Pastner wanting ugag transfer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If the transfer rule is adopted to allow a one time transfer with immediate eligibility, the coaches that only play 7 will lose guys every year. It can pressure coaches to go to a deeper bench rotation to keep kids engaged in the program. That is assuming they would want to keep them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Although Howard would never be my 1st choice as a transfer big, I am reasonably happy with this. It is possible the NCAA will make 1st time transfers eligible immediately, but either way he looks like a guy who can give us some minutes at the 5. I agree. These are not likely to be great minutes at first, but he should be better in 2020 than he was in 2019. Especially with Reveno pushing and teaching him.

I wasn't impressed with Howard's HS video on the offensive side, but one thing that did stand out is he is VERY quick within 3-5 feet of the basket defensively. His reaction time to shots around the rim is pretty impressive, and he has a very powerful build. He is going to be defensive presence down low...I am comfortable with that prediction given that the guy coaching him is Reveno, and the defensive track record of our centers the last 4 years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. A solid, established post man and a strong wing shooter could make our team look very formidable, so I'm not sure why we insist on going after project after project, it's just annoying. Certainly, we have Moses Wright, and I love Moses and have loved his progression, but then we have an Evan Cole, a Didenko, a Ogbonda, a Sjolund. I hope Pastner makes me eat crow and Howard is fantastic for us, but I think we still need to get 1-2 more established transfer players.

First off Ogbonda was a holdover from the previous staff so I wouldn't really hold that against the staff.

Second, I think you're very quick to slap the project label on any player who doesn't come into college ready to play as a freshman. Moses was a project for sure. Completely unranked by 247 with no real other notable offers, at least until very late in the process. Cole, Didenko, and probably Price could be seen as project type players because both were more likely than not going to be mid major type players that we took a chance on. Sjolund, however, was ranked 208th by 247 composite and 171st by their own ranking. That isn't a project take just because he needs a year or two to adjust and develop. Likewise, Howard was ranked in the mid 200s (similar to Lammers) and was on the radar of high majors as early as his sophomore year. He was committed to Ole Miss I believe as a junior. That isn't a project, at least not how it is usually used.

And before people mention freshman year stats here are some other freshman year stats.

James Banks - 12.4 mpg, 1.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.2 bpg
Ben Lammers - 5 mpg, 1.2 ppg, 1.5 rebs, .2 bpg
Daniel Miller - 25.7 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 5 rpg, 2.2 bpg

Miller's the only one with any notable stats and that was more because he got to play, and even then that was after a redshirt year. It's also not just us, there are numerous examples of players like that who had very unimpressive freshman years and developed into really good to great players. And most of them weren't project players. They just needed time to develop.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Lammers, Banks and Wright are good examples of Rev's work -- but what about Abdoulaye Gueye? As someone said, each of the first three had a great base, but Rev took AG and made him into a serviceable ACC player.

I trust the staff here. Plus, if he can play D, he fill s a big need. Remember, the identity of this team has always been its defense. I am sure we would rather have Moses at the 5, but as we saw last year, once we do that (and would sit Banks), teams go to work in the paint against us. This gives us a defensive option down there at least.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lammers, Banks and Wright are good examples of Rev's work -- but what about Abdoulaye Gueye? As someone said, each of the first three had a great base, but Rev took AG and made him into a serviceable ACC player.

I trust the staff here. Plus, if he can play D, he fill s a big need. Remember, the identity of this team has always been its defense. I am sure we would rather have Moses at the 5, but as we saw last year, once we do that (and would sit Banks), teams go to work in the paint against us. This gives us a defensive option down there at least.

Wright at the 5 scares me...not so much because he's not the defensive presence Banks/Lammers is, but putting him at the 5 could result in getting him in foul trouble...which hurts our offense. Wright, IMO, is more important to us on the offensive end than defensive end.

Howard, and I'm projecting a bit here, will help eat minutes and fouls on the defensive end...but he'll also give us a legit defender at the center position.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I think its just the opportunity we have. And the returning players we have if we cant get a couple good transfers its not a good look on Joshs recruiting prowess. Hopefully he gets a couple and this is a moot point

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think this has to do more with what we want to do on D than it does on O. We made our bones the last few years having imposing size down low to block and alter shots at the rim. Howard, should be able to do that.

Plus psychologically this could help us show ATL kids that our development of bigs is superior to UGA which should help in recruiting the state and even the SE. Coach Rev knows his stuff, and if he wants him then I am glad to have him aboard.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I want a wing preferably a 3, that can stroke it a little bit and open up the court. I would take Oconnel and i dont know who else rlly fits this mold.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
this makes me more comfortable starting saba- cause now we have a legit backup or vice/versa.
con-- guess this means kai soto is out of the picture for us

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Does this mean that Sotto is no longer an option? I read something recently that he may sit out a year and prepare for the NBA anyways.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not excited, but as others have said, Coach Rev has been very good with big men. Howard has size and height - that is a starting point. He actually needs to condition up and become skilled as well.
Biggest concern for next year is not even whether he is able to play, it is how much time does Rev get with him. At this point we don't know if there will be a season, at what point will players be allowed back on campus. Until then we are simply in a holding pattern.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The last basketball player who transferred to GT from UGA was Daniel Miller.
His family is a legacy family at UGA. When Mark Fox got the job there Miller had signed in the that recruiting cycle. Fox told him he didn't think he was an SEC level player and would help him transfer. So he ended up committing to GT and UGA approved a waiver for him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I am optimistic that Howard said he wants to come here to be an “elite motor guy” focused on going rim to rim and that CJP has a plan to get him there.

Seems like he is self aware and hopefully dedicated himself to improving his conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Happiest guy in the room is Moses Wright, who gets to stay at the 4 instead of having to play out of position.

On defense his addition of Howard is a sure positive. He is big enough to establish position in the paint which means we won't get summarily backed down for high percentage shots by opposing offensive post players. He can also establish rebounding position. He needs to be a dedicated rebounder. He may also be able to provide help defense against the drive so that our perimeter players can continue to hedge against the three (But I wouldn't be surprised if Gigiberia is just as good if not a better weak side defender/shot blocker).

The other thing that he should be capable of doing well is being a solid screener. Howard will absolutely not draw post defenders out of the paint or draw double teams in the paint. That means he will not be a trigger man like Lammers was. Therefore, we will have to run the offense like we did at the end of last year where we free up the guards at the top with screens. Howard has the size to be good at this.

His Free Throw shooting will be a substantial liability at the ends of games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of offensive-defensive switching with Gigiberia at the ends of games.

If he dedicates himself to being an excellent rebounder and screen-setter then he will be a net positive.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Happiest guy in the room is Moses Wright, who gets to stay at the 4 instead of having to play out of position.

On defense his addition of Howard is a sure positive. He is big enough to establish position in the paint which means we won't get summarily backed down for high percentage shots by opposing offensive post players. He can also establish rebounding position. He needs to be a dedicated rebounder. He may also be able to provide help defense against the drive so that our perimeter players can continue to hedge against the three (But I wouldn't be surprised if Gigiberia is just as good if not a better weak side defender/shot blocker).

The other thing that he should be capable of doing well is being a solid screener. Howard will absolutely not draw post defenders out of the paint or draw double teams in the paint. That means he will not be a trigger man like Lammers was. Therefore, we will have to run the offense like we did at the end of last year where we free up the guards at the top with screens. Howard has the size to be good at this.

His Free Throw shooting will be a substantial liability at the ends of games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of offensive-defensive switching with Gigiberia at the ends of games.

If he dedicates himself to being an excellent rebounder and screen-setter then he will be a net positive.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Frankly, given the skill set of our back court I like running the offense through them as opposed to through the post anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk