Our Offense

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
JT could have had some nice plays if he'd have kept it. He needs to keep more often when it's there. Anyone else notice? Of course I don't care as long as we win.
I've noticed many times this year that JT seemed to "miss" a bunch of reads but I think many of those misses were designs for him to pitch or handoff.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We will need to score a lot against uga. Their offense just looks so explosive right now

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
From the upper north, my jaw dropped looking at how quick their DL guys were. We just could not get in front of them trying to scoop them on the back side of plays. I came away impressed. They are good up front.

On TV, I couldn't believe how fast they were. They have some great players on D.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Difference between playing Clemson and others that I noticed in the 1st quarter- JT dropped back to pass and got flushed out. It looked like he had a lane for a 5-10 yard run like he's gotten in those situations before. But one of those 5* LBs for Clemson came flying out of nowhere and chased him out of bounds for no gain. At that point and after that play, I was worried about what the offense was up against.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The big thing about Clemson is the experience on d defending our offense. Experience is one of the biggest factors for me when setting my expectations for our performance. They were doing the right things on the D Line to make us uncomfortable. They also attacked attacked attacked. Once a D gets on its heels against us it's all over for them.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
The big thing about Clemson is the experience on d defending our offense. Experience is one of the biggest factors for me when setting my expectations for our performance. They were doing the right things on the D Line to make us uncomfortable. They also attacked attacked attacked. Once a D gets on its heels against us it's all over for them.

Completely agree. UGA was one of those teams also but they have a new defensive coordinator now. If I remember correctly the Citadel (similar offense as ours) last year put up some points on Florida St last year and that Florida St defense was incredible.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was kind of expecting to run midline option as a way to deal with the inside guys. I think I only saw a single midline call that went for about 2.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson is a heck of a good defense, in stark stark contrast to what we saw last week. Night and day difference. However, you also have to give us a ton of credit for converting on 50% of third downs, hitting some big plays along the way, and finding a way to sustain drives through the air.

Please do not look past this game without recognizing the growth in our offense that it symbolizes. In prior years we would have imploded in this situation and gained half the number of yards we did yesterday. In a game where we felt like we were getting stuffed the following things still happened:

We gained 350+ total yards
We won TOP by 10 minutes
Our BBs got over 100 yards
Our QB went 8-11 with a TD and no picks
We had 2 run plays of over 50 yards and another couple for 25 or so
We only had a couple penalties
We converted 50% of our 3rd downs

It was tough sledding out there for us, but the sad truth for our opponents is that we now have so many ways to move the ball it is pretty much impossible to shut us down. We have been so desirous, as a fan base, for this to finally happen. When teams dare us to pass, as Clemson did, we do just that and keep the sticks moving. Let's not take it for granted now that it has finally come to fruition. While the percentage of plays is still heavily run first, we have balance in terms of capability.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I said it a few weeks ago, and we saw it against Clemson...our offense is starting to become a "pick your poison" offense. You can take one or two things away that we do well, but there's the other things we do well you can't stop. We have too many ways to hurt you now. Focus on the dive? OK, we'll take the option game to the perimeter and you get to deal with JT and our roster of ABs. Take away the dive and perimeter option game? Thanks, you can only do that by bringing 9 in the box...and you get to deal with Smelter now on the outside 1v1 with no help. We're starting to realize that Smelter has gotten to the "just throw it in his vicinity" level...same level as Megatron and BeyBey got to in their careers here. When things break down, good luck corralling JT.

I mean...what do you do with a team like that? Hope we make mistakes...and that's the only thing really stopping us now.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson is a heck of a good defense, in stark stark contrast to what we saw last week. Night and day difference. However, you also have to give us a ton of credit for converting on 50% of third downs, hitting some big plays along the way, and finding a way to sustain drives through the air.

Please do not look past this game without recognizing the growth in our offense that it symbolizes. In prior years we would have imploded in this situation and gained half the number of yards we did yesterday. In a game where we felt like we were getting stuffed the following things still happened:

We won TOP by 10 minutes

It was tough sledding out there for us, but the sad truth for our opponents is that we now have so many ways to move the ball it is pretty much impossible to shut us down. We have been so desirous, as a fan base, for this to finally happen. When teams dare us to pass, as Clemson did, we do just that and keep the sticks moving. Let's not take it for granted now that it has finally come to fruition. While the percentage of plays is still heavily run first, we have balance in terms of capability.

I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand, I look at the stats and I see 5.8 yd/play on 61 plays. I think about the bad first quarter (GT was -4 rushing). I deduct the 1 qtr performance (9 plays, 20 yards) and now see 6.4 yd/play on 59 plays, which is more like it (GT averages 6.8 yd/play on the season). So, a slow start that finished well. I was thrilled to GT respond to Clemson challenge in the passing game. Clemson crowded the box early and few completed passes by GT backed up the Clemson defense quite nicely. The Clemson was still good enough to challenge the offense, but at least offense had some room to work with. I thought those 3rd down conversions in the passing game were instrumental in maintaining the offense's effectiveness.

Now, where I get worried is the red zone performance: 1 TD and 3 FG in 5 chances. Going into the game GT scored on 81% of its redzone possessions and scored a TD 70% of the time when in the redzone. So, while the team scored at the same rate, the TD% was terrible. Maybe I'm just looking for something to be worried about, but kicking field goals in the red zone leaves too many points on the field. I think most coaches would tell you that when the opposing team has to kick a field goal, then that is a small victory for the defense. Certainly, when the GT defense forced an early Clemson field goal, I was thinking to myself that the defense had scored a victory.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We won TOP by 10 minutes

Agree all. As I posted elsewhere, we only had ten possessions .... 2 were stopped by fumbles and two were running out the clock in first and second half.

Total plays, including ST, was 140 and second lowest compared to Miami which had 137. Those HUNH offenses probably get well over 200 plays a game. But the purpose is to win, not get a lot of yards.