Our NIL

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
SMU basically bought their way into Power 5 sports, and into one of the most academically prestigious conferences. Anyone who thought SMU wasn't going to have one of the most well funded NIL collectives isn't paying attention.
$36,000 x 85 scholarships = $3,060,000 annual payroll

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So $3M for NIL? I mean we need to PROMOTE this!!!

Agree. I went to The Tech Way site and it's not transparent what they get on the site (that I could find).

Here's something funny I came across looking through their stuff:
1701546887370.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
$36,000 x 85 scholarships = $3,060,000 annual payroll

That's nothing for the SMU donor base. They have a plethora of individual donors that can fund that themselves (GT actually has a few with that kind of financial firepower, but our donors are a bit more judicious in how they spend that money). When SMU can go multiple years without payment from the ACC, that tells you the kind of financial backing that program has.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I confess I'm confused or drunk. But I guess I really don't understand about the NIL.
looking thing up I found this:

NCAA athletes can now make money in business ventures without losing their eligibility after state laws and NCAA changes have erased rules that kept athletes from earning income in college.
Here's what you need to know about the new NIL rule changes in college football.
Players can accept money from businesses in exchange for using them in products or advertisements, and can also promote themselves or other companies in public appearances.

Two things remain disallowed by NCAA rules: 1) you can't pay a player, and, 2) no quid pro quo.

Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied for performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school.

Per NCAA NIL policy, schools are not allowed to offer players NIL deals. Players can only make money through their NIL through outside partnerships or sponsorships, and they must actually “do something “to earn money. These deals are also not supposed to influence where a player decides to attend school.

I guess my question is are not all the schools breaking the rules?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I confess I'm confused or drunk. But I guess I really don't understand about the NIL.
looking thing up I found this:

NCAA athletes can now make money in business ventures without losing their eligibility after state laws and NCAA changes have erased rules that kept athletes from earning income in college.
Here's what you need to know about the new NIL rule changes in college football.
Players can accept money from businesses in exchange for using them in products or advertisements, and can also promote themselves or other companies in public appearances.

Two things remain disallowed by NCAA rules: 1) you can't pay a player, and, 2) no quid pro quo.

Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied for performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school.

Per NCAA NIL policy, schools are not allowed to offer players NIL deals. Players can only make money through their NIL through outside partnerships or sponsorships, and they must actually “do something “to earn money. These deals are also not supposed to influence where a player decides to attend school.

I guess my question is are not all the schools breaking the rules?
Yes! There so no enforcement. That’s the issue.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I have on reliable report (guys been right in the past), that we have a single $3M NIL contribution which Brent Key got at a lunch that y'all will be hearing about at some point. So all is not lost guys & gals. I think Brent Key is the perfect guy to push GT since he bleeds white & gold.

Also, anyone heard the rumor that Miami couldn't make their payroll for NIL? (Should have taken a knee :) ) That may be part of the recruiting narrative out there. Could be part of this situation: https://theathletic.com/4734228/2023/07/30/miami-nil-john-ruiz-life-wallet/
SEC here we come.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
SMU has always confused me. For the **** ton of money they always had, was it politics (Texas/A&M) that kept them out of a major conference or was the death penalty that destructive?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. I went to The Tech Way site and it's not transparent what they get on the site (that I could find).

Here's something funny I came across looking through their stuff:
View attachment 15265
My understanding of NIL is there is purposefully very little transparency with any of the figures with any program. Numbers get thrown around on social media but there is no way of verifying any of the numbers other than through personal/comfidential sources close to each collective. The whole thing is shady by traditional measures in this respect.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Matt Ruhle the Nebraska coached said publicly it takes $1.5-2M for a good college QB. Meanwhile, Purdy the SF Forty Niners QB makes $800K. Does anyone really think that this new era of college football doesn't need to be fixed ??? The NFL is only going to take so much of this ...