Our defense is awful...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Gt TFL
2013 ranked 42
2014 ranked 118
2015 ranked 128

Marks of a roof pos prevent unaggressive defense

2015 defense. Per paul; 6 players, over half, signed nfl contracts; some may have not made it but were good enough to get into camps which is limited.

Currently tied for 110th in 3rd down efficiency
Currently 108 in tfl

However they have played some of the lowest snaps per game making total yards and points looking nice.

These numbers were against a upstart program and a BC offense known to be really bad.

So what gives. Look at the trends and rankings. All I see is scheme and coaching (stats have been validated by watching tape too). Sure most teams want better players. But this is a trend with only one constant.....dead horse. Lol

Vandy is an interesting run heavy team. It will be interesting to see how our fits are and if we can keep our eyes to the key and not peak. We struggled to do this for years. Again. I know why. Will be quiet.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
To @Techster's point, does anybody know if Lucas Johnson is running scout team QB right now? If so, his (perceived) talents as a pocket passer may help out the D as we go along this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would take TCU defense in general and general scheme anyday. In general that defense over the past 5 years or whatever is stout.

In general, I cite TCU as a defense we should be on the level with. However, I wonder what they've been after moving into the Big 12? I think they've taken a dip, but admittedly haven't delved too deep into the analysis.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
To @Techster's point, does anybody know if Lucas Johnson is running scout team QB right now? If so, his (perceived) talents as a pocket passer may help out the D as we go along this year.

CPJ answered that question a couple weels ago by saying all 4 QBs (Martenson, Swilling, Jones, and Johnson) "were rolling reps" on the Scout Team.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In general, I cite TCU as a defense we should be on the level with. However, I wonder what they've been after moving into the Big 12? I think they've taken a dip, but admittedly haven't delved too deep into the analysis.

Good question I dont know. But I am also largely basing my opinion on the scheme they run. I love the 4-3 over or 4-2-5 robber covg. They are smart that they dont base their fronts off their secondary calls. They are totally independant and how they read react to the receivers is great. They can do multiple defenses out of the same presnap look.

Patterson said it best. There is nothing worse than a secondary coach who is worried about getting beat deep. As a result patterson tells his safeties not to back pedal at the snap, opposite of what we do, thereby helping to stop short and medium combo routes. Safeties only go once they are SURE they need to roll coverage deep. Usually the 2 deep seam in robber coverage or 1 deep route if in blue or two deep traditional.

Man what i wouldnt do to get gt to do more of this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good question I dont know. But I am also largely basing my opinion on the scheme they run. I love the 4-3 over or 4-2-5 robber covg. They are smart that they dont base their fronts off their secondary calls. They are totally independant and how they read react to the receivers is great. They can do multiple defenses out of the same presnap look.

I recall the broadcast of their ARK game saying they'd lost a lot on D and weren't as dominant as they had been.

However, I agree, their concepts appear really effective/sound which I like. I like MichSt too. Their size wasn't terribly different than ours, however, they were a really good D last time I bothered to look into them.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Gt TFL
2013 ranked 42
2014 ranked 118
2015 ranked 128

2015 defense. Per paul; 6 players, over half, signed nfl contracts; some may have not made it but were good enough to get into camps which is limited.

Currently 108 in tfl

However they have played some of the lowest snaps per game making total yards and points looking nice.

These numbers were against a upstart program and a BC offense known to be really bad.

So what gives. Look at the trends and rankings. All I see is scheme and coaching (stats have been validated by watching tape too). Sure most teams want better players. But this is a trend with only one constant.....dead horse. Lol

Vandy is an interesting run heavy team. It will be interesting to see how our fits are and if we can keep our eyes to the key and not peak. We struggled to do this for years. Again. I know why. Will be quiet.
He can fire him if he wants.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He can fire him if he wants.

Good point pbr. Maybe I should hammer paul more for not???? Hmmm. Nah. I like hammering roof ;)

In all honesty; its not ted personally. If he turns it around and runs a better D I will flip my switch and be the biggest supporter. Once I see it on film....even if results immediately arent there....just seeing it on film i will become a fan.

If you are ever in chat during the game i will often say i like what ted is doing here...just he doesnt stick to it all game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Gt TFL
2013 ranked 42
2014 ranked 118
2015 ranked 128

Currently 108 in tfl

Hey, hey, hey don't speak to much logic, you might blow the minds of those who say it's not coaching.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Good point pbr. Maybe I should hammer paul more for not???? Hmmm. Nah. I like hammering roof ;)

In all honesty; its not ted personally. If he turns it around and runs a better D I will flip my switch and be the biggest supporter. Once I see it on film....even if results immediately arent there....just seeing it on film i will become a fan.

If you are ever in chat during the game i will often say i like what ted is doing here...just he doesnt stick to it all game.
It's all about personel. I believe Mercer was screening against our man coverage and that's what the"more aggressive" crowd wants. That was the biggest plays Mercer had. We all like aggressive defenses including Ted but if you don't have the personnel to run them (see big 12) the scoreboard lights up at a much quicker pace. Paul's had three opportunities to select DCs here at Tech with similar results. That tells me scheme isn't the problem. I'll say it again. If he fires Roof he gives himself maybe one year to make drastic improvement or he's gone and he knows it. We'll see how arrogant he is but I hope and believe he's smarter than that.

slugboy

Staff member
TCU's head coach is a defensive coach, and is the flip side of CPJ--really good on defense, who knows what you'll see on offense. (last year, they were better than us on offense and defense) Also, TCU can really take just about anyone. However, I think their scheme or similar would be great for us, and that we can be be more forceful on defense.

It's all about personel. I believe Mercer was screening against our man coverage and that's what the"more aggressive" crowd wants. That was the biggest plays Mercer had. We all like aggressive defenses including Ted but if you don't have the personnel to run them (see big 12) the scoreboard lights up at a much quicker pace. Paul's had three opportunities to select DCs here at Tech with similar results. That tells me scheme isn't the problem. I'll say it again. If he fires Roof he gives himself maybe one year to make drastic improvement or he's gone and he knows it. We'll see how arrogant he is but I hope and believe he's smarter than that.

I'm not bothered that they were screening so much--I'm glad for that. What bugged me was seeing them get 8 yards on a screen instead of 2-3.

The last two times I saw really good defense at Tech, we had Tenuta as DC or we had O'Leary as DC. Really good defense is rare here.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We had some good Ds when O'leary was DC......some terrible ones when he became HC. I don't think they were terrible because he forgot how to coach D or hire a decent DC.

I was a huge Tenuta fan....and was in favor of him as a HC before CPJ's name came up. I recall many fans hating his scheme (mostly for giving up big plays) and we friggin had top 20 Ds during his tenure! Fans are fickle.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gt TFL
2013 ranked 42
2014 ranked 118
2015 ranked 128

Currently 108 in tfl

Wouldn't being among the lowest snap counts in college football make it tough to rank high in tfl's? I mean it's not an average(tflpp), right? It's a total. Unless each team has an equal number of opportunities, stats given as totals don't mean a whole lot.

slugboy

Staff member
Wouldn't being among the lowest snap counts in college football make it tough to rank high in tfl's? I mean it's not an average(tflpp), right? It's a total. Unless each team has an equal number of opportunities, stats given as totals don't mean a whole lot.
Did we have good TOP numbers last year? That's our worst TFL year, and if we didn't have a strong offense last year, you'd expect more snaps for the opponents, and more TFL
Also, TFL is plummeting year over year, and it's the same offensive scheme all three years.
Last, if you're on the field less on defense, then you're fresher, so you've got better odds for a tackle for loss than if you're worn out. Should more than even out, shouldn't it?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Paul's had three opportunities to select DCs here at Tech with similar results.
Does anyone remember the quote by CPJ last time he was looking for a DC? It was something like, "The good ones are all taken or cost more than Tech can pay and we kind of have to hunt in the bargain basement bin." I am embellishing somewhat but that was the tenor of his comment.