Our NIL

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
My first reaction to us perhaps having raised several million dollars of nil money is to think of it in terms of an endowment, something sustainable over time.
If it does need to be like an endowment, then drawing ~5% of several million isn’t much.
Am I missing something?
If it’s expendable/non endowment money, then it will need to be replenished, maybe continually.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OK, as you say if the colleges are all part of the system, lets say for example that there are 4-tiers of contracts. Th first three are NFL tiers and the fourth is the college tier. If Owner A , loses his solid 2nd string QB, which is a necessity in the NFL, to Owner B, because he is demanding more money as a 2nd tier player and Owner B has more room under the salary cap, Owner A is going to the Commissioner and start lobbying to raise the salary cap. If that happens there will be a domino effect, higher salary cap, higher ticket and concession prices, etc. And when the less successful teams start having attendance issues ... well like I said, the NFL will only take so much.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that example and how it ties into players using college compensation for negotiations.

Your QB example is already happening in the NFL, and NFL deals with it by going down the list of available QBs. Josh Dobbs (now with the VIkings) and Joe Flacco (now with the Browns) are prime examples of starting QBs who were sitting at home to start the season.

The "4th tier" you're trying to use doesn't exist, and can't exist for all the reasons I listed. Did Dobbs or Flacco go back to college to play because they used college as leverage for more money? No, because it's not possible. What happened? They stayed home until someone called them. NFL didn't dip into the college ranks, because they can't. You know how many QBs that are NFL level are still sitting at home? Way more than there are NFL roster spots for QBs. Cam Newton could still probably play, and he wants to, but no team wants him.

The closest example to what you're saying is a college player with eligibility left trying to negotiate with the NFL. It can't happen directly, but you can put stuff out to the media. Caleb Williams at USC for example. He famously said he would return to USC if he didn't get drafted by the team he wants, and he didn't get ownership interest in a team (even though that's against League rules). You know what the NFL is going to say? OK, go back for your last year. Let's see how that works out for you next year when you don't have the option of returning.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My first reaction to us perhaps having raised several million dollars of nil money is to think of it in terms of an endowment, something sustainable over time.
If it does need to be like an endowment, then drawing ~5% of several million isn’t much.
Am I missing something?
If it’s expendable/non endowment money, then it will need to be replenished, maybe continually.

That's what most schools are trying to do. Of course, the amount of money to make that possible is a lot more than what most schools currently have, and it would also be tied to the return in investments for that endowment...which is changes due to market conditions.

Someone did the math earlier and GT would need at minimum to fund around $3 million a year just to meet the proposed school "salary" ($30K/year) for the football team. That would mean a $60 million endowment...and that's just for football, and would also require a stable 5% return every year.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
That's what most schools are trying to do. Of course, the amount of money to make that possible is a lot more than what most schools currently have, and it would also be tied to the return in investments for that endowment...which is changes due to market conditions.

Someone did the math earlier and GT would need at minimum to fund around $3 million a year just to meet the proposed school "salary" ($30K/year) for the football team. That would mean a $60 million endowment...and that's just for football, and would also require a stable 5% return every year.
Yup. And to really play ball, GT needs to be around $6-8 million per year for football. This gets you into the uga, bama, ohio state range. So now $120ish million endowment. This needs to happen soon. Amazing we struggle to raise $250k.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, as you say if the colleges are all part of the system, lets say for example that there are 4-tiers of contracts. Th first three are NFL tiers and the fourth is the college tier. If Owner A , loses his solid 2nd string QB, which is a necessity in the NFL, to Owner B, because he is demanding more money as a 2nd tier player and Owner B has more room under the salary cap, Owner A is going to the Commissioner and start lobbying to raise the salary cap. If that happens there will be a domino effect, higher salary cap, higher ticket and concession prices, etc. And when the less successful teams start having attendance issues ... well like I said, the NFL will only take so much.
I see where you are going but it’s just not a realistic scenario. The NFL has rules and agreements in place between the players union and its owners to limit/prohibit a lot of these scenarios you’ve mentioned along with a commissioner to enforce all agreements. College football doesn’t have any of that and that’s the problem. The tv contracts (Big 10) are structured like NFL but otherwise college football doesn’t have anything in place like the NFL

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
I totally respect anyone who decides to contribute to our NIL initiatives, and I appreciate their commitment to helping Tech Athletics succeed. However, donating to an NIL collective is a line I'll personally never cross. I gladly give money to fund new facilities or provide new resources to Tech athletes — in other words, anything that would improve our student-athletes' academic or athletic quality of life. But I want no part in helping the school indirectly pay players. Ignoring all the exclusive student-athlete benefits at Tech (their own dining hall, beautiful facilities, tutors, merchandise, stipends, etc.), they get compensated with a Georgia Tech education/degree, which can be worth millions over the course of their lifetime. That's what college athletics is about — academics — and I won't abandon that principle just because the landscape is shifting. If a player can get Rocky Mountain Pizza or Park Tavern to pay them for advertising or something like that, then more power to 'em; but they aren't employees (nor should they be), so the Institute shouldn't pay them.

Again, I don't hold it against anyone who donates to our NIL programs. I always contribute to Tech in any way I can — just not that way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I totally respect anyone who decides to contribute to our NIL initiatives, and I appreciate their commitment to helping Tech Athletics succeed. However, donating to an NIL collective is a line I'll personally never cross. I gladly give money to fund new facilities or provide new resources to Tech athletes — in other words, anything that would improve our student-athletes' academic or athletic quality of life. But I want no part in helping the school indirectly pay players. Ignoring all the exclusive student-athlete benefits at Tech (their own dining hall, beautiful facilities, tutors, merchandise, stipends, etc.), they get compensated with a Georgia Tech education/degree, which can be worth millions over the course of their lifetime. That's what college athletics is about — academics — and I won't abandon that principle just because the landscape is shifting. If a player can get Rocky Mountain Pizza or Park Tavern to pay them for advertising or something like that, then more power to 'em; but they aren't employees (nor should they be), so the Institute shouldn't pay them.

Again, I don't hold it against anyone who donates to our NIL programs. I always contribute to Tech in any way I can — just not that way.
Well said.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
....Johnny College .

This made me lol.

I'm seeing you in a bar in some college town arguing with the 42-year old, local high school flameout. He yells, "Lookit Johhny College here with his fancy words.." Then he knocks you out. Good times, good times.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that example and how it ties into players using college compensation for negotiations.

Your QB example is already happening in the NFL, and NFL deals with it by going down the list of available QBs. Josh Dobbs (now with the VIkings) and Joe Flacco (now with the Browns) are prime examples of starting QBs who were sitting at home to start the season.

The "4th tier" you're trying to use doesn't exist, and can't exist for all the reasons I listed. Did Dobbs or Flacco go back to college to play because they used college as leverage for more money? No, because it's not possible. What happened? They stayed home until someone called them. NFL didn't dip into the college ranks, because they can't. You know how many QBs that are NFL level are still sitting at home? Way more than there are NFL roster spots for QBs. Cam Newton could still probably play, and he wants to, but no team wants him.

The closest example to what you're saying is a college player with eligibility left trying to negotiate with the NFL. It can't happen directly, but you can put stuff out to the media. Caleb Williams at USC for example. He famously said he would return to USC if he didn't get drafted by the team he wants, and he didn't get ownership interest in a team (even though that's against League rules). You know what the NFL is going to say? OK, go back for your last year. Let's see how that works out for you next year when you don't have the option of returning.
The 4th tier that doesn't exist today would be the college tier, if by your definition college football is part of the system, they would be the 4th tier. The point I was trying to make is the NFL Owners don't want college football driving up the cost of running their football team. I say if something doesn't change in limiting the $$ for college athletes, it eventually will ...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The 4th tier that doesn't exist today would be the college tier, if by your definition college football is part of the system, they would be the 4th tier. The point I was trying to make is the NFL Owners don't want college football driving up the cost of running their football team. I say if something doesn't change in limiting the $$ for college athletes, it eventually will ...

By "system", I meant the system that prevents players to maximize their value on the NFL level, and to prevent players on the college level from going to NFL early. That's my point. The system is stacked. There's really not an argument to be made that college players getting paid will affect the NFL. It's not a two way street in terms of viability for players.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If I'm an NFL GM, I say "Johnny College made $2 million playing WR for 'Bama last year? I suggest you go to 'Bama and see if you can get that money."

Where's your leverage in that situation? There is no leverage because you can't go back to college once you've run out of eligibility.

There's plenty of veterans and guys coming out of college willing to take less money. The system is rigged in favor of the NFL, and colleges are part of that system.
The NFL has a Rookie salary scale. For 1st round picks it's 4 years with a team option for the 5th year which does get into much higher numbers. For all other rookies it's a 4 year contract that can't be renegotiated until the end of the 3rd year. There is no leverage until year 3 for ex college players.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
By "system", I meant the system that prevents players to maximize their value on the NFL level, and to prevent players on the college level from going to NFL early. That's my point. The system is stacked. There's really not an argument to be made that college players getting paid will affect the NFL. It's not a two way street in terms of viability for players.
So what happens when a drafted NFL Rookie has to take a pay-cut to go from "College" to "Pro" ... ?? You don't think the Rookie Salary Scale will have to change ??

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So what happens when a drafted NFL Rookie has to take a pay-cut to go from "College" to "Pro" ... ?? You don't think the Rookie Salary Scale will have to change ??
That is a collective barging agreement between the Players Association and the NFL Owners.

There is a defined revenue split between players and owners, thus the salary cap. If rookies make a higher % of the cap that’s less for the veterans.

No way to know how the next collective barging agreement will play out. Owners will want an 17th game. Players don’t. Hard to tell how much rookie pay scale resonates with the players association.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

He's going to get what he's going to get, or he can sit at home and wait for his phone to call.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
He's going to get what he's going to get, or he can sit at home and wait for his phone to call.
He is going to play in the NFL as any year he sits means one more year until he gets a second contract which is when the big money starts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He is going to play in the NFL as any year he sits means one more year until he gets a second contract which is when the big money starts.

He's going to play IF he comes to terms with an NFL team. He's not going to use what some RB in college is making as leverage. Once the RB is in the pros, what happens in college with other RBs is unrelated to the NFL.

If he doesn't want to play, he'll sit.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
SMU basically bought their way into Power 5 sports, and into one of the most academically prestigious conferences. Anyone who thought SMU wasn't going to have one of the most well funded NIL collectives isn't paying attention.
They have a history of paying athletes. It was before it was acceptable by the NCAA and they got the death penalty.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
SMU basically bought their way into Power 5 sports, and into one of the most academically prestigious conferences. Anyone who thought SMU wasn't going to have one of the most well funded NIL collectives isn't paying attention.
Smu in Dallas.
Gt in Atl
Smu is Docs and Lawyers
GT is Engrs.
SMU is business
Gt is about good jobs.

Gt 1 billion research helps the profs but the jocks not so much.

In Angel wextrust to be creative