Opening Weeknd - UIC/Richmond/WVU

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Opening weekend is 5 days away...where we meet U of Ill-Chicago, Richmond, and West Virginia ... in that order. CDH seemed to already call (in recent radio interview) Curry as the "Friday" starter. Not a surprise; but weather is most concerning on Friday right now.. for what that is worth. Also.. the most capable opponent all weekend is WVU...again, FWIW.

Based on pre-season expectations, Tech should win all 3 of these games. I have no information on specific pitching talent for any of these teams which can, obviously, be an 'equalizer' if one of the teams has an elite arm on its staff. GO JACKETS!! Thrilled that the season is upon us.

Forecast I just checked:
Fri - 65deg/T-storms
Sat - 52deg/Partly Cloudy
Sun - 55deg/Partly Cloudy

Deleted member 2897

Opening weekend is 5 days away...where we meet U of Ill-Chicago, Richmond, and West Virginia ... in that order. CDH seemed to already call (in recent radio interview) Curry as the "Friday" starter. Not a surprise; but weather is most concerning on Friday right now.. for what that is worth. Also.. the most capable opponent all weekend is WVU...again, FWIW.

Based on pre-season expectations, Tech should win all 3 of these games. I have no information on specific pitching talent for any of these teams which can, obviously, be an 'equalizer' if one of the teams has an elite arm on its staff. GO JACKETS!! Thrilled that the season is upon us.

Forecast I just checked:
Fri - 65deg/T-storms
Sat - 52deg/Partly Cloudy
Sun - 55deg/Partly Cloudy

We've had a frustrating go of it (mostly) in the other big sports lately. Man we've got the talent in baseball. How about a 42-20 season for a nice change of pace?!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at the pitching for the teams:
  • Chicago has a Cyrillo Watson who is #204 of 350 in best 2019 prospects. We'll probably see him. Curry is#93 and should start on Friday
  • Richmond has Layne Looney who is #221. Don't know how the Spiders will play it. I think he is usually their Friday starter and they have Georgia State on Friday. They'd like to win that one too. I could see us starting someone other than Thomas on Saturday.
  • WVU has the highest ranked pitcher on the field this weekend. Alek Manoah #17 of 350. He has been their Friday starter and I'd think that, like Curry, WVU would get into their rotation. But they play Kennesaw State on Friday and Georgia State on Saturday, so they could well save him. Sunday is interesting since maybe we put Thomas into that slot.
Friday we'll see who has been used and who is saved.

Regardless, we are going to have to get runs and have a good D (especially in-field) to go 3-0.

Really looking forward to the season starting(y)(y)(y)

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
Alek Monoah is a big dude...6'6', 245 lbs.
Alek_Manoah_1920_X_1080_.jpg

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey Fellas... Whilst looking at the roster earlier today I counted 41 players. Now we know Archer is injured so that is 40, and Hall had back surgery so that is 39. Can anyone tell me how we will get to the NCAA number of 35?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Hey Fellas... Whilst looking at the roster earlier today I counted 41 players. Now we know Archer is injured so that is 40, and Hall had back surgery so that is 39. Can anyone tell me how we will get to the NCAA number of 35?
That's a good question. I went back to look at the roster and I have no idea where those cuts will be made. I did notice that they list Will Shirah as a RS freshman though so he got a medical redshirt.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

That's a good question. I went back to look at the roster and I have no idea where those cuts will be made. I did notice that they list Will Shirah as a RS freshman though so he got a medical redshirt.
I'd go by GPA.

...in addition to that, I'd never be considered for the job.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Figure a couple of freshmen will be redshirted. Maybe another injury out there we are not aware of. Then a couple of guys most likely got cut.

I’m a whole lot of help, huh??

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Next time someone in the football forum bitches about unis, this needs to be shown.

Would a potato sack be more fitting (tic) (for WVU)?

What does a potato sack have to do w/ WVU?

Pumped to get the season started. Hopefully they’ll carry a lot of games on WatchESPN again and not try to move them to espn+ or accn. GT baseball was a driving force for mounting a second tv up to have the games up on mute.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
While we're waiting on Ga Tech to publish it's plan.... according to Richmond's game notes, Cort Roedig gets the Saturday start.
https://richmondspiders.com/documents/2019/2/14/2019_Baseball_Game_Notes_Games_1_3.pdf

I'm wrong a lot... but I think this would indicate CDH is holding Thomas to go Sun against WVU (toughest opponent on paper). Curry to continue his Fri start streak dating back to his first start of career in 2017. I would like that rotation for this weekend.

Curry has faced UIC twice.... 2-0 & hasn't given up a run in 14 innings.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't remember where I saw it but I think I heard Curry is starting Friday from one of the GT Baseball social media accounts. I would expect to see Thomas on Sunday for WVU.

That said, weather for this weekend in Atlanta looks iffy. May see a doubleheader Saturday as there is rain in the forecast for Friday and Sunday.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't remember where I saw it but I think I heard Curry is starting Friday from one of the GT Baseball social media accounts. I would expect to see Thomas on Sunday for WVU.

That said, weather for this weekend in Atlanta looks iffy. May see a doubleheader Saturday as there is rain in the forecast for Friday and Sunday.
Not sure a DH will be possible due to the “round robin” format. Sure hope we can get all three games in somehow though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While we're waiting on Ga Tech to publish it's plan.... according to Richmond's game notes, Cort Roedig gets the Saturday start.
https://richmondspiders.com/documents/2019/2/14/2019_Baseball_Game_Notes_Games_1_3.pdf

I'm wrong a lot... but I think this would indicate CDH is holding Thomas to go Sun against WVU (toughest opponent on paper). Curry to continue his Fri start streak dating back to his first start of career in 2017. I would like that rotation for this weekend.

Curry has faced UIC twice.... 2-0 & hasn't given up a run in 14 innings.

I think baseball theology is split on when to pitch your second best pitcher. Best goes Friday night. Second best usually goes Sunday I think based on what I've seen our ACC opponents seem to prefer to do. The chatter runs something like you need to win the opener. Then Sundays game is next most important to either win the series or sweep. Since a sweep of any team is hard, you put your second best pitcher on Sunday.

So it could well be that Thomas would be in the Sunday spot regardless of opponent.

I think there was a time when our starting pitching was so weak that it made sense to put our second best on Saturday against the opponents typical third best. Just to get a more likely win on Saturday rather than lose on Saturday and Sunday. ............ (I would digress to ask, "How many away series have we won recently?") ...........

I don't really care; win 'em all and think about it later.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think baseball theology is split on when to pitch your second best pitcher. Best goes Friday night. Second best usually goes Sunday I think based on what I've seen our ACC opponents seem to prefer to do. The chatter runs something like you need to win the opener. Then Sundays game is next most important to either win the series or sweep. Since a sweep of any team is hard, you put your second best pitcher on Sunday.

So it could well be that Thomas would be in the Sunday spot regardless of opponent.

I think there was a time when our starting pitching was so weak that it made sense to put our second best on Saturday against the opponents typical third best. Just to get a more likely win on Saturday rather than lose on Saturday and Sunday. ............ (I would digress to ask, "How many away series have we won recently?") ...........

I don't really care; win 'em all and think about it later.
I like the "debate" & it's certainly can put one in knots thinking about it. I'm fine with CT pitching on Sundays as long as there is no chance that 3rd game is in jeopardy due to weather.

According to WVU, he will be going Sunday.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...019/2/14/basenotes021419_AtlantaChallange.pdf