Opening Weeknd - UIC/Richmond/WVU

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to wait to judge the weekend until after the game tonight, but we have a problem getting runners in. That's a major concern.

Edit: We also need to figure out the third starter. I would make it Hurter and then let Roedig/Bartnicki learn in the weekday role.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to wait to judge the weekend until after the game tonight, but we have a problem getting runners in. That's a major concern.

Edit: We also need to figure out the third starter. I would make it Hurter and then let Roedig/Bartnicki learn in the weekday role.
Waaaaaaay Way too early to make any judgement on this season. Unfortunately, every loss is a referendum on Hall & his irrefutable "decline" over the last a lot of years.

I still have no reason to believe (after only 2 games) 2019 won't be the best in a decade. I also have no reason to believe it won't be a repeat of 201x

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Waaaaaaay Way too early to make any judgement on this season. Unfortunately, every loss is a referendum on Hall & his irrefutable "decline" over the last a lot of years.

I still have no reason to believe (after only 2 games) 2019 won't be the best in a decade. I also have no reason to believe it won't be a repeat of 201x
Obviously I wanted a sweep this weekend, but Hall still needs to figure out what combinations work and who he can trust in game. I believe we can win 2 out of 3 every weekend with Curry and Thomas, so we just need to figure out who the Sunday guy should be. Roedig looked like a freshman who hasn't pitched in a college game yet, so that was no surprise what he did today. Honestly, Willingham pitched well except for 2 pitches.

Edit: If we can win 2 out of 3 every weekend then we'll be 20-10 in the ACC so that is my goal for every weekend.

I would have a rotation of Curry, Thomas, Hurter next weekend and then move Murray to the lead off spot. The pen has been pretty solid so far, so I'm not worried about them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We have Omaha talent. But D1 Baseball is exactly right - we have to show we know to win.

We lost to a better team today. And they are the lowest ranked we are going to see for a while. Sure things can change; but are more likely to stay the same.

I'll watch the start of the second game while doing my Mom's taxes. Taxes are a lot more fun than the last game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t seem to me pitching is the major problem.

Disagree. Strongly. To be a good team, you must win some games 4-3 and 3-2. The days of building a program by bombing your way to wins 14-10 are long gone in college baseball. If you give up 7 runs (much like in the major leagues) you deserve an L.

Danny Hall teams....SSDY

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
UR game was rough. Couldn't get anything going at the plate. Willingham was good in relief until the two home run inning, probably should have taken him out earlier. Thought Hall did a good job pulling Roedig after 1.1 but I didn't understand why he gave Willingham such a longer leash.

Lots of mistakes at the plate. Hit about 1,000 balls to their shortstop. Swung at a lot of first pitches. Baron just missed a 3 run bomb in B8, pulled it just foul. Lots of our hits were caught on the warning track. Wind was blowing in the whole time, knocking stuff down. Serratos probably would have had a HR if not for wind blowing in.

That said we certainly didn't play well enough to win. Not going to beat anyone playing like that. Hopefully we can find our rhythm at the plate tonight vs WVU.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. Strongly. To be a good team, you must win some games 4-3 and 3-2. The days of building a program by bombing your way to wins 14-10 are long gone in college baseball. If you give up 7 runs (much like in the major leagues) you deserve an L.

Danny Hall teams....SSDY
For this game.... pitching & hitting were the problems. Both.

We deserved to be shutout. THE run came on a triple that was really an error & a passed ball.

There could not be a more worst case scenario on pitching staff (...correlated... tough spot for coaching staff) Opening weekend DH.... due to weather. Presumably, you play matchups & hold your best pitcher left (Thomas) to play best team (WVU). Ahead of time... we all seemed to like this decision.

You're left to roll out a pitcher with no experience who struggles to throw strikes. It's T2 in an 18 inning day, & you go to pen. That guy (Willingham) in his 1st appearance comes in with bases loaded 1 out. Survives with minimum damage. Good on him. He did actually look good today. But now you need him to log innings. He comes up short. IIWII. Now you're in a real hole.

Easy to use hindsight. I don't want to defend Hall. I really don't. But the situation is/was not normal or easy. Credit Richmond. We should be big Spiders fans from here out. ;)

More offense would have solved a lot.
Let's hope we're spring loaded for WVU.

So basically you are determined to not be disappointed. I like that approach.

Deleted member 2897

The scary thing is that Todd sat down with him in the off season TWO years ago to figure out how to turn things around. The outcome was basically “we’re going to try harder”. Then that didn’t work, and last off season Todd basically said as long as Hall’s coaching mind was sharp there is no record that would get him fired. I mean I’m not a fan of firing people, especially long term hall of game type guys. But this slump is SEVERAL years. He’s become the Bobby Bowden that wouldn’t retire.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Why is decline in quotes? It's factual and statistically proven.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hitting the piss out of the ball. Up 3-0.

I can't take the announcer from Kennesaw State. We have been spoiled with Wiley, Jim Poole and others.

Don't want to say anything to jinx Thomas.

But after regurgitating the afternoon game, I think we may have to have English start on the weekends.

Edit: Serratos with an error. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. PISS

Edit edit: Waddell makes a great play for a double play. We make this too interesting with inconsistent in-field play.

Last edited: