or be phased in at a future date.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think the effect of COVID-19 is going to have some positive effect on this issue. They are going to have to figure out the "how do we give kids an extra year" question and they are going to DEFINITELY have kids who want to come back but don't have a role on the team to come back to.
  • Think about the QB who has a young stud behind him.
  • Or the One and Done kids who want to come play a year of basketball but don't want to sit behind a now 5th or 6th year senior
I think they are going to HAVE to address the ability of kids to move penalty free because of all the complexity and it doesn't make sense that they would hash out a partial solution for this.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the effect of COVID-19 is going to have some positive effect on this issue. They are going to have to figure out the "how do we give kids an extra year" question and they are going to DEFINITELY have kids who want to come back but don't have a role on the team to come back to.
  • Think about the QB who has a young stud behind him.
  • Or the One and Done kids who want to come play a year of basketball but don't want to sit behind a now 5th or 6th year senior
I think they are going to HAVE to address the ability of kids to move penalty free because of all the complexity and it doesn't make sense that they would hash out a partial solution for this.
The answer for this is pretty simple. They are not going to approve of the extra year for winter sports.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Idk where to put this, but I just saw Toppin declared for draft so i checked his recruiting pages. He was not rated or 0star by both rivals and 247.. missed that one...says uga offered him though

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Idk where to put this, but I just saw Toppin declared for draft so i checked his recruiting pages. He was not rated or 0star by both rivals and 247.. missed that one...says uga offered him though

no offers out of HS so...
Toppin opted to enroll at Mt. Zion Preparatory School in Baltimore, Maryland for a postgraduate year. He averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists and also grew four inches to 6'9.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for a GRAD transfer big man that really could be a solid factor in the middle.Now we have 3 wishing/hoping types at best probably..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for a GRAD transfer big man that really could be a solid factor in the middle.Now we have 3 wishing/hoping types at best probably..

You have actual specific individuals or just the unicorn in your head that you were hoping for?

bos

Helluva Engineer

If you check the transfer portal and filter by immediate eligibility you'll see there are only 2 PF/C available. Pastner still has 2 spots available if something opens up, but at this point it's unlikely they will get a big that can contribute right away. Best case scenario is one of the new guys comes in balling.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You have actual specific individuals or just the unicorn in your head that you were hoping for?

Geesh, like its my fault that we need a big man and none are available--I was also hoping that we wouldn't have a coach fired, no embarrassment from a law suit and ,last but not least , PROBATION,etc --oh, if we didn't have these things maybe I wouldn't have to wish for a better big and a tourney bid now

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Geesh, like its my fault that we need a big man and none are available--I was also hoping that we wouldn't have a coach fired, no embarrassment from a law suit and ,last but not least , PROBATION,etc --oh, if we didn't have these things maybe I wouldn't have to wish for a better big and a tourney bid now

No, but what is your fault is hoping for us to land something that isn't there while simultaneously downplaying what we are bring in just to further your doom and gloom outlook. We're bringing in a top 100 7 footer in Gigiberia and Howard is 6-11, 245 and similarly rated to Lammers. We have a big man coach who has proven time and time again to be able to develop bigs, especially defensively, having our center on the all defensive team all four years, with neither of them having done much prior to their time working with him.