Opinion question about the Georgia Tech quarterback situation 2017

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
taquon starts out at AB, wastes a year moves to QB
MJ goes QB, then AB, then QB when it dawned on our staff our QB depth sucks. Why this was not obvious I don't know.
CC starts out at QB, moves to S, will waste a year and move back to QB next year when the coaches realize we need another option.

hmmm

just saying, you can a really pessimistic view of why and how we are handling that position in depth. So obviously out of nowhere, while playing AB, Taquon now showed he is a QB. We had plenty of AB's last year preseason prior to injury for taquon to start out as QB. Yes, I get we had a bunch of AB injuries, but that was during the season and well after we slotted him for AB.

for me, we wasted the kids time in the system, gaining good reps prepping for 2017. Cheese pointed out how long it takes to get it...and it does...which is why I am perplexed why we don't leave more QB's in this system to grow... CC another example IMO

Anyway, call me perplexed a tad....He played QB his whole life. If he is D1 starting material he had no business starting out at AB IMO

Of course, you can take the CPJ knows best avenue, which, may be, but coaches make mistakes too...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
MJ goes QB, then AB, then QB when it dawned on our staff our QB depth sucks. Why this was not obvious I don't know.
CC starts out at QB, moves to S, will waste a year and move back to QB next year when the coaches realize we need another option.

hmmm

just saying, you can a really pessimistic view of why and how we are handling that position in depth. So obviously out of nowhere, while playing AB, Taquon now showed he is a QB. We had plenty of AB's last year preseason prior to injury for taquon to start out as QB. Yes, I get we had a bunch of AB injuries, but that was during the season and well after we slotted him for AB.

for me, we wasted the kids time in the system, gaining good reps prepping for 2017. Cheese pointed out how long it takes to get it...and it does...which is why I am perplexed why we don't leave more QB's in this system to grow... CC another example IMO

Anyway, call me perplexed a tad....He played QB his whole life. If he is D1 starting material he had no business starting out at AB IMO

Of course, you can take the CPJ knows best avenue, which, may be, but coaches make mistakes too...

So, you're telling me that back in 2013, you would foreseen and have planned for: 1) Vad transferring, 2) Ratliffe being in a career-ending accident, 3) Byerly not being able to be the #2QB due to injury, and finally 4) Byerly not being granted another year of eligibility. Then you would have been able to, with this knowledge, reorder the QB depth chart to ensure guys didn't get bounced between positions as we tried to figure out how to handle the backup and future QB situation.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

hmmm

CPJ knows best avenue. You don't

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

hmmm

I appreciate you brother, but sometimes your critique leaves data behind.

In addition to what @SidewalkJacket said, you seem to not know that CC wanted to move to safety and that we have two more QBs coming in this Fall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

In addition to what @SidewalkJacket said, you seem to not know that CC wanted to move to safety and that we have two more QBs coming in this Fall.
I think 33's main point is that it takes a good 3 yrs to develop the kind of proficiency in the offense needed to be successful. We have numbers, but in a perfect world, you 'd like numbers with progressive experienced mixed in.

Your point is a good one, too, he left off lots of data points and then glosses over the fact that we really needed Taquan at AB last year when the injury bug bit so hard. TM was recruited as a AB all the way as are many hs qbs. Infact, we have always had multiple hs qb's on the team at various positions. That fact is well known.

Just think, the best qb prospect on the team might just be playing safety right now.

When all is said and done, I think it's a good strategy as having multiple hs qb's gives you flexibility as they are typically outstanding athletes, have great instincts and football iq.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think 33's main point is that it takes a good 3 yrs to develop the kind of proficiency in the offense needed to be successful. We have numbers, but in a perfect world, you 'd like numbers with progressive experienced mixed in.

Your point is a good one, too, he left off lots of data points and then glosses over the fact that we really needed Taquan at AB last year when the injury bug bit so hard. TM was recruited as a AB all the way as are many hs qbs. Infact, we have always had multiple hs qb's on the team at various positions. That fact is well known.

Just think, the best qb prospect on the team might just be playing safety right now.

When all is said and done, I think it's a good strategy as having multiple hs qb's gives you flexibility as they are typically outstanding athletes, have great instincts and football iq.

I disagree with you on @33jacket 's main point. His main point seemed to be a bash on our staff. TM "wasted a year" (ignoring that we needed him at AB, that CC was RS'ing at QB etc). He said that MJ started at QB moved to AB and then back to QB "when it dawned on our staff our QB depth sucks (again ignoring that TB was an experienced back-up to JT and that MJ was always available as our #3 QB with CC as #4 on a RS year). He brought-up your opinion about how long it takes to develop as QB in our system only in support of the argument that our staff doesn't know what it's doing.

The fact is that it takes time to develop proficiency at QB in any system. That's why you want to have 3 or 4 guys in that system. It's just crazy, imo though, to think that we should be developing five guys at QB, which is what the situation would've been if we had started developing TM at QB last Summer/Fall.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who will be the QB in 2017 but I think it's very likely we'll struggle there. QB, even in our system, is not a position that you move guys away from for one year while you wait for the depth to thin out. It's not comparable to the idea of playing Allen at Aback one year then moving him to Bback, or trying guys out for one year at QB before moving to other positions. The fact that TM started here as an Aback and Jordan was moved to AB last year tells me that Johnson didn't consider either of them long term fixtures at the QB position. If you think a guy has a chance to be the started after Thomas, you don't put him at/switch him to another position. There is too much value in the experience even as a third string QB to make that move. Marshall only touched the ball 11 times last year, and nearly half of those came against the first two OOC teams we played. Jordan wouldn't have done much more either. To act like those moves were one year decisions is wishful thinking. Those were moves made with 2-3 years down the road in mind. Not just that year. Both are good athletes, but it takes more than athleticism to be a QB.

Hopefully though we either have a stud freshman QB, true or RS, or Johnson was mistaken in his evaluations of one or both Marshall and Jordan.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Who ever it's going to be in 2017 hopefully gets meaningful snaps this season. I can see us putting the ball on the ground 4-5 times that first game. Regardless of how good or bad Tenn might be going into that season they're going to have an entire spring and fall to get ready for us. Breaking in a new starting qb in this system against a quality SEC team is not a recipe for a W. Hopefully the Oline will be in a better spot and the youth that was forced into playing last year at the skill positions will have 2 full season under there belt to take some of the pressure of the qb. Personally I'd like to see us start TM if he has JT speed. MJ in short yardage and goaline situations. Redshirt the two fr this year and bring them along slowly next year. There's talent at A&B back as well as WR. Hopefully it clicks for someone at QB like it did in 2014 for JT.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Ilike 33Jacket and consider him a good friend.But even friends don't always agree. I think John is doing a little CPJ bashing and I don't appreciate that.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Maryland played us pretty stoutly in 2012, using a linebacker as their 5th string QB, IIRC. Perhaps, Maryland's coaches should have anticipated that string of bad luck and had a true QB waiting in the wings as that 5th string QB.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with you on @33jacket 's main point. His main point seemed to be a bash on our staff. TM "wasted a year" (ignoring that we needed him at AB, that CC was RS'ing at QB etc). He said that MJ started at QB moved to AB and then back to QB "when it dawned on our staff our QB depth sucks (again ignoring that TB was an experienced back-up to JT and that MJ was always available as our #3 QB with CC as #4 on a RS year). He brought-up your opinion about how long it takes to develop as QB in our system only in support of the argument that our staff doesn't know what it's doing.

The fact is that it takes time to develop proficiency at QB in any system. That's why you want to have 3 or 4 guys in that system. It's just crazy, imo though, to think that we should be developing five guys at QB, which is what the situation would've been if we had started developing TM at QB last Summer/Fall.

My sole objective on this board is to post everything as a fringe opinion to boost likes, disagreements and increase the total debate level of this board.

I troll so much so subtlely its lol for me sometimes. Hell its a message board. Its fun

Half our staff does suck though imo

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I get that. But a player shouldnt determine where he goes either. Again i think we need qb depth with more time in the system. One year not enough imo. And mj is a backup for me. I guess i think we need less switching at that position

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ knows best avenue. You don't

When he fires roof i will agree.

But i stated many things on this board the team needed paul eventually publicly said too, weeks and months before paul said it regarding scheme etc. so sure i dont know everything but i sure as hell know some things

Rumor is roof bought stock in dep gel to boost post game presser look