Optimistic about the defense? Why?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you are optimistic about our defense this year please share your reasons. Last year, frankly, the DB’s sucked, the LB’s sucked and the DL was just OK and we lost all the starters from that unit. On top of that, we have a new scheme with new terminology to learn. We have new coaches who are supposed to be good, but there’s only so much they can do. You know what they say about chicken salad.

I know this sounds harsh, but the D scares the crap out of me and we won’t have a ball control offense to keep possessions down.

Hate to say it, but we had a quite capable DC last year and he couldn't get it done. Last year was a new scheme, but the more important problem was that we didn't have the horses. I don't see much difference this year, but you never know. One of the great things about college football is its unpredictability, from which hope springs eternal.

I am most hopeful about the D-backs, but if the D-line can't generate a pass rush it augurs to be more of the same. I just hope these guys are eating their Wheaties and hitting the weight room.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you are optimistic about our defense this year please share your reasons. Last year, frankly, the DB’s sucked, the LB’s sucked and the DL was just OK and we lost all the starters from that unit. On top of that, we have a new scheme with new terminology to learn. We have new coaches who are supposed to be good, but there’s only so much they can do. You know what they say about chicken salad.

I know this sounds harsh, but the D scares the crap out of me and we won’t have a ball control offense to keep possessions down.

There are plenty of reasons to worry about the D. Primarily for LB play and lack of pass rush from the edge.

So....on to reasons for optimism.
1. CGC has been very successful as a DC imo and Thacker gives me a good vibe also. I think the coaching aspect is in a good place pending further review.
2. Secondary play last year showed flashes of good play but was inconsistent overall. Not surprising imo due to a lot of youth there coupled with subpar LB play in front of them as well as a new DC, scheme, and likely new terminology etc. To stop rambling, I think inconsistency was understandable but I like the size, speed, athleticism, and play making several have shown at times. I think the secondary will play good ball this year.
3. The change to attacking gaps last year got off to a bit of a slow start. But I think they improved in this as the year progressed and this will pay dividends in our newest scheme as I think it’s more compatible with what we will do than what we were doing under Roof. I think the DTs will play good ball for us.

That kind of sums up my optimism. I share some of your concerns also. No pass rush returning. No solid LB play returning. Lost several seniors and our DE that gave us the most big plays at the LOS.

Coaches have work to do but I don’t think the cupboard is empty.

I’m hoping we go to a 3-3-5 as I think that could best fit our current personnel. It doesn’t typically fit with a press coverage from corners though so I doubt that’s what we see on the field.

Last edited:

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
If it were a problem with a player and their talent, then someone would have started over him. If we had someone who would play better, they’d have been the one playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now granted I'm not a football coach but BJS sure looked a lot better out there than the starter.

slugboy

Staff member
Another young player who has shown flashes but has also played inconsistent. Maybe it was all just terrible coaching.

Agree—It’s something systemic for sure. We changed players and got the same results all over again.

We’ve had plenty of film school posts on Defense. It’s not hard to find segments where both middle linebackers run into blocks. It happened last year. It happened with Roof.

Some people have hinted at reasons. There are a number of ways to rank defense, but we were in the bottom quarter of defenses last year (and most of the preceding years). That’s not a “start a senior out of loyalty” situation (if there ever is one). That’s an “all things pretty equal, give the young guys reps and get them good” situation.
College football is “eat or be eaten”. Even the most middling coaches are trying anything that gives them a shot.

Every defensive coordinator we had did better at other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

It does sound harsh but I am glad someone else feels the same way about our linebacker play. Out of position, late to the ball, ineffective on blitzes and incapable of covering backs coming out of the backfield.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It does sound harsh but I am glad someone else feels the same way about our linebacker play. Out of position, late to the ball, ineffective on blitzes and incapable of covering backs coming out of the backfield.
You forgot the most important one, IMO, can’t get off blocks. But our entire defensive personnel have trouble with that one which is not good at all.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
The biggest factor, I think, is the fact that for the first time in 12 years our defense will be practicing and scrimmaging against a shotgun-formation spread offense constantly and consistently all through the football practices, from the spring to the fall to the actual regular season football schedule. Instead of doing all of that (or at least a good bit of it) against CPJ’s flexbone spread option offense.

Now starting with this spring’s practices, we will see whether this difference will make any difference in the team’s defensive performance during next year’s regular football season games.

It will be interesting to watch.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don’t see why we can’t win the Coastal. VT doesn’t have a good defense to bail out their ****ty offense anymore. Miami doesn’t scare anybody. UVA is the biggest threat. 6-2 wins the Coastal and maybe 5-3. Gather ourselves up after Clemson, play stout D, and run the ball. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to be in the thick of it come November.

It feels like UVA’s year if they can avoid injuries.....badass defense and a beast at QB

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

It is not "harsh" so much as realistic. It has been a long time since we had a good defense. Some say we have talent (disagree but let it go), or that practicing against a normal offense will help or the secondary has potential, etc. So, show me, I am gullible when it comes to Tech football. That said, I am ready to be shocked if our defense is in the top 40 which is not a very high bar.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
While I'm not an expert when it comes to defensive scheme, the vast majority of players on our team were recruited to a 4-3 system since Woody only coached one year. I feel like the personnel is there and we have talent at every position. Given Temple's defensive prowess and CGC's history as a top notch DC, I feel like the coaching talent is assembled to be better on that side of the ball. That's where the strength of our team should be moving forward.

But it depends on what we define as "optimistic." We haven't had a top 60 FEI defense rating since those ratings started in 2007. Similarly, in the S&P+ ratings, our highest defensive rating in the last 10 years was 49th. If we break top 50 in either metric, I'd call it a highly successful turnaround. I think it's definitely possible if that's where we start putting our focus.

It is hard to win football games when you depend on your offense to control the ball 35 minutes and score just about every other possession but that is what happens when you are out of the top 60 FEI defense. It is truly remarkable we won as many games as we did under those conditions. A testament to Coach Johnson's game day coaching ability and the much maligned triple option.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased that Geoff brings SEC style defensive thinking to Tech. That alone is an improvement.

I recall what Jeremy Pruitt said on arriving at UT. "Yes, our players don't have any talent. But we are going to coach them, recruit them, and develop to play using a system that works ... not adjusting and using one that doesn't."

Coach Pruitt sounds like a wise man. A good prescription for rebuilding any program although that should not have been a decade long project at a near factory like Tennessee.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think the DBs are pretty good. I'm most excited though about the fact that a certain middle linebacker is gone. That alone will make this defense much better.

Do we have anyone any better? It is an indictment of our recruiting that we could not find better linebackers the past few years, or better defensive linemen, or better DBs. Don't start with the four star stuff, it is encouraging and impressive but I have yet to see anyone better than the modestly talented but productive Jemea Thomas from a few years ago. He hit people and they went down, he played both corner and safety in his career at Tech and did not make a big deal about making routine plays or tackles. Give me three or four of him and we are cooking.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest factor, I think, is the fact that for the first time in 12 years our defense will be practicing and scrimmaging against a shotgun-formation spread offense constantly and consistently all through the football practices, from the spring to the fall to the actual regular season football schedule. Instead of doing all of that (or at least a good bit of it) against CPJ’s flexbone spread option offense.

Now starting with this spring’s practices, we will see whether this difference will make any difference in the team’s defensive performance during next year’s regular football season games.

It will be interesting to watch.
So I wonder if we still struggle on D if folks who love to throw out this theory will come back here for a nice big crow sandwich? Somehow, I highly doubt it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So I wonder if we still struggle on D if folks who love to throw out this theory will come back here for a nice big crow sandwich? Somehow, I highly doubt it.

I am always amazed when our fans believe we have "great" and "deep" talent really anywhere, but especially on the most important part of the D, the front 7. We have guys that are better than FCS for the most part, but come on, in today's electronic big boy recruiting world, you cannot be in the 50's for recruiting rankings and end up with a "great defense". We also have some guys that are better than where they were ranked, although I don't believe this is a large quantity.

Can anyone show me an example of where a P5 team had a top 20 defense with multiple consecutive rankings of 50 or lower? I believe it is possible but highly unlikely.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I am always amazed when our fans believe we have "great" and "deep" talent really anywhere, but especially on the most important part of the D, the front 7. We have guys that are better than FCS for the most part, but come on, in today's electronic big boy recruiting world, you cannot be in the 50's for recruiting rankings and end up with a "great defense". We also have some guys that are better than where they were ranked, although I don't believe this is a large quantity.

Can anyone show me an example of where a P5 team had a top 20 defense with multiple consecutive rankings of 50 or lower? I believe it is possible but highly unlikely.

UVA is the one keep an eye on

Rivals ranking 61, 68, 69

Finished 21st in team defense

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Given the mess he inherited that is about what I would have expected but we could be looking at something similar this year. Tennessee is fortunate to be playing in the SEC East but has the misfortune of playing Alabama every year.

They have also had the misfortune of playing Vanderbilt a few times, too. LOL

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now granted I'm not a football coach but BJS sure looked a lot better out there than the starter.
Imo
When they had the MLB call the defense, bjs was out of consideration due to lack of expierence.
They should have found away to get him on the field.
When in he moved the pile or stopped the guard.

If he sits again then I was wrong.