Our History in Pivotal Games

I won't go into ancient, ancient history on this, but we have had a handful of games in the last 25 years where we had a golden chance to make a statement about the program.
1991 Kick off Classic, defending National Champs; spit the bit against Penn State, spiraled down, coaching staff jumped ship, enter B*** L****.
1999 Gator Bowl against Miami. Having beaten Georgia three in a row, we had a chance to move into elite territory. Would have been 19 wins in two years for O'Leary. Nope.
2009 against Georgia. At home, beat them the year before, we were the better team. Couldn't do it.
2009 Orange Bowl. The big spotlight. The perfect storm. An inferior Iowa team. Got embarrassed.

So now, here we are. Once again on the threshold of greatness. Heading to South Bend, Indiana, favored against the holy grail of Notre Dame. Win and we change the perception of millions for years to come. Fail and we are---well, a good team from the ACC.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Every big game is pivotal, and people remember what they want to remember to fit their narrative. Here's the deal: We're winning Saturday.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
squeaked by, actually. Great game, but one win. An upset, a euphoric win. Didn't change perceptions. Second win in a dozen tries. I am not at all sure you understand what I am trying to say.
I guess I don't understand either. Try to make your point better then, please. What are you trying to say? Are those other games mentioned not just as pivotal? Please expand.

I guess I don't understand either. Try to make your point better then, please. What are you trying to say? Are those other games mentioned not just as pivotal? Please expand.
I will try. Last year's Georgia game. What if we had lost? Would it have mattered as to how we are perceived by the masses? Because we beat Georgia last year, and because we beat Mississippi State, we now have the chance to make the statement: "we are a top______________ team". Is it top 20? Is it top 12? I don't know. But If we had lost to Georgia, FSU and Mississippi State last year, we wouldn't be in the position we are tonight. Because of those wins we have a chance, slim as it is , to be the program that beats those teams, and continues to be very good into the next season--to infinity and beyond!!!!
My original point was we have been here multiple times before and have never gotten it done.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
For the love of Mike, did that win result in the guys on Sports Center singing our praises for years to come. Try to follow the conversation.
This game won't change the perception either. We'll just hear about how Notre Dame has too many injuries

It takes more than 1 game to change perception. We have to string seasons together

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So a few things. Many of these games were let downs, but not all of them. The 2000 Gator Bowl against Miami...that was an incredibly talented team the Hurricanes had. That win put them at 9-4...then they went 11-1 in 2000, finished #2 overall, 12-0 in 2001 and won the national championship, and 12-1 in 2002, losing to Ohio State in one of the best games I've ever seen. That game against us was right when they had started turning the corner, and they were just a great team...no shame in losing.

2010 Orange Bowl...Iowa was not that inferior. In fact, we were completely outmatched on both lines of scrimmage, and it showed in the game. I was supremely pissed off watching the game, but if you look back, we just got beat on the line of scrimmage.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
For the love of Mike, did that win result in the guys on Sports Center singing our praises for years to come. Try to follow the conversation.
Haha you really think any result will end up with the SportsCenter guys "singing our praises for years to come"? ESPN is not neutral, they are driven by a quest for ratings and dollars. They will talk up the teams that bring in the most eyeballs. There is a ready-made excuse for ND with all their injuries (and I certainly can't blame them...they're hit hard), so the story after the game will be "injury-depleted ND gets crushed by GT, will recover and has a bright future". We're an afterthought in this game. If they prove me wrong I'll be pleasantly surprised.

One thing I can about this team that those teams didn't have, it's JeT under center with CPJ calling the shots. I have noticed this season that JeT doesn't leave CPJ side for much of the game. I wish our staff would let/make JeT wear a headset when he's not in the game.

Saturday can't get here fast enough! #THWG