Our NIL

Grey ghost

Georgia Tech Fan
My understanding of NIL is there is purposefully very little transparency with any of the figures with any program. Numbers get thrown around on social media but there is no way of verifying any of the numbers other than through personal/comfidential sources close to each collective. The whole thing is shady by traditional measures in this respect.
Aren’t they a tax deductible charity- 501-3c? If so, aren’t they required to disclose financial information including IRS filings?
Not sure that’s a good thing for the Program but would answer a lot of questions about our NIL competitiveness

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Matt Ruhle the Nebraska coached said publicly it takes $1.5-2M for a good college QB. Meanwhile, Purdy the SF Forty Niners QB makes $800K. Does anyone really think that this new era of college football doesn't need to be fixed ??? The NFL is only going to take so much of this ...
Im guessing Matt Rhule only paid $10.00 for his last QB

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Aren’t they a tax deductible charity- 501-3c? If so, aren’t they required to disclose financial information including IRS filings?
Not sure that’s a good thing for the Program but would answer a lot of questions about our NIL competitiveness
It's not a charity. We are paying for services. No disclosure required.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Matt Ruhle the Nebraska coached said publicly it takes $1.5-2M for a good college QB. Meanwhile, Purdy the SF Forty Niners QB makes $800K. Does anyone really think that this new era of college football doesn't need to be fixed ??? The NFL is only going to take so much of this ...

The NFL is eventually going to get the talent. They're more than fine waiting for talent to funnel to the NFL, while colleges foot the bill to develop their talent.

Grey ghost

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not a charity. We are paying for services. No disclosure required.
So now I have two questions:
1. Are they a 5013c ?
2. If so, why isn’t financial info available on the website?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So now I have two questions:
1. Are they a 5013c ?
2. If so, why isn’t financial info available on the website?
I would not donate money to NIL, but I would stay away from the so called tax exempt ones if I did. No way that passes muster with the IRS.

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan
Been saying it since they joined, SMU is going to be a force in the ACC!
Completely agree. Their advisory committee that was in charge of getting them into a P5 conference was made up of billionaires. I forget the article, but basically the net worth of the group was well north of 15 billion. That buys a lot of NIL with all that money..

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree. Their advisory committee that was in charge of getting them into a P5 conference was made up of billionaires. I forget the article, but basically the net worth of the group was well north of 15 billion. That buys a lot of NIL with all that money..
Both the Athletic and Yahoo Sports had extensive articles on it. The billionaires actually committed to fund the difference for the lack of TV revenue for the next 7 years.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The NFL is eventually going to get the talent. They're more than fine waiting for talent to funnel to the NFL, while colleges foot the bill to develop their talent.
The problem that will arise if this keeps going is the Owners will have to increase their payroll when the Agents of the non-superstar players start whining that why is my client not making what a College kid is making. When it hits their pocket books by having to pay their 2nd and 3rd string players more, it'll catch their attention.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem that will arise if this keeps going is the Owners will have to increase their payroll when the Agents of the non-superstar players start whining that why is my client not making what a College kid is making. When it hits their pocket books by having to pay their 2nd and 3rd string players more, it'll catch their attention.

1. The NFL has a salary cap. The amount of that cap is determined by an equation (tied to media revenue) voted on by the Players Union.

2. The NFL has ZERO problems telling a player to go play elsewhere if they don't like the rules or the pay. Where is a second and 3rd stringer going to go? For that matter, where is a 1st stringer going? Nowhere, because the NFL has a monopoly, and NCAA has an eligibility window.

3. Once that eligibility window expires, you play by the NFLs rules, if you're lucky enough to get a roster spot, or you go get a regular job. For every roster spot available, there's a 100 players willing to step over you to take it. Simple supply and demand. So you return for your senior year because you make more money playing in college, what happens when your senior year runs out?

4. Once a player is in the NFL, they can't return to college. It isn't a two way street. There's no leverage for an NFL player to use college money as a bargaining chip.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The Agents already use comparison contracts to other NFL Star-1st-2nd-3rd String players, why wouldn't they resort to College comparisons ? IMO, the Agents will use anything for leverage and get their clients more money ...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Agents already use comparison contracts to other NFL Star-1st-2nd-3rd String players, why wouldn't they resort to College comparisons ? IMO, the Agents will use anything for leverage and get their clients more money ...

If I'm an NFL GM, I say "Johnny College made $2 million playing WR for 'Bama last year? I suggest you go to 'Bama and see if you can get that money."

Where's your leverage in that situation? There is no leverage because you can't go back to college once you've run out of eligibility.

There's plenty of veterans and guys coming out of college willing to take less money. The system is rigged in favor of the NFL, and colleges are part of that system.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You basically both supported and refuted @Gold1 's post. He was dead wrong about the amount but, in his wrongness, illustrated that we do indeed have a marketing problem with our NIL stuff.
:LOL:
You just always have to be right don’t you.

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with giving freshmen NIL. Nil should be used for current players. Also we should hold out a portion of NIL money until the player receives his degree. Would give you leverage and also attract the right guys.
Tweaking NIL is some way like this sounds like a good idea. Incentivize them to not leave money on the table. Wonder if Tech should hire some kind of social psychologist / marketing person to craft an approach that effectively keeps guys in school after they’ve committed to Tech.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
If I'm an NFL GM, I say "Johnny College made $2 million playing WR for 'Bama last year? I suggest you go to 'Bama and see if you can get that money."

Where's your leverage in that situation? There is no leverage because you can't go back to college once you've run out of eligibility.

There's plenty of veterans and guys coming out of college willing to take less money. The system is rigged in favor of the NFL, and colleges are part of that system.
OK, as you say if the colleges are all part of the system, lets say for example that there are 4-tiers of contracts. Th first three are NFL tiers and the fourth is the college tier. If Owner A , loses his solid 2nd string QB, which is a necessity in the NFL, to Owner B, because he is demanding more money as a 2nd tier player and Owner B has more room under the salary cap, Owner A is going to the Commissioner and start lobbying to raise the salary cap. If that happens there will be a domino effect, higher salary cap, higher ticket and concession prices, etc. And when the less successful teams start having attendance issues ... well like I said, the NFL will only take so much.