Option Football

JacketFan137

Banned
Everyone on planet earth knows Yates was a 4 star dual threat QB on Rivals, it's hilarious how full of crap you are. You are dishonest in damn near everything you post.
247 composite takes the aggregate ranking of all sites that is why it should be used for discussing recruiting rankings. in addition to that look at his offer list. we were the only p5 offer which should also tell you everything you need to know.

you are are angry and aggressive in damn near everything you post.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
vad was just really streaky. reminds me of sims. hard not to love the potential but when things were bad they were very bad. if vad could have stayed hot for a whole season i think we would have had a season similar to 2014 at some point with him

Good comparison. I doubt Vad could have beaten out JT in 2014, but he was talented enough to get us close to the same spot if he had stayed "on."

JacketFan137

Banned
I got a kick out of it during the Yates/Sims time, that's all. Board nostalgia from when I mostly lurked.

Yeah. There's a lot I apparently don't remember about that year. Vad hitting 45% of his passes was pretty good. And the defensive roster doesn't LOOK bad on paper at all!
haha i understand. i was mean but watching that offense with yates was exactly like watching the offense with gibson against uva but yates was a well liked georgia boy recruited by paul johnson so i think people just had a lot of hope for him and ignored all of the glaring red flags along the way. also i think he is a tremendous man off the field and is gonna be very successful outside of football. just would rather watch someone else play qb

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
247 composite takes the aggregate ranking of all sites that is why it should be used for discussing recruiting rankings. in addition to that look at his offer list. we were the only p5 offer which should also tell you everything you need to know.

you are are angry and aggressive and right in damn near everything you post.
Rivals has existed far longer than 247 and has always been considered as a legitimate ranking.

Also, ftfy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I just want to hear a clarification on why Chadwell’s offense is considered an option offense and other teams who use run heavy versions of RPO are not?

Also, if Coastal can dominate G5 football while recruiting 3-5th in conference why wouldn’t that carry over to the ACC in P5?

JacketFan137

Banned
I just want to hear a clarification on why Chadwell’s offense is considered an option offense and other teams who use run heavy versions of RPO are not?

Also, if Coastal can dominate G5 football while recruiting 3-5th in conference why wouldn’t that carry over to the ACC in P5?
perception which was a point being made several pages ago. his offense is labeled an option offense from the powers that be. whether that is fair or not is not up for me to decide but that is what the world calls it.

g5 football and p5 football are very different things. completely different caliber of opposition in terms of talent on the field, budgets, stadiums etc.

much is made about our crowd being anemic and us struggling to fill the stadium and we would top the attendance based on the numbers reported here. there’s just a lot of variables that make g5 a lot different

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting vs. success on the field should be somewhat relative G5-P5 if the coaching and scheme are sound . Hell you put Coastal or App State in the ACC right now and they are beating 1/2 of our garbage conference with G5 mid-pack recruiting.

JacketFan137

Banned
I am new to this board; what is the "Y" word?
yates. i was extremely critical of yates throughout his time here cause frankly i didn’t see anything that indicated he should be a starter

i was definitely too harsh and there were some ugly back and forths. a lot of people REALLY wanted yates to be the guy for whatever reason. he was from georgia and was on fire in the state playoffs, had a lot of fiery moments where he’d make a play and beat his chest, was recruited by paul johnson so he was basically seen as the antithesis of collins football since sims was quiet, not from here and was seen as collins crown jewel.

i was right but was an a-hole about it and people do not forget

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I was honestly just being silly about it. Normal message board stuff.

Unlike that one dude from another board who tried to convince Vad's parents not to let him go to GaTech or whatever. Now that guy was a whacko.

JacketFan137

Banned

Unlike that one dude from another board who tried to convince Vad's parents not to let him go to GaTech or whatever. Now that guy was a whacko.
yeah my bad for getting defensive. hard to tell emotion through a computer screen sometimes and when you have some people that are actually being confrontational it all blurs together haha

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
who tried to convince Vad's parents not to let him go to GaTech or whatever. Now that guy was a whacko.
Is there a tl;dr on this? We talking about a tech fan that did this?

I always got the feeling that there was a point where Vad lost confidence in CPJ's scheme. And our own fans were intentionally or unintentionally negatively recruiting against our own team because of the offense we ran.

I don't know if my memory serves me well but anyone recall a play where it was 4th and short and Vad slid feet first and failed to convert?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
calling these plays triple option plays may technically be correct because there are in fact 3 options but these are RPOs and not really like what we were doing with our option offense under paul.

this is closer to chadwell’s offense

There's nothing 'technically' about it. An RPO can be double option or a triple option. The play has three options so it's a triple option play. Urban Meyer considered it a triple option play when he started using it at Utah. Not sure why anyone would have any issues with calling it what it is.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There's nothing 'technically' about it. An RPO can be double option or a triple option. The play has three options so it's a triple option play. Urban Meyer considered it a triple option play when he started using it at Utah. Not sure why anyone would have any issues with calling it what it is.
Yeah, this is a circular argument about semantics and what the meaning of 'is' is. It's like we need this translation icon on our avatar.

"V" = When I say option, I am always referring to the veer formation triple option as run by Paul Johnson
"R" = When I say option, I am always referring to the shotgun formation play with a single back where the QB quickly either hands the ball off to the back or throws it downfield.
"W" = When I say option, I am always referring to the shotgun formation play with a single back where the QB slowly either hands the ball off to the back or throws it either downfield or wide.
"O" = When I say option, I am always referring to the general concept of making a play read post-snap, no matter from what formation, how quickly or if it is a run option or a pass option
"X" = When I say option, I am always referring to any 'uncool' offense that, no matter how much it wins, will be dumped on by Twitter Influencers
"S" = When I say option, I mean anything that could be considered a 'scheme' offense where you can win by recruiting all 2* athletes that fit your scheme

Then we can go with combos.
For instance, I would be O2X3, meaning I'm talking about any two-choice post-read play or sometimes doing something so uncool as having three choices! Gasp!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Is there a tl;dr on this? We talking about a tech fan that did this?

I always got the feeling that there was a point where Vad lost confidence in CPJ's scheme. And our own fans were intentionally or unintentionally negatively recruiting against our own team because of the offense we ran.

I don't know if my memory serves me well but anyone recall a play where it was 4th and short and Vad slid feet first and failed to convert?

Yeah, it was a guy who hated CPJ. I don't even recall his name anymore. One of the other boards.

I don't remember the feet-first slide. I remember the UNC hit on Vad that shook him pretty bad.
He was actually pretty good on option plays in 2012 and early 2013. Not perfect, but the guy made the right read most of the time. Is he still playing anywhere? I thought he had gotten into one of the startup leagues at one point.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it was a guy who hated CPJ. I don't even recall his name anymore. One of the other boards.

I don't remember the feet-first slide. I remember the UNC hit on Vad that shook him pretty bad.
He was actually pretty good on option plays in 2012 and early 2013. Not perfect, but the guy made the right read most of the time. Is he still playing anywhere? I thought he had gotten into one of the startup leagues at one point.
Most recently played in the USFL, although he had a tryout with the Steelers in August.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Vad currently plays for the Pittsburg Maulers of the USFL.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

That guy trolled the AJC comment section back in the day pretty hard. His Twitter feed was atrocious with the negative recruiting. He actually had a recruit call him out on it.