Only off topic coversations!

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
What are legit name that have been heard for the DC position? Also, any other names being rumored for the other defensive positions coach openings?

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks apatriot1776. Quinlan is well connected
Apparently, he's not a uga football fan either, even though that's where he went to school. I'd like to see that tested.

Oops, Giff Smith is definitely out. He said he'd never go back to college, ever. Quinlin spent a lot of time talking about Durkin and his former problems. Said there was a REAL LONG SHOT that he wasn't going to mention because he didn't want to get anyone's hopes up.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Apparently, he's not a uga football fan either, even though that's where he went to school. I'd like to see that tested.

Oops, Giff Smith is definitely out. He said he'd never go back to college, ever. Quinlin spent a lot of time talking about Durkin and his former problems. Said there was a REAL LONG SHOT that he wasn't going to mention because he didn't want to get anyone's hopes up.
I heard the real long shot was................George O'Leary

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
DJ Durkin would be a great hire.
Why? Ole Miss was 42nd in 2019 in defensive SP+, and fell to 80th when he was hired in 2020 (admittedly 36th in 2021). TAMU was 7th in 2021, fell to 18th when he was hired in 2022. They are currently 20th with all that talent. Even leaving all the off-field stuff aside (and I really don't think we should), what makes you think he's any better than a replacement level coordinator?

RamblinWreck22

Georgia Tech Fan
My prediction is we will get Santucci. He has familiarity with Simpson, is in our price range, and is a young up and comer (I like someone trying to make a name for them-self).

slugboy

Staff member
Price range is one factor. Another is “how well do these defenses perform against Kansas and Ole Miss and newer offenses”?
The defense has to work against Boston College and UCF, and it has to work against offenses that sling it.

If someone is stuck in their ways, that’s no good

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
😄😄3rd time a charm?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704407125582.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704407125582.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 382

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess at this point is that we won't hear more until about this time next week. Since it's been quiet until now (and this is the sort of thing you don't sneak out in a press release on a Friday afternoon), I'm pretty sure Key is going to be interviewing some more candidates at the AFCA Convention this weekend before he finalizes anything.

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My prediction is we will get Santucci. He has familiarity with Simpson, is in our price range, and is a young up and comer (I like someone trying to make a name for them-self).
I don't know if it was just Elko but Duke played very solid defense the last couple of years plus they recruit the same sort of kids we do. This would be a good hire IMO. I am a little surprised a DC has not been officially hired.