Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Ron’s attorney withdrawing from the case is a very big deal. Paul Gattone is not a high profile attorney but he looks like he knows his way around a courtroom. He most likely took the case on a contingency basis. That means he isn’t paid anything up front but collects a percentage of any recovery from the counterclaim that CJP raped and attacked JP. If JP and RB don’t collect than the attorney doesn’t get paid and attorneys (obviously) hate that. Some cases come together while others fall apart. If I’m representing someone on a contingency basis and the case falls apart I withdraw ASAP.

Gattone didn’t just withdraw; he accused his clients of lying about the evidence they had and refusing to cooperate. What this means is that RB and JP will have a really rough time getting new counsel. Everyone in the Pima County legal community knows about the case – it’s high profile - and gossips about it. (How do I know this? Because all courthouses are like this. Attorneys are the worst gossips you’ve ever seen). The Defendants will never get any attorney to take this on a contingency basis.

Josh Pastner is still very popular in Arizona. No high profile attorney will touch this case without a monstrous retainer. Otherwise it’s just not worth the aggravation of getting in bed with 2 crazy people. If he walked into my office I would demand a $50,000.00 non- refundable retainer, charge him $500 an hour and demand a retainer agreement that once the balance goes under $25,000.00 he must immediately replenish it to $50K or I am allowed to automatically withdraw. Most attorneys would demand at least a 100K retainer. If he wants to pursue the counterclaim to verdict it will cost him several hundred thousand dollars in attorney fees, along with the very real possibility that he'll be paying CJP's attorney fees as well.

CJP has Miracle Whips and JP by the short hairs. If I was representing CJP I would demand an apology under oath along with payment of my attorney fees and an airtight agreement with liquidated damages mandating that he doesn’t come near me or my family or make any further allegations. (Liquidated damages specify a sum certain for each violation of the agreement).

The independent investigation, although not admissible in court, totally changed the national narrative about the case. The attorneys’ withdrawal- and the nasty way they did it – further seals their fate. RB and JP are rapidly running out of options.

So, when I wrote the quoted post I hadn't seen the AJC article which described the contents of their attorneys' Motion to Withdraw. A couple of quick thoughts:

1. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a competent and respected attorney such Paul Gattone would take a counterclaim alleging sexual assault on a contingency basis. What, I wondered, did Miracle Whips promise in the way of evidence? Well, he fed him the biggest and best lie imaginable: a smoking gun with semen on it. And it worked for a while; he got his national headlines and caused pain to CJP, his family and GT. But now RB and JP are in for a world of hurt. The jig is up.

2. Kudos to Gattone. He wasted thousands of dollars of billable hours on those clowns and he was not leaving without getting a pound of flesh. The Motion to Withdraw is not online but I've read enough coverage of it to know that he went the extra mile to portray RB and JP as liars and frauds. That will resonate strongly within the Pima County legal community. No one will touch this case without an insane retainer and billable rate. These morons may end up representing themselves.

3. The Motion to Withdraw is more devastating to Miracle Whips than the independent investigation, IMHO. So-called independent investigations are often times viewed as biased in favor of whoever is paying the bill (see Goodell, Roger), although the one conducted in this case was thorough and even-handed. But when your own attorney calls you out as a fraud and a liar, well that resonates strongly with everybody, including a prospective jury pool.

4.The case will go on. The Judge will give RB and JP a month or so to find new counsel and will have no sympathy if they can't. There is already outstanding discovery. Coming up in the near future will be Motions to Compel followed by Motions for Sanctions. If RB and JP don't respond, at some time in the future the Judge will probably strike the Counterclaim and enter a judgment of behalf of CJP. The only remaining issue for the jury would be how much damages to award.

5. If I'm CJP I don't take my foot off the accelerator. He's in a position to crush these scumbags. As a lawyer, it would be a freaking wet dream to depose these lying sacks of manure. They've told so many lies and contradicted themselves so many times that they will probably end up perjuring themselves. So, let's see what happens next. Will CJP let him settle or will he go all in on destroying Miracle Whips once and for all.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, when I wrote the quoted post I hadn't seen the AJC article which described the contents of their attorneys' Motion to Withdraw. A couple of quick thoughts:

1. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a competent and respected attorney such Paul Gattone would take a counterclaim alleging sexual assault on a contingency basis. What, I wondered, did Miracle Whips promise in the way of evidence? Well, he fed him the biggest and best lie imaginable: a smoking gun with semen on it. And it worked for a while; he got his national headlines and caused pain to CJP, his family and GT. But now RB and JP are in for a world of hurt. The jig is up.

2. Kudos to Gattone. He wasted thousands of dollars of billable hours on those clowns and he was not leaving without getting a pound of flesh. The Motion to Withdraw is not online but I've read enough coverage of it to know that he went the extra mile to portray RB and JP as liars and frauds. That will resonate strongly within the Pima County legal community. No one will touch this case without an insane retainer and billable rate. These morons may end up representing themselves.

3. The Motion to Withdraw is more devastating to Miracle Whips than the independent investigation, IMHO. So-called independent investigations are often times viewed as biased in favor of whoever is paying the bill (see Goodell, Roger), although the one conducted in this case was thorough and even-handed. But when your own attorney calls you out as a fraud and a liar, well that resonates strongly with everybody, including a prospective jury pool.

4.The case will go on. The Judge will give RB and JP a month or so to find new counsel and will have no sympathy if they can't. There is already outstanding discovery. Coming up in the near future will be Motions to Compel followed by Motions for Sanctions. If RB and JP don't respond, at some time in the future the Judge will probably strike the Counterclaim and enter a judgment of behalf of CJP. The only remaining issue for the jury would be how much damages to award.

5. If I'm CJP I don't take my foot off the accelerator. He's in a position to crush these scumbags. As a lawyer, it would be a freaking wet dream to depose these lying sacks of manure. They've told so many lies and contradicted themselves so many times that they will probably end up perjuring themselves. So, let's see what happens next. Will CJP let him settle or will he go all in on destroying Miracle Whips once and for all.

If CJP ends up with that home and pool in Arizona can we get the NCAA to reverse its ruling against us?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck

Well said my man

Deleted member 2897

Well said my man

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Still today, all this time later, FTRS STILL has not said a word about the result of the investigation. Sad.

Deleted member 2897

Wait, what's the context? I'm not familiar but I need a reason to be outraged. :mad:

It’s from another thread I can no longer find.

FTRS wrote an article when CJP was sued without full context of the 2 characters involved. Now that he’s been cleared, the result of the investigation hasnt even been mentioned as a bullet point or side thought, much less an actual article.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’s from another thread I can no longer find.

FTRS wrote an article when CJP was sued without full context of the 2 characters involved. Now that he’s been cleared, the result of the investigation hasnt even been mentioned as a bullet point or side thought, much less an actual article.

Thanks. I'm now properly radicalized.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I'm trying to follow the case through the Pima County Superior Court but their on-line docket is awful. For instance, it says "Motion for Sanctions" but it doesn't tell you which party filed the Motion and for what. None of the pleadings are accessible remotely; it just says "available at courthouse." Moreover, I'm not an Arizona attorney and I'm not familiar with their rules of civil procedure. So, mostly this is a set of educated guesses.

Arizona appears to have a robust system of mandatory discovery. What that means is that when a Complaint is filed and an Answer/Counterclaim are also filed, each party has an obligation to provide mandatory discovery, such as who are your witnesses, what documents do you have to support each contention, etc. CJP filed a Motion for Sanctions, which I am assuming is to compel responses to discovery not provided by RB and JP. There is no way to know exactly what they didn't provide without a trip to Tuscon, so you can forget about that. From the newspaper articles it seems ole Miracle Whips wouldn't cooperate with his attorney in discovery.

Here's what I do know for sure: the case is scheduled for a Mandatory Telephone Conference with the Judge on July 10th at 9:15 am (PST). We should get a few preliminary answers by then, such as whether RB and JP have retained a new attorney and whether they have complied with their discovery obligations. I'm sure CJP's attorney will be pressing hard for a date to depose (take sworn testimony under oath) of RB and JP. That will be a bloodbath when it occurs. So, we may not hear anything but crickets until after July 10th.

In the meantime, here is the bio on CJP's current attorney. He is a serious heavy hitter. If you're a nerd like me and interested, scroll all the way through his profile.

http://www.palumbowolfe.com/attorney-profiles/scott-i-palumbo/

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
More evidence is coming out showing that the claims against CJP were fabricated:
An Arizona couple who accused Georgia Tech men’s basketball coach Josh Pastner of sexual assault indicated in recorded jailhouse telephone calls that they fabricated the allegations, according to court documents filed Friday.

Ron Bell and Jennifer Pendley of Tucson, who filed a lawsuit against Pastner last winter, spoke dozens of times while Bell was jailed for violating his probation in Georgia, Pastner’s lawyers said in the court documents. Bell repeatedly threatened to publicly renounce Pendley’s claims about Pastner if she didn’t help him get out of jail sooner.

“I’m sick and tired of being in jail because you filed the lawsuit,” Bell told Pendley, according to a transcript of a March 28 video call.

“Well, who’s fault – why did I file it?” Pendley responded.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...st-charges-fabricated/Miyu0U40LMDB9dMB19dapM/

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. Just wow. It’s hard to believe all the trouble our pal RB and his paramour JP have gotten themselves into. Making false allegations of sexual assault and lying to your attorneys and the court about a dress that contains CJP’s semen is a spectacularly bad idea. There is a status conference tomorrow so by the end of the week we should know a lot more about where the case stands. I’m going to wait until the Judge makes his ruling before posting in depth but here are 3 quick thoughts going into tomorrow’s hearing.

It would be highly unusual for a Judge to strike a Counterclaim and enter a judgment of default this early in the litigation, as CJP is asking the court to do, but there is nothing “usual” about this case. Miracle Whips and JP have not responded to any of CJP’s mandatory and non-mandatory discovery requests. That’s a huge no-no. The Judge has the discretion to do anything from granting a Motion to Compel, awarding attorney fees and giving the scumbags one last chance to respond all the way to throwing out their Answer and Counterclaim. Let’s see what he does.

CJP’s attorneys are also asking the court for permission to depose Miracle Whip’s former attorneys. Arizona, like all jurisdictions, has a crime-fraud exception to the attorney-client privilege. The argument is that RB/JPs attorneys’ Motion to Withdraw is prima facie evidence of the Defendant’s perpetuating a fraud upon the court. This is further bolstered by all of the jailhouse recordings in which the Defendants all but admit that they are lying their asses off. It will be fascinating to see if the Court allows the depositions of the former attorneys. That would very harmful to the Defendants.

Finally, it’s important to remember that Miracle Whips is on probation for the next 4 ½ years. Perjury is definitely a crime, although it is rarely prosecuted (if it was, half the people in contested divorces could be charged). However, Miracle Whips needs to be really careful in his testimony. If he keeps lying, the Judge can easily pick up the phone and share his thoughts about it with RB’s probation officer. Alternatively, the probation officer can decide to revoke him on his/her own. RB can’t be revoked on anything he did prior to his probation being transferred to Arizona, but going forward it’s all fair game. CJP and especially his attorneys have a lot of friends in high places in Tuscon. RB has none and can’t even get a lawyer to represent him (so far). He can easily find himself back in jail.

So, let’s see how it goes this week. It should be fun.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. Just wow. It’s hard to believe all the trouble our pal RB and his paramour JP have gotten themselves into. Making false allegations of sexual assault and lying to your attorneys and the court about a dress that contains CJP’s semen is a spectacularly bad idea. There is a status conference tomorrow so by the end of the week we should know a lot more about where the case stands. I’m going to wait until the Judge makes his ruling before posting in depth but here are 3 quick thoughts going into tomorrow’s hearing.

It would be highly unusual for a Judge to strike a Counterclaim and enter a judgment of default this early in the litigation, as CJP is asking the court to do, but there is nothing “usual” about this case. Miracle Whips and JP have not responded to any of CJP’s mandatory and non-mandatory discovery requests. That’s a huge no-no. The Judge has the discretion to do anything from granting a Motion to Compel, awarding attorney fees and giving the scumbags one last chance to respond all the way to throwing out their Answer and Counterclaim. Let’s see what he does.

CJP’s attorneys are also asking the court for permission to depose Miracle Whip’s former attorneys. Arizona, like all jurisdictions, has a crime-fraud exception to the attorney-client privilege. The argument is that RB/JPs attorneys’ Motion to Withdraw is prima facie evidence of the Defendant’s perpetuating a fraud upon the court. This is further bolstered by all of the jailhouse recordings in which the Defendants all but admit that they are lying their asses off. It will be fascinating to see if the Court allows the depositions of the former attorneys. That would very harmful to the Defendants.

Finally, it’s important to remember that Miracle Whips is on probation for the next 4 ½ years. Perjury is definitely a crime, although it is rarely prosecuted (if it was, half the people in contested divorces could be charged). However, Miracle Whips needs to be really careful in his testimony. If he keeps lying, the Judge can easily pick up the phone and share his thoughts about it with RB’s probation officer. Alternatively, the probation officer can decide to revoke him on his/her own. RB can’t be revoked on anything he did prior to his probation being transferred to Arizona, but going forward it’s all fair game. CJP and especially his attorneys have a lot of friends in high places in Tuscon. RB has none and can’t even get a lawyer to represent him (so far). He can easily find himself back in jail.

So, let’s see how it goes this week. It should be fun.

Me when I see brandon_cox has posted:
giphy.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Gotta love how the AJC reporter has Bell’s cell phone.

Not surprising since he was reaching out to every media outlet in the country last fall trying to get someone to run his story. I saw several reporters who said he had reached out to them multiple times but his story didn't quite add up so they wouldn't run with it. I'm sure there are tons of Atlanta and national sports reporters who have his cell phone number.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
WSB came out with an article with a few more fun quotes from our pal that I don't think was in the AJC article - Link

“You just (expletive) off like a million dollars because of your big (expletive) rat trap that some people call a mouth,” Bell lashes out at Pendley in a March phone recording.

“Okay, be careful because that’s going to come back and bite you in (expletive) You’re going to be on national-you think this is going to be local?" Bell laughs. “Are you that-are you (expletive) retarded? This is going to be the first story on ESPN. This is going to be in New York, on the news, on every (expletive) channel. Los Angeles, San Diego. Everyone who knows you is going to see it. You were the one who-“

“Well, I’m sorry that you have to be that vindictive to me because I have done nothing but love you, the best I know how,” Pendley replies.

Truly a psycho.