Only off topic coversations!

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
With J Batt and Pope on board, I would not be surprised to see Key go back to the well at Alabama. Lupoi is probably too expensive, but Kuligowski, Scott and Perry are options. And I would not rule out a return of Jeremy Pruitt either.
Pruitt is a no go! He is serving a six-year show-cause for his role. Pruitt's show-cause includes a 100% suspension for the first year of employment should an NCAA school hire in him in any athletics position. If he is not hired in those 6 years. When his time is up he can go back to coaching for any team with penalty.

The name that has been talked the most about is Tylar Santucci. But on the JOL overreaction YouTube show by Kelly Quinnlan. He said the candidates that have been interviewed are employed. Which makes no sense about Tylar Santucci.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pope played LB in college even if he only coached it one year at Liberty. My guess he will coach LBs and Simpson will coach the DL.
Not saying this is right and Tech has not said anything so far,

According to John Brice at FootballScoop, Georgia Tech is going to hire Memphis defensive line coach and defensive run game coordinator Kyle Pope to be a defensive assistant. According to Brice's report, "Pope will continue to work with defensive linemen in his new role at Georgia Tech."

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Not saying this is right and Tech has not said anything so far,

According to John Brice at FootballScoop, Georgia Tech is going to hire Memphis defensive line coach and defensive run game coordinator Kyle Pope to be a defensive assistant. According to Brice's report, "Pope will continue to work with defensive linemen in his new role at Georgia Tech."
He could be coaching DE/OLB like Coleman use to back in 2019-2021.

slugboy

Staff member
Unless we make a scheme change, we only have 2 LBs on the field. OLB is half of the LBs, if that. Why have an OLB coach?

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Unless we make a scheme change, we only have 2 LBs on the field. OLB is half of the LBs, if that. Why have an OLB coach?
The DC that have been talked about and seem to be in the running. They run a more traditional 4-3 defense. I think we go to a more of a 4-3 multiple defense.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe we’ll be running multiple sets, and certain players will have DE responsibilities in some sets and OLB responsibilities in others. So they get coached along with anyone who would be considered a Will or Sam linebacker.

slugboy

Staff member
The DC that have been talked about and seem to be in the running. They run a more traditional 4-3 defense. I think we go to a more of a 4-3 multiple defense.
Santucci at Duke had a 4-2-5. So did Durkin at Texas A&M.

Clemson is multiple on defense. I’m kind of surprised it’s not more common

Last edited:

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Santucci at Duke had a 4-2-5. So did Durkin at Texas A&M.
So mike elko ran a more 3-4 defense. Duke ran what Elko wanted to run not Santucci. Durkin ran a 4-2-5 multiple defense. Depending on the team they faced. He would run a 3-2-6 when facing Ole Miss. He did use some 4-3 as well at times

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pruitt is a no go! He is serving a six-year show-cause for his role. Pruitt's show-cause includes a 100% suspension for the first year of employment should an NCAA school hire in him in any athletics position. If he is not hired in those 6 years. When his time is up he can go back to coaching for any team with penalty.

The name that has been talked the most about is Tylar Santucci. But on the JOL overreaction YouTube show by Kelly Quinnlan. He said the candidates that have been interviewed are employed. Which makes no sense about Tylar Santucci.
Santucci may still be under contract, thus employed. Tillman and Thacker are still employed, for now.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Santucci may still be under contract, thus employed. Tillman and Thacker are still employed, for now.
That is false! He is not on Dukes coaching staff. Manny Diaz hire Jonthan Patke as the nes DCand LB coach. The same position that Santucci was. Even KQ has him as unemployed. So he is unemployed.

As for Thacker and Tillman they were moved to off-field positions but we they will not be retained as there contracts end this month.

Them being move to off-field positions was because them being let go was leaked before they wanted it to be. Thus why the DC search and all is so tight lipped.

slugboy

Staff member
So mike elko ran a more 3-4 defense. Duke ran what Elko wanted to run not Santucci. Durkin ran a 4-2-5 multiple defense. Depending on the team they faced. He would run a 3-2-6 when facing Ole Miss. He did use some 4-3 as well at times
Every depth chart I can find for Duke has 4 down linemen and 2 linebackers, and says they run (ran) a 4-2-5.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Every depth chart I can find for Duke has 4 down linemen and 2 linebackers, and says they run (ran) a 4-2-5.
I could be wrong. It would be the first time. I just know what Elko liked to run.

Personally I think a 4-3 MD would help out our run defense. Just my opinion.

But with Pope and Simpson on staff. How ever they want to title them and who coaches what. I feel we are in good hands.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong. It would be the first time. I just know what Elko liked to run.

Personally I think a 4-3 MD would help out our run defense. Just my opinion.

But with Pope and Simpson on staff. How ever they want to title them and who coaches what. I feel we are in good hands.
If you had the right personnel, a killer defense would be a 5-1-5. Would require an elite none tackle, super athletic defensive ends and linebacker, and two safetys who were tough with run support.

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan
That is false!

IMG_2558.jpeg