Opinion question about the Georgia Tech quarterback situation 2017

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Taquon makes more sense to me than Matthew Jordan, with JJ Green becoming eligible it wouldn't hurt for him to take a RS year as the emergency third-string QB. I don't know why Matthew Jordan was moved to A-back, he was third-string with the #2 graduating. Either he was better at A-back than the guys there and could help that year, or there wasn't much confidence he'd hold on to his spot on the QB depth chart.
CPJ is real big about getting the best 11 on the field. He was that confident in MJ's ability that he had to try to get him on the field somewhere. I bet if Byerly was the #3 qb, he would have taken snaps at Bback.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, you're right. Common practice with QBs is to move them to another position for a year instead of having them get more practice at the QB spot. I mean after all, practice just really isn't that important to QBs compared to getting maybe 15 carries at another position on the year.

10/4.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
@Rock don't stop posting relevant info.

GTSwarm has followed the typical arc of a message board, and now has it's fair share of trolls and instigators. However, it is still by far the best place for relevant, trusted GT info, and objective discussion.

You can also utilize the ignore feature. It's amazing.
I second this. There are people I legitimately forgot posted here because I never see them. It's a quality of life feature.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'm too lazy to look it up but I am pretty sure at Southern a time or two a kid was stuck at AB then moved to QB....name JR Revere if I am getting the name right.

Not a common thing for sure, but also not unprecedented in an under center option offense. Pretty sure TM came in as an ATH.

We needed ABs desperately last year and had 3 QBs ahead of TM. Makes sense he'd play at AB. Wont hurt his knowledge of the O that's for sure.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I remembered reading this quote while going through this topic and found the actual post. PJ was thinking about Taquon Marshall at QB down the road as early as July of last year.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/28/tuesday-tech-review-the-mostly-paul-johnson-edition/

At that time Taquon would have been fifth on the depth chart behind Thomas, Byerly, Jordan, and CC, so he wasn't going to get any snaps at QB.

The same article mentions that at Navy Kaipo moved from backup QB to backup wide receiver for a year, and went on to start for 2 1/2 years. It's not unheard of, I mean Ryan Tannehill started at wide receiver as a freshman at Texas A&M and it stunted his growth so much that he now starts for the Dolphins.

Taquon makes more sense to me than Matthew Jordan, with JJ Green becoming eligible it wouldn't hurt for him to take a RS year as the emergency third-string QB. I don't know why Matthew Jordan was moved to A-back, he was third-string with the #2 graduating. Either he was better at A-back than the guys there and could help that year, or there wasn't much confidence he'd hold on to his spot on the QB depth chart.

At the time JT and TB were healthy and CPJ said that Jordan would not get any playing time as #3 QB. He wanted to get him some PT somewhere so he temporarily moved him to AB. Injuries all over the place forced changes.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ is real big about getting the best 11 on the field. He was that confident in MJ's ability that he had to try to get him on the field somewhere. I bet if Byerly was the #3 qb, he would have taken snaps at Bback.

I hope this is it. Besides, Byerly had been extremely durable and outside of the first two games Tech had a gauntlet of a schedule. I'm sure PJ didn't see any opportunities to get his #3 in the game.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope this is it. Besides, Byerly had been extremely durable and outside of the first two games Tech had a gauntlet of a schedule. I'm sure PJ didn't see any opportunities to get his #3 in the game.

That's exactly it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I remembered reading this quote while going through this topic and found the actual post. PJ was thinking about Taquon Marshall at QB down the road as early as July of last year.

Without any kind of context, the quote doesn't say anything about plans to move Marshall back to QB. Considering the position was recruited as if he wasn't going to be at QB and the move back to QB didn't happen before spring practice, and only after CC asked to be moved, I still see no reason to believe this move was planned as opposed to just a reactionary measure to a poor back up QB situation. It was also reported, in the AJC, that CC could possibly move back to QB, but nobody seems to think that is even a possibility. Because barring a disaster it isn't.

The same article mentions that at Navy Kaipo moved from backup QB to backup wide receiver for a year, and went on to start for 2 1/2 years.

You're right, although it appears he was more used on special teams, and an article I found mentioned something similar with the guy that came before him, Hampton, although the rosters I have found listed him as a QB even as a freshman. That being said, that practice has pretty much stopped as none of the QBs at GT have done so, and the last 3 navy QBs, Dobbs, Proctor, and Reynolds have all been QBs all the way I believe. Considering where navy was when Johnson took over, I think it's more likely that practice is a result of the state, and nature, of navy football rather than an active choice. Once Navy got more success that hasn't happened, it hasn't happened at GT, and based on media guides didn't appear to happen at GSU, at least under Johnson.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I am pretty sure at Southern a time or two a kid was stuck at AB then moved to QB....name JR Revere if I am getting the name right.

Revere was the starting QB at GSU Johnson's last 2 years there (00-01). Media guides list him as a QB all the way back to his tr fr year though. Before Revere was Hill, who was always a QB while Johnson was there, taking over midway through 97 after an injury to the starter. Hill was listed as a QB as a redshirt fr in the 96 media guide. Maybe it happened at some point, but it doesn't look like it was when johnson was the head coach

Both moves make sense. They moved Jordan because they thought CC was the future at QB, and didn't need a dedicated third string QB, while realizing that he was athletic enough to eventually be a starter at another position rather than a career backup at QB. Byerly gets hurt, they move him back. CC asks to switch positions, so they keep Jordan at QB. Jordan still isn't likely the guy going forward so they switch Marshall to throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. I think it's likely we either see TM redshirt this year, and if he stays at the position then it's a good sign that he'll take over, or if he doesn't, I'd almost be willing to put money on on of the rs. fr. to take over. Although Johnson is so in love with seniority that it's possible it won't be right away.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Without any kind of context, the quote doesn't say anything about plans to move Marshall back to QB. Considering the position was recruited as if he wasn't going to be at QB and the move back to QB didn't happen before spring practice, and only after CC asked to be moved, I still see no reason to believe this move was planned as opposed to just a reactionary measure to a poor back up QB situation. It was also reported, in the AJC, that CC could possibly move back to QB, but nobody seems to think that is even a possibility. Because barring a disaster it isn't.

You're right, although it appears he was more used on special teams, and an article I found mentioned something similar with the guy that came before him, Hampton, although the rosters I have found listed him as a QB even as a freshman. That being said, that practice has pretty much stopped as none of the QBs at GT have done so, and the last 3 navy QBs, Dobbs, Proctor, and Reynolds have all been QBs all the way I believe. Considering where navy was when Johnson took over, I think it's more likely that practice is a result of the state, and nature, of navy football rather than an active choice. Once Navy got more success that hasn't happened, it hasn't happened at GT, and based on media guides didn't appear to happen at GSU, at least under Johnson.

Revere was the starting QB at GSU Johnson's last 2 years there (00-01). Media guides list him as a QB all the way back to his tr fr year though. Before Revere was Hill, who was always a QB while Johnson was there, taking over midway through 97 after an injury to the starter. Hill was listed as a QB as a redshirt fr in the 96 media guide. Maybe it happened at some point, but it doesn't look like it was when johnson was the head coach

Both moves make sense. They moved Jordan because they thought CC was the future at QB, and didn't need a dedicated third string QB, while realizing that he was athletic enough to eventually be a starter at another position rather than a career backup at QB. Byerly gets hurt, they move him back. CC asks to switch positions, so they keep Jordan at QB. Jordan still isn't likely the guy going forward so they switch Marshall to throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. I think it's likely we either see TM redshirt this year, and if he stays at the position then it's a good sign that he'll take over, or if he doesn't, I'd almost be willing to put money on on of the rs. fr. to take over. Although Johnson is so in love with seniority that it's possible it won't be right away.

Well I'm sure you hope all this piss-poor QB planning works out for the best in the end, right? You wouldn't want it to all fall apart so you could say "I told you so." No real fan would do that...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm sure you hope all this piss-poor QB planning works out for the best in the end, right? You wouldn't want it to all fall apart so you could say "I told you so." No real fan would do that...

I never called it piss poor QB planning. Planning was fine. Hell I'd call it good. Injuries forced moves that would not have been made otherwise. I hope Marshall or Jordan or someone blows it out of the water. I'm just not holding my breath for great QB play for 2017.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I never called it piss poor QB planning. Planning was fine. Hell I'd call it good. Injuries forced moves that would not have been made otherwise. I hope Marshall or Jordan or someone blows it out of the water. I'm just not holding my breath for great QB play for 2017.

but see that's just the thing.
you have no clue what is going on behind the scenes and what they are doing, planning, what diet and workout routine they got who on..etc. etc.

Keep guessing my friend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
but see that's just the thing.
you have no clue what is going on behind the scenes and what they are doing, planning, what diet and workout routine they got who on..etc. etc.

Keep guessing my friend.

We're talking about the QB situation two years from now. It's all guesswork including what you are doing. So yeah, I'll keep guessing. And you will too.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
@lv20gt do you honestly think that nobody on the message board has a pulse on things better than anyone else? lol

So knowing someone in the program makes someone a prophet capable of telling us how our QB in two years will play? Just because someone knows someone on the team doesn't mean they are always right about everything that happens, especially when it comes projecting production of the future. Hell last year Johnson thought Skov would be a good first string BB. I, and many others, disagreed. I thinks it's fair to say at this point Johnson was the one who was wrong. And if the head coach can be wrong about future production then you bet that a family member of a player can be wrong as well.

Sorry I have an opinion that goes against yours. Just laugh, call me a troll, and move on.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
had a
So knowing someone in the program makes someone a prophet capable of telling us how our QB in two years will play? Just because someone knows someone on the team doesn't mean they are always right about everything that happens, especially when it comes projecting production of the future. Hell last year Johnson thought Skov would be a good first string BB. I, and many others, disagreed. I thinks it's fair to say at this point Johnson was the one who was wrong. And if the head coach can be wrong about future production then you bet that a family member of a player can be wrong as well.

Sorry I have an opinion that goes against yours. Just laugh, call me a troll, and move on.

Bc I have been wrong before lol.
I told you guys TB had a torn ACL long before is was released.
Also told you he wasn't coming back months before it was "announced"
and there were a few more I don't remember.

Troll.