Our defense is awful...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ebron was a good one...quick search showed he went for about 70 vs almost everyone. Got us for 108, Duke for 121, and dah U for 199. Had success against everyone, not just us.

That was kind of an odd game. Ebron lit us up the first half, then we shut him down (1 rec for 13 yards) in the second half. That's also a game where we came back from a 20-7 deficit to win 28-20.

We had some good Ds when O'leary was DC......some terrible ones when he became HC. I don't think they were terrible because he forgot how to coach D or hire a decent DC.

I was a huge Tenuta fan....and was in favor of him as a HC before CPJ's name came up. I recall many fans hating his scheme (mostly for giving up big plays) and we friggin had top 20 Ds during his tenure! Fans are fickle.
I didn't like Tenuta because one week the D would play lights-out, and the next week they would be flat as a pancake.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the binary praise him or fire him it seems some operate with. I think it's perfectly fine to discuss shortcomings of our defense and wonder if Roof has been part of the problem as a separate question from what to do about it.

I think CPJ's but to bed the simple "it's personnel" response to our shortcomings. However, that doesn't mean it's necessarily scheme or play-calling as the only alternative. Maybe, it really is focus and execution. Maybe that stems from how the players are being developed by position coaches. I don't know. However, we can't just keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

I also don't like the suggestion that CPJ has had complete freedom and control in the hiring of DCs. I think that there's been pretty good evidence that this has not been the case.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta was blitz happy and seemed to send someone almost every play. It worked a lot of time but we did get burned a lot with quick drops and short, hot throws. I have a friend who played QB at UNC and his sons played defense under Tenuta there. He said Tenuta was an @xxxxxx and was glad when he left. I think he said Tenuta had nicknames for almost every player on defense. Not sure they were particularly complementary.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing about Tenuta's defenses was they were usually pretty stout against the run. Whether it was the blitzing (run blitzes) or he was just really good at instilling gap responsibilities I never knew or understood but several really good run offenses got shut down. Just thinking of his defense against a run first team like Vandy and it would usually do pretty well.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again.....our defense held the opponent (team dujour) to 10 points. Lets see what happens against Vandy this week, then some of you can make another accessement about how bad the defense is.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The question you have to ask yourself is do the other teams point out Player X or Player Y for Tech as being exceptionally good on defense when they do their press conferences. So far I haven't heard them point out any particular player(s). I think they may be going away from Gray since his name is not called out a lot on tackles. Our 2* PJ Davis is usually mentioned after the games by opposing teams though. That guy can flat bring it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The question you have to ask yourself is do the other teams point out Player X or Player Y for Tech as being exceptionally good on defense when they do their press conferences. So far I haven't heard them point out any particular player(s). I think they may be going away from Gray since his name is not called out a lot on tackles. Our 2* PJ Davis is usually mentioned after the games by opposing teams though. That guy can flat bring it.

If your free safety is breaking up passes or getting interceptions, that is good. If he is getting a lot of tackles, that is not so good.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tenuta was blitz happy and seemed to send someone almost every play. It worked a lot of time but we did get burned a lot with quick drops and short, hot throws. I have a friend who played QB at UNC and his sons played defense under Tenuta there. He said Tenuta was an @xxxxxx and was glad when he left. I think he said Tenuta had nicknames for almost every player on defense. Not sure they were particularly complementary.

His players here did not seem to feel that way about him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't being among the lowest snap counts in college football make it tough to rank high in tfl's? I mean it's not an average(tflpp), right? It's a total. Unless each team has an equal number of opportunities, stats given as totals don't mean a whole lot.

For this year so far yes. For 2014 or 2015 we were not near the lowest....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the binary praise him or fire him it seems some operate with. I think it's perfectly fine to discuss shortcomings of our defense and wonder if Roof has been part of the problem as a separate question from what to do about it.

I think CPJ's but to bed the simple "it's personnel" response to our shortcomings. However, that doesn't mean it's necessarily scheme or play-calling as the only alternative. Maybe, it really is focus and execution. Maybe that stems from how the players are being developed by position coaches. I don't know. However, we can't just keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

I also don't like the suggestion that CPJ has had complete freedom and control in the hiring of DCs. I think that there's been pretty good evidence that this has not been the case.

Are you saying that last statement due to budgetary limitations? First I heard of this. Fyi i agree with the part about we cant keep doing the same thing over and over....and we do. It doesnt work

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Last year a ton on gotsis and freeman. Also dj white and going not his way

This year is early. Tape will show. We have alot of new players (whole secondary) 2 new lbs, 1-2 new dl. Hard to point out what you dont know....

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan

The same is said by players of CPJ. Son's best friend played guard at Navy for CPJ and says the press and public face we see is Santa Clause compared to the day in and day out grind the players get. It's just the nature of most coaches to express their frustrations to players this way, not necessarily unusual.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member