Opening Weeknd - UIC/Richmond/WVU

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like rain could start between 4 and 5 today. Wouldn't be surprised if they bumped first pitch up to 2 or 3pm to make sure they get the game in.

Forecast for tomorrow is looking better too. Now mostly worried about Sunday.

FWIW GTBaseball Twitter seems to have confirmed that Curry is starting today by using the hashtag #ZayDay

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the pitching for the teams:
  • Chicago has a Cyrillo Watson who is #204 of 350 in best 2019 prospects. We'll probably see him. Curry is#93 and should start on Friday
  • Richmond has Layne Looney who is #221. Don't know how the Spiders will play it. I think he is usually their Friday starter and they have Georgia State on Friday. They'd like to win that one too. I could see us starting someone other than Thomas on Saturday.
  • WVU has the highest ranked pitcher on the field this weekend. Alek Manoah #17 of 350. He has been their Friday starter and I'd think that, like Curry, WVU would get into their rotation. But they play Kennesaw State on Friday and Georgia State on Saturday, so they could well save him. Sunday is interesting since maybe we put Thomas into that slot.
Friday we'll see who has been used and who is saved.

Regardless, we are going to have to get runs and have a good D (especially in-field) to go 3-0.

Really looking forward to the season starting(y)(y)(y)
Manoah gets the start today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Much more later, but I wanted to go on the record that I like how Hall pulled Curry quick after the 2 R HR followed by a single. And then pulled Hurter after an inning opening walk. Either throw effectively or get the f out.

Sure we are going through pitchers but I'd rather establish the tone of produce or you don't play. The Double Header tomorrow is going to be interesting. Hurter could pitch some tomorrow.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Much more later, but I wanted to go on the record that I like how Hall pulled Curry quick after the 2 R HR followed by a single. And then pulled Hurter after an inning opening walk. Either throw effectively or get the f out.

Sure we are going through pitchers but I'd rather establish the tone of produce or you don't play. The Double Header tomorrow is going to be interesting. Hurter could pitch some tomorrow.
Jackets win 6-3!! Solid game all around and a good win. Nice to see Hughes pitch 2 solid innings!!
Yes & Yes. I'll pile on...
...left runs on table. Nice win, though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes & Yes. I'll pile on...
...left runs on table. Nice win, though.

On the bright side, we had power to spare. Lots of power. Scoring 6 in 8 innings while leaving 10 on with bone headed running shows that.

Pitching. Freaking awesome.
Curry - 88 pitches and 58 strikes. 66%. Really was unhittable at times. His nemesis last year and tonight was the long ball.
Hurter - great coming in. But then lead off 6 pitch walk to start the 7th. I was overjoyed to see him pulled immediately. Hall has allowed too many pitchers to linger in the past. Hurter only threw 17 pitches (11 strikes =65%) so he could go tomorrow if we need him. I don't think he will since Hall will be auditioning a lot of others before ACC play.
Hughes - 6 outs on 7 hitters. 14 of 19 pitches were strikes (74%). Going to be a great pitcher this year - middle relief or closing or whatever we need.
English - Living up to the hype. 7 of 9 pitches were strikes in the ninth. He could definitely pitch tomorrow; unless he plays 1st in both games. But it's English, so maybe.

Runs left on the table?? Like 10 left on base in 8 innings. And that "pick off" of Austin was a BS call. Wish I had recorded it. And Carter Hall trying to get a double on an error was greedy, arrogant, stupid and he deservedly got thrown out at second. We weren't playing a HS team.

Our in-field fielding was suspect. Austin with an error and others missed opportunities for outs. In the ninth, Webb at first for English made a really nice stretch on a bad Serratos throw. Our out-field fielding was another Nick highlight real. The catch at the wall in the fifth was a thing of beauty.

Tomorrow we'll see a lot more. Looks like we'll get both games in based on weather. Looking forward to seeing Roedig. With both games tomorrow, no question that Thomas goes against WVU.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side, we had power to spare. Lots of power. Scoring 6 in 8 innings while leaving 10 on with bone headed running shows that.

Pitching. Freaking awesome.
Curry - 88 pitches and 58 strikes. 66%. Really was unhittable at times. His nemesis last year and tonight was the long ball.
Hurter - great coming in. But then lead off 6 pitch walk to start the 7th. I was overjoyed to see him pulled immediately. Hall has allowed too many pitchers to linger in the past. Hurter only threw 17 pitches (11 strikes =65%) so he could go tomorrow if we need him. I don't think he will since Hall will be auditioning a lot of others before ACC play.
Hughes - 6 outs on 7 hitters. 14 of 19 pitches were strikes (74%). Going to be a great pitcher this year - middle relief or closing or whatever we need.
English - Living up to the hype. 7 of 9 pitches were strikes in the ninth. He could definitely pitch tomorrow; unless he plays 1st in both games. But it's English, so maybe.

Runs left on the table?? Like 10 left on base in 8 innings. And that "pick off" of Austin was a BS call. Wish I had recorded it. And Carter Hall trying to get a double on an error was greedy, arrogant, stupid and he deservedly got thrown out at second. We weren't playing a HS team.

Our in-field fielding was suspect. Austin with an error and others missed opportunities for outs. In the ninth, Webb at first for English made a really nice stretch on a bad Serratos throw. Our out-field fielding was another Nick highlight real. The catch at the wall in the fifth was a thing of beauty.

Tomorrow we'll see a lot more. Looks like we'll get both games in based on weather. Looking forward to seeing Roedig. With both games tomorrow, no question that Thomas goes against WVU.
I think Hall has more confidence in the pen this year (and more options) so I bet that we'll see some quick hooks this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Runs left on the table?? Like 10 left on base in 8 innings. And that "pick off" of Nick was a BS call. Wish I had recorded it. And Colin Hall trying to get a double on an error was greedy, arrogant, stupid and he deservedly got thrown out at second. We weren't playing a HS team.
FIFY(in bold)
Good summary, Nuke!

1BB from entire staff. None from Curry. Great sign. ...& like you said, that walk resulted in immediate pitching change.

...also the lineup "smelled like" analytics to me. McCann batting 2nd would be exhibit A. Those of you who hate SAC bunts (esp early in games) will love him in that spot.

Deleted member 2897

So what I’m reading is what a less than perfect looking win. I’ll take 44 more of those please!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad to see Roedig pulled after 4 outs. Kid just couldn't throw strikes. Not surprising for a Fr. Quick hook again.

Get to see Willingham who inherits bases loaded, 1 out.