Pastner wanting ugag transfer

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rodney Howard may possibly make the COFH switch to GT

Saw something about that. Not sure why we want to take a bigger post project than Saba.

Also, we're gonna show some interest in O'Connell.

Honestly, I'd take a pass on both. Not sure either upgrades our talent for next year and I already think we should be more focused on talent acquisition in 2021.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Several quotes in the full article

“I’ve talked to coach Pastner every day since I’ve been in the portal,” Howard told the AJC Sunday evening.
Howard said that he has heard from about 15-20 schools. Besides Tech, Cincinnati and College of Charleston are two that he has been in contact with. He said that he was to talk with Louisville in the coming days.
Tech has Howard’s interest. He called assistant coach Eric Reveno, in charge of Tech’s post players, “one of the best big-man coaches in the country.” His familiarity with Tech is another plus. He also likes the level of involvement for its post players in the offense.

“They’ve got a pretty good plan for me if I decide to go,” he said. “They feel like they can help me improve my game in a lot of areas.”

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, but does Rodney Howard help us next season? Wouldn't he have to sit a year ? We need a big man right away. Since the proximity is practically across the street I would think he'd have a hard time getting a waiver even for family medical reasons. IJS.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw something about that. Not sure why we want to take a bigger post project than Saba.

Also, we're gonna show some interest in O'Connell.

Honestly, I'd take a pass on both. Not sure either upgrades our talent for next year and I already think we should be more focused on talent acquisition in 2021.
He’s a “sit one, play 3” correct? I don’t know what the coaches know, but he could be really good long term.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He could be... if his hands have improved to the point where he can rebound consistently.
If Reveno is excited about this kid, I would trust his judgement. Also, it feels like the NCAA is going to approve the one-time transfer rule. I wish they would go ahead and do something now so these kids know what their status will be next season. There are enough unknowns about 2020 already.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
He could be... if his hands have improved to the point where he can rebound consistently.
I saw a highlight video of him from high school and honestly, it was not very inspiring. He finished below the rim the whole video and his free throws make Ish look like Mark Price.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I saw a highlight video of him from high school and honestly, it was not very inspiring. He finished below the rim the whole video and his free throws make Ish look like Mark Price.

Yeah, I think we all kinda recognize he's certainly a developmental prospect. Good for the kid for recognizing nothing substantive was gonna happen for him with that staff in Athens.

Like dt, I'd prefer we got a ready-made guy but this is where we are right now.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
The AJC article about Pastner says they are in contact with between 10 and 50 players. If this guy is 1 of 10 I am worried. If he is 1 of 50 I am not worried.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hard pass on the UGA kid. I want someone that coming to contribute this year in the post and on the perimeter. If we getting a kid via transfer to sit a year I prefer it be a PG to ride over for Jose. With a quality bit this year we can bring the Fr big along slowly and possibly redshirt Meka.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Rodney Howard is so bad offensively you don't even want him on that side of the floor. If he hits the rim on his free throws, it's a success. He'll only hit 1 out of 4.

I'm sure Reveno can help his game out. However, he's a guy you bring in because big bodies are hard to find and you hope he can make a defensive/rebounding impact.

Still not liking the fact that this time last year he choose UGA over GT. Unfortunately the transfer market is very low on the big guys so he may end up here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rodney Howard is so bad offensively you don't even want him on that side of the floor. If he hits the rim on his free throws, it's a success. He'll only hit 1 out of 4.

I'm sure Reveno can help his game out. However, he's a guy you bring in because big bodies are hard to find and you hope he can make a defensive/rebounding impact.

Still not liking the fact that this time last year he choose UGA over GT.

Yeah, that's the only red(ish) flag for me. Like, what TF did you think was gonna happen if you went there, dude?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This is the quote that stood out for me:

“I’ve been through this process more than one time,” Howard said. “You can’t sell me on facilities. You can’t sell me on any of that. It’s what you can do for me to make me a better player, a better version of me.”

So Crean didn't tell him about Wade and Oladipo?
I’m sure Dan McDonald on the rivals site would love this. Lol

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would have no problem passing on Howard. He is definitely a developmental prospect. He will not help next season.

He is a classic old school center in terms of having height and size. But he is a below the rim player (not athletic) and has poor hands.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Poor hands doesn't really work well for the way we use the Center on the offensive end. That is a big limitation for a basketball player.

I thought the entire point of the transfer market was to plug the whole at the 5 for THIS coming season? Even if this player did get a waiver, is he any more ready to help than Gigiberia or Meka?

And, why take a deep project when we have been receiving visits from much more versatile bigs from the class of 2021 (Mutombo, Mutombo, Kojenets, Butler)?

slugboy

Staff member
If Reveno is excited about this kid, I would trust his judgement. Also, it feels like the NCAA is going to approve the one-time transfer rule. I wish they would go ahead and do something now so these kids know what their status will be next season. There are enough unknowns about 2020 already.

I thought the same on Didenko last year. It was a lean year for us, but that really did not pan out even as a developmental take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk