Optimistic about the defense? Why?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
UVA is the one keep an eye on

Rivals ranking 61, 68, 69

Finished 21st in team defense

Thanks. That is a very good example. It will be interesting to see if Bronco can keep that going. Also, I do know he got several 4 star guys for his defense, including a couple of DL's. That is key and can throw a wrench into my logic. A disruptive D line can make everyone else look very, very good. Lastly, it does help when you play in the coastal, as you already said.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The game plan on defense has been give them cushion so they throw the wide open short pass. Make them use clock and hope we are ahead at the end due to the offense.

The classic loss was to miami about 4 years ago - they were behind but threw 2 10 yd slants for long TDs. Happened right in front of the gt bench. Our defense was only good Stats at stopping long passes because they didnt try them.

The new defense will have tight corner coverage. The gains by opponents will be small, small, big, oh we got a pic 6!. Until we get a good rush and good coverage GOOD QB S WILL KILL US LIKE THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

Worse than that was the 2017 Miami game. Just thinking about the final the last drive on that Miami game still makes me nauseous. Get bubble screened like 6 straight times all the way into field goal range, get 3 good stops and then lose on a freak catch on 4th down.

We would have been 3-0 in the ACC (Miami was also 2-0 at the time) and comfortably in the drivers seat to play in Charlotte for the Title. Of course we later blew a multiple score lead to UVA (in like 5 minutes) and got just absolutely ruined by Duke later in the season.

slugboy

Staff member
It is hard to win football games when you depend on your offense to control the ball 35 minutes and score just about every other possession but that is what happens when you are out of the top 60 FEI defense. It is truly remarkable we won as many games as we did under those conditions. A testament to Coach Johnson's game day coaching ability and the much maligned triple option.

We were #111 in FEI Defense for 2018 the last I looked. We could have a massive improvement and still not be top 60. I think we can have a more than massive improvement, though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You forgot the most important one, IMO, can’t get off blocks. But our entire defensive personnel have trouble with that one which is not good at all.
D Coaches did better at other places
( They communicated to the players and the players performed). Perhaps at the other place the defense got a few full speed practice plays against the first team offense that looked like the scheme they face in real games. Ie - game speed.

Also Length is the new measurement on which we are recruiting . Short arm defenders running into the blocker has run its course. After the ND game both teams came out of locker rooms at north end zone. They were way way longer. On defense we have already started to get longer.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps at the other place the defense got a few full speed practice plays against the first team offense that looked like the scheme they face in real games. Ie - game speed.

This prevailing theory is finally going to be tested. For what it’s worth, I hope you’re right.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This prevailing theory is finally going to be tested. For what it’s worth, I hope you’re right.

I hope he's right, too, but Army runs a similar offense and they ranked #8 in total defense last year.

We've had DC's in and out of here over the last decade and none of them were able to get our defense up to snuff. The last one had excellent credentials, IMO, and our problems last year looked to me to be mainly problems of personnel. We lack strength and speed, except for the defensive backfield. The weight room can help address our problems of strength. Better upper body strength will help our tackling. There is no remedy for a lack of speed. I am not optimistic but I am always hopeful. I actually thought the defensive backfield showed a good bit of athleticism. Their problems had more to do with inexperience and an almost total dearth of pressure on the QB. The rest of the defense needs to hit the weight room hard.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They should see 3 and 4 pass progressions by the QB thrown at them in practice. More pick plays than PJ ran.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Coaching can put you in position to make plays

True, but I saw lots of guys in position who got burned, anyway. Lots of broken tackles, and I think it is simply a lack of strength in many cases. And in a lot of cases I think a lack of position was because of a lack of speed, especially among the linebackers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

1. The coaches find success at other places?

2. If the other teams are at a disadvantage at practicing against a slow version our O scheme, isnt it similarly logical for our defense to be at a disadvantage in similar manner. Surely you can see the logic in that.
3. Why did coach fire so many DC but nothing changed?

Sorry but to prove it was not 2, we would have to run the bend but dont break and that sure as heck ain't happening. Get ready for tight corner coverage!

As to getting better stats
1. our defense benefited when our special offense was maintaining possession and playing mistake free ball..
2. This coach will play his way into an aggressive winning defense like he had at UFC and msu. He will not be shy e en with the players we have. Get ready for a wild ride till the players show up. Lots of positive and lots of negative plays on way to only lots of positive plays.

3. After the players show up, we will be a top 30 defense that occasionally gets into teens . I give him 4 years to be way way better than the 4 DC we had under Coach.

Relax for a few years - give him some rope. He will do good or do bad.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Worse than that was the 2017 Miami game. Just thinking about the final the last drive on that Miami game still makes me nauseous. Get bubble screened like 6 straight times all the way into field goal range, get 3 good stops and then lose on a freak catch on 4th down.

We would have been 3-0 in the ACC (Miami was also 2-0 at the time) and comfortably in the drivers seat to play in Charlotte for the Title. Of course we later blew a multiple score lead to UVA (in like 5 minutes) and got just absolutely ruined by Duke later in the season.

At the tailgate next game - there were some disappointed ol guys. Jack state had come out blit,ing in first half but second half adjustments blew them away. Then as coach Sisk said the ol dropped Pittsburgh in the grease. Next we whipped UNC. Guys in ol played there hearts out.

After Miami we went to passing attack when ever we were behind - and lost to uva and duke- ugly

Animal02

Banned
True, but I saw lots of guys in position who got burned, anyway. Lots of broken tackles, and I think it is simply a lack of strength in many cases. And in a lot of cases I think a lack of position was because of a lack of speed, especially among the linebackers.

I agree with regard to strength...Watching other teams, you see people arm tackled and go down because of their arm strength.....it seemed we were often needing two guys to pull people down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with regard to strength...Watching other teams, you see people arm tackled and go down because of their arm strength.....it seemed we were often needing two guys to pull people down.

Lack of arm strength is often euphemistically referred to as a lack of "technique".

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
If you are optimistic about our defense this year please share your reasons. Last year, frankly, the DB’s sucked, the LB’s sucked and the DL was just OK and we lost all the starters from that unit. On top of that, we have a new scheme with new terminology to learn. We have new coaches who are supposed to be good, but there’s only so much they can do. You know what they say about chicken salad.

I know this sounds harsh, but the D scares the crap out of me and we won’t have a ball control offense to keep possessions down.

Don’t have to practice against the option or players recruited to run it trying to mimic a spread. This was the biggest thing that hurt the D over the past decade. Talent or coaching deficiencies took a back seat to this.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
1. The coaches find success at other places?

2. If the other teams are at a disadvantage at practicing against a slow version our O scheme, isnt it similarly logical for our defense to be at a disadvantage in similar manner. Surely you can see the logic in that.
3. Why did coach fire so many DC but nothing changed?

Sorry but to prove it was not 2, we would have to run the bend but dont break and that sure as heck ain't happening. Get ready for tight corner coverage!

As to getting better stats
1. our defense benefited when our special offense was maintaining possession and playing mistake free ball..
2. This coach will play his way into an aggressive winning defense like he had at UFC and msu. He will not be shy e en with the players we have. Get ready for a wild ride till the players show up. Lots of positive and lots of negative plays on way to only lots of positive plays.

3. After the players show up, we will be a top 30 defense that occasionally gets into teens . I give him 4 years to be way way better than the 4 DC we had under Coach.

Relax for a few years - give him some rope. He will do good or do bad.
Hedge much? The theory is on the line this year. But I’m sure there will be more reasons to explain bad D other than the players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don’t have to practice against the option or players recruited to run it trying to mimic a spread. This was the biggest thing that hurt the D over the past decade. Talent or coaching deficiencies took a back seat to this.
We shall soon see. I hope you are right.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When the players are a step slower, their arms a little shorter and weaker, they need go be so sell prepared they take the right step sooner and hit with the perfect angle.
Too often our guys arrived late, w wrong angle, and not enough lead in thier pants.
Dont need stars to see the Army DC is great as is the dl coach for uva.

They are building a narrative to find a reason to dislike cgc

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mainly I think that closing the gap between #111 to #40 is easier than closing the gap from #40 to #20, despite the evidence from roughly the last decade of us not doing just that.
I think you’re right. When you are ranking that many teams, the differences between individuals is very tiny.