Our defense is awesome. .

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Btw, Adams makes a BIG difference in the run game. He collapsed the whole offensive line on that 4th and short early in the 2nd half.

That dude is going to be a player.
I watched that 4th and 1 play and was like, "Dang. Who's #90? That guy just pushed that whole pile backward nearly on his own." Saw him on the replay and was not surprised to see 'Adams' on the back of his jersey.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
(Just a reminder: BC was #124 in ypp O, Vandy was #120 last year. Of the 79 teams that played more than 2 pwr 5 opps, BC was #79 in ppd v pwr 5 O and Vandy was #75. Context)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Lol I like the point of this thread but I'm still a little hesitant for any knee jerk reactions. Our D really feeds off the offense and when the offense gets rolling our D always seems to play better. We'll see how they play against Clemson because they can spread it out and beat you in so many ways. Again, Vandy sucks but it's nice to know we didn't struggle and actually played better than I predicted at 34-13 (I think). Point wise our D is looking good. The thread last week was completely uncalled for so I tried to jump to our D's defense. I'm still worried about our Linebackers in pass coverage. If our DB's play that far back they have to stop the pass over the middle and they have stuggled with that mainly due to being out of position. I'm not sure what's up with Brant. He said he was lost last year but he looked like a world beater and now he seems slow and lost.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Some superlatives:

PJ - I don't know but dude had all kinds of tackles

Grey & Griffin were hitting. Being damn intimidators out there

Walker with an INT

Adam with the stop

Simmons needs to start. 1 TFL, 1 Pressure/Qb hit

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My boy got some snaps. :)

FYI I am out of town and had to listen via the radio app. Tre was mentioned regarding both special teams and linebacker play. Bedford Spoke very positively about his play and support for his fellow teammates when he wasn't playing. I know I don't need to say it but you should be very proud. I am sure that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyed today's game. But ... We looked good because of very poor play calling by Vandy. When you put yourself in difficult circumstances, you move progressively to lower and lower percentage plays. Had Vandy called better plays, we would have fared worse, but still probably won.

I was very unhappy to put Vandy on the 1 and let them out so easily. Punting is an offensive weapon and we let it go!

I'll analyze the plays tomorrow and have a better post game feel.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm glad some folks have mentioned Tre. I was going to give him a shout out today after watching the game from the upper north. Even though he hasn't played a ton, he is obviously a leader on the team. Who got in Mills' face for redirection and encouragement after his bad fumble in Ireland? On special teams, Tre plays with so much enthusiasm and energy. Big hits today and great hustle. Then, he gets some defensive snaps and makes some plays there too. Obviously, he plays with a motor and is a great "team" guy. Bravo!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
BC looks terrible today and VT looks like world beaters. Shame they killed selves vs mediocre Tenn team.

Can't help but wonder if all the time BC spent preparing for GT using starters to simulate our offense, etc. Is bit8ng them in the arse. If preseas9n reports were true they spent a redunculous amount of time on us. Gave us like a million D looks.

VT's offense under fuente looks like it MIGHT be for real. I agree if they dont fumble 5x vs TN imo they win that one. Like many teams they may get better after game 1. I hope not.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was really concerned with our lack of aggression in the first half...especially on the first drive, but then we made some adjustments and started going after them in the second.

I worry what Clemson will do to us in the passing game if we play back in zone coverage the way we were, but we will soon find out.

Can't complain when you look up at the end and only surrender 7 points. Scoring defense is pretty much the ultimate measure.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anyone else notice that CPJ made a bee line for Roof after Vandy's first drive? I don't know what was said but it apparently lit a fire under Roofs butt.

Vandy isn't great by any means but when any D1 team is held to 7 points the defense had a good day. Proud of the guys today and I feel we are seeing quite a few of them grow up.

Defensive players love being aggressive and that makes all the difference in the world. Yes it sucks getting beat on a big play,but being aggressive forces the offense to take chances and chances are all we need.