Optimistic about the defense? Why?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

I’ve compiled the list before but I’m at work and don’t feel like doing the whole thing again.

We’ve got Adams returning on the DL who was playing at All-ACC level at the end of last season. The 4* IMG DT who RSed last season.

Secondary/OLB is just loaded with Oliver, Carpenter, Swilling, King, Charlie Thomas, Juanyeh Thomas. Couple of those guys could end up at S or OLB.

DE is a weakness. But that’s been a weakness since Morgan left (brief blip with Attaochu) when we weren’t as talented behind them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased that Geoff brings SEC style defensive thinking to Tech. That alone is an improvement.

I recall what Jeremy Pruitt said on arriving at UT. "Yes, our players don't have any talent. But we are going to coach them, recruit them, and develop to play using a system that works ... not adjusting and using one that doesn't."

5-7 (2-6) first year is what you're looking for?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Bc they will finally get coached and have the same attention to details the offense is giving.

Adams was a starter last season and we have experienced players like Glanton and Owens returning.

The days of a LB seeing a guard pull left and he runs right are over. Once again, i apologize Brant and Curry. You guys were not given the tools to be successful. Fortunately for Curry, he gets another chance to get better.

As for the DB, need i say more
BCA0E421-7D2C-476F-A88E-5FF0F92815BD.jpeg

Will have another drafted DB in Rock Ya Sin in April

Probably can Add Morgan Burnett, Mario Butler to this pic too

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bc they will finally get coached and have the same attention to details the offense is giving.

Adams was a starter last season and we have experienced players like Glanton and Owens returning.

The days of a LB seeing a guard pull left and he runs right are over. Once again, i apologize Brant and Curry. You guys were not given the tools to be successful. Fortunately for Curry, he gets another chance to get better.

As for the DB, need i say more View attachment 5283

This was literally, word for word, what Pruitt described. The players were not coached to play their positions .... properly. And that's what he is doing ... coaching each player on technique.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Given that they IMPROVED over ‘17 and played a full 60 minutes ... yes.
2-6 in ACC is a bad start.
We should hustle out 3 wins.

Unlike ae87 - i have defined my metric for knowing - it's a 2 game improvement in acc play in the next 4 years. Average 4 acc wins for 4 year = 16 . 16 out of 28 ( we will lose all 4 to Clemson) . A 3, 4, 4, 5 record with better recruiting and no thugs will be ok .

I am pretty optimistic about the defense - athletes, scheme will disguise scheme, will aggressive and let them play fast, no one has film on us, and acc qb s are not so good (ex Virginia).
When we play good qb - could be very bad.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

Very telling statement from a guy that played D at GT under the CPJ regime. Given the defense we saw under CPJ's decade tenure, this makes a ton of sense.

ibeeballin's statement leads me to believe our D coaching under CPJ likely cost some of our defensive guys a chance to get drafted and thrive in the NFL.

I looooove CPJ. Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed watching his offense and playcalling while he was our HC. Being a naive fan, I always expected GT to turn the corner on defense at some point in CPJ's tenure. I see now that was never really a possibility.

ibeeballin (and other former players), please keep posting your insight into stuff like this. It's very informative and helps me connect the dots regarding behind the scenes stuff as I'm fairly ignorant due to never playing the game myself.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are fortunate to be in the ACC coastal, imo.

To the original topic, I am not optimistic. I still don't think we can consistently put enough pressure on QB's with our talent and depth of talent to win 4 quarter games against GOOD offenses. I also have major concerns about whether our "new" offense can stay on the field for decent amounts of time.

With that said, I have stated that if the offense can score points, I believe we could be bowl eligible next year. I will not hold my breath, but I do think with some great coaching (both in preparation and game day adjustments), it is possible. But, I don't think our D will win us games against VERY GOOD offenses.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

As for the DB, need i say more View attachment 5283

I see you are hinting at some of the things. Probably shouldn’t tell the rest of the story lol

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We are fortunate to be in the ACC coastal, imo.

To the original topic, I am not optimistic. I still don't think we can consistently put enough pressure on QB's with our talent and depth of talent to win 4 quarter games against GOOD offenses. I also have major concerns about whether our "new" offense can stay on the field for decent amounts of time.

With that said, I have stated that if the offense can score points, I believe we could be bowl eligible next year. I will not hold my breath, but I do think with some great coaching (both in preparation and game day adjustments), it is possible. But, I don't think our D will win us games against VERY GOOD offenses.

I’ve stressed the Coastal weakness enough i still thinks not understood how bad it is and thank god we get NCSU as our cross over after losing NFL QB/WR talent (i believe RB too)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don’t see why we can’t win the Coastal. VT doesn’t have a good defense to bail out their ****ty offense anymore. Miami doesn’t scare anybody. UVA is the biggest threat. 6-2 wins the Coastal and maybe 5-3. Gather ourselves up after Clemson, play stout D, and run the ball. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to be in the thick of it come November.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the DBs are pretty good. I'm most excited though about the fact that a certain middle linebacker is gone. That alone will make this defense much better.

If it were a problem with a player and their talent, then someone would have started over him. If we had someone who would play better, they’d have been the one playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk